Container Store
www.containerstore.com Coppell, TX 1000 to 5000 Employees

Container Store Reviews

Updated Apr 16, 2014
Container Store – Schaumburg – “Outside of a typical container store, this one…”

Container Store CEO and Co-Chairman Kip Tindell

Kip Tindell

Pros:
  • "This for most people is all you need, so as a part-time retail job it is okay"
    in 36 reviews
  • "Amazing employee discount offered even to seasonal employees"
    in 23 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you seek a full time position and/or a careerI highly advise looking elsewhere"
    in 40 reviews
  • "Part-time shifts only unless youve been with the company for a long time"
    in 30 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Sets itself apart from other retailers

Visual Sales - Part Time (Former Employee)

I worked at Container Store part-time

ProsEmployee focussed in areas of training, work-life balance, and intentional hiring.

ConsSchedules move week to week.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore under utilized talent than your using.

Physically challenging, but the professional growth and relationships found are outstanding!

Sales Trainer (Former Employee)
Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Container Store full-time for more than a year

ProsPEOPLE, the leadership- at all levels, you are considered and expected and empowered to be a leader every day- all the time.

ConsAgain, physically tiring, everybody does everything- including cleaning the bath...Nothing is off limits, your store reflects neatly upon you!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen, and share, and grow!

Good Experience

I have been working at Container Store part-time

ProsFlexible hours, relatively high starting wage, good on the job training.

ConsNot that much upward mobility.

Great people, outstanding products, amazing discount, outdated uniforms

Sales Associate (Current Employee)

I have been working at Container Store part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly coworkers who work as a team, vacation accrual for even part-timers and an amazing 40% discount on products are some of the best reasons to work at TCS.

ConsClothing that is dictated by Texans in their 60s leaves a lot to be desired.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate the clothing! Be gumby about schedules and less important policies like the staff is encouraged to do.

A place filled with Great Employees

Fulfilment Center (Current Employee)
New York, NY

I have been working at Container Store part-time for less than a year

ProsThe work environment is filled with exuberance. Its like trickle down effect. It starts with great management.

ConsPart-time shifts only unless youve been with the company for a long time

Seasonal 'Transition Team' Associate

Transition Team (Former Employee)
San Antonio, TX

I worked at Container Store as a contractor for less than a year

Pros-Great company to work for
-Amazing staff
-Management really listens to what you have to say
-Although most of the staff is tenured, they are willing to help and aren't hung up on a tenured ego
-Fun environment
-Great pay for a temporary position
-Adequate training both before and on the job
-Amazing employee discount offered even to seasonal employees

Cons-Only seasonal
-Early mornings if that's a con for you
-Wish the position would have lasted longer

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, it's great

An amazing team with amazing work ethic and training programs.

Part-Time Sales/Visual (Current Employee)
Little Rock, AR

I have been working at Container Store part-time for more than a year

ProsYou'll receive a specific amount of training and you'll feel as though you've been properly equipped to do your job. The company already has such a great rapport with its customers, that customers already trust employees. There's a genuine sort of trust among customers and workers so much so that you begin to form friendships with customers. The company has a great approach to hiring and interviewing, also.

ConsI'm part time, so I don't really experience the types of negatives that full-time employees would. But I've heard that it's hard to move up in the company or move from part-time to full-time, probably because the turn-over in the company is not quick...everyone wants to stay!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you're doing. Appreciation of employees is the #1 way to succeed in growing a healthy business.

A great company to be a part of.

Houston, TX

I worked at Container Store part-time for less than a year

ProsGreat benefits, great starting pay, a real team environment.

ConsWasn't given the opportunity to perform other tasks, was mostly kept in the stock room.

worst job ever and not true to its statements about employees

I worked at Container Store

Proshigher than minimum wage salary

Consterrible, inconsistent hours, management unprofessional and caddy, benefits...there are no REAL benefits for p/t. Self insured company that allows approx. 1,200. annual hospital expenditures?!!!!! YES one thousand dollars for annual hospital expenses!

Advice to Senior Managementcome out of your offices and see what's actually going on.

Business concepts are good, Leadership needs work.

I worked at Container Store for more than a year

ProsSalary was good for Full Time.
Discount was great.
Coworkers were great and easy to get along with.

ConsManagement & Leadership: Management leadership style was inappropriate. General Management tracked people on facebook. General Management also made in appropriate comments regarding religion, sexuality, and gender. Management inappropriately used military status in performance review. Three gay men were either fired or taken down to part -time under a Full and part time manager.

Skills: Free thinking and creativity were not encourage. If you did not drink the Kool-Aid of TCS philosophy you were ostracized and constantly under scrutiny. Skill sets were not valued, unless they were directly related to management view.

Expectations: Expectations often contradicted each other. "Do not do any work out side of assigned shift. Try not to take overtime." vs. "Hey, can you pick up bags from another store on your way home". or "Make sure you check email at work" vs. "I cannot get on a computer at work, without you asking me why I am not on the floor or while waiting for the visual team to get off the computer."

Pay: Midway into the first year they change the pay arrangement from Salary to Hourly. If someone comes with a certain expectation of Salary and then you take them to Hourly is seems like a demotion and changes their status on a leadership role. Now there is this feeling of only working scheduled hours, and not feeling like there is any flexibility to mentor or guide mentees - because you had to get everything done before that.

I know some of these may be very store specific.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore leadership and diversity training less on sales.
Listen to employees at all levels, not just managers.
Lose the aprons.

Worked for Container Store? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Container Store reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Container Store CEO Kip Tindell. All 301 reviews posted anonymously by Container Store employees.