Container Store

www.containerstore.com

Container Store Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Container Store – Schaumburg – “Outside of a typical container store, this one…”

Container Store CEO and Co-Chairman Kip Tindell

Kip Tindell

Pros
  • Health insurance offered to part time employees(in 38 reviews)

• Amazing employee discount offered even to seasonal employees(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement, 10 full time positions out of 50 employees(in 48 reviews)

• Harder to juggle around with other commitments than other part-time jobs(in 35 reviews)

A place filled with Great Employees

Fulfilment Center (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe work environment is filled with exuberance. Its like trickle down effect. It starts with great management.

ConsPart-time shifts only unless youve been with the company for a long time

Seasonal 'Transition Team' Associate

Transition Team (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX

Pros-Great company to work for
    -Amazing staff
    -Management really listens to what you have to say
    -Although most of the staff is tenured, they are willing to help and aren't hung up on a tenured ego
    -Fun environment
    -Great pay for a temporary position
    -Adequate training both before and on the job
    -Amazing employee discount offered even to seasonal employees

Cons-Only seasonal
    -Early mornings if that's a con for you
    -Wish the position would have lasted longer

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing, it's great

worst job ever and not true to its statements about employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proshigher than minimum wage salary

Consterrible, inconsistent hours, management unprofessional and caddy, benefits...there are no REAL benefits for p/t. Self insured company that allows approx. 1,200. annual hospital expenditures?!!!!! YES one thousand dollars for annual hospital expenses!

Advice to Senior Managementcome out of your offices and see what's actually going on.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Business concepts are good, Leadership needs work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSalary was good for Full Time.
    Discount was great.
    Coworkers were great and easy to get along with.

ConsManagement & Leadership: Management leadership style was inappropriate. General Management tracked people on facebook. General Management also made in appropriate comments regarding religion, sexuality, and gender. Management inappropriately used military status in performance review. Three gay men were either fired or taken down to part -time under a Full and part time manager.

Skills: Free thinking and creativity were not encourage. If you did not drink the Kool-Aid of TCS philosophy you were ostracized and constantly under scrutiny. Skill sets were not valued, unless they were directly related to management view.

Expectations: Expectations often contradicted each other. "Do not do any work out side of assigned shift. Try not to take overtime." vs. "Hey, can you pick up bags from another store on your way home". or "Make sure you check email at work" vs. "I cannot get on a computer at work, without you asking me why I am not on the floor or while waiting for the visual team to get off the computer."

Pay: Midway into the first year they change the pay arrangement from Salary to Hourly. If someone comes with a certain expectation of Salary and then you take them to Hourly is seems like a demotion and changes their status on a leadership role. Now there is this feeling of only working scheduled hours, and not feeling like there is any flexibility to mentor or guide mentees - because you had to get everything done before that.

I know some of these may be very store specific.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore leadership and diversity training less on sales.
    Listen to employees at all levels, not just managers.
    Lose the aprons.

Glad I had the opportunity.

Full Time Visual Sales (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful discounts on products, fun working environment, amazing co-workers, fast-paced, loved the work. Foundation principles are wonderful.

ConsUpper leadership is unaware of the day-to-day feelings of the prime-time staff, no set schedules, little room for upward position growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen. Just listen to your staff. The prime-time staff knows what's going on and wants your support. They are wonderful, passionate people with a lot of great ideas. They want to believe in the company and its principle. Listen to them and let them truly see the foundation principles from you example. Value them, more than policy.

It is a job that is willing to hire its own people and give their employee training

Overnight Merchandise Processing (Current Employee)

ProsThe company offers a lot of training to employees and the benefits for part time employees are industry leading.

ConsTheir is a cap on promotions within the company. The company will usually promote within beyond Store Manager

Advice to Senior ManagementShore up implicit cost within the company so that the wall street analyst can recommend investors to buy more shares and thus raise the price. I would also recommend semi-annual raises for the part time employees.

An amazing team with amazing work ethic and training programs.

Part-Time Sales/Visual (Current Employee) Little Rock, AR

ProsYou'll receive a specific amount of training and you'll feel as though you've been properly equipped to do your job. The company already has such a great rapport with its customers, that customers already trust employees. There's a genuine sort of trust among customers and workers so much so that you begin to form friendships with customers. The company has a great approach to hiring and interviewing, also.

ConsI'm part time, so I don't really experience the types of negatives that full-time employees would. But I've heard that it's hard to move up in the company or move from part-time to full-time, probably because the turn-over in the company is not quick...everyone wants to stay!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue doing what you're doing. Appreciation of employees is the #1 way to succeed in growing a healthy business.

A great company to be a part of.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Houston, TX

ProsGreat benefits, great starting pay, a real team environment.

ConsWasn't given the opportunity to perform other tasks, was mostly kept in the stock room.

One of Fortune's Bests

Prime Time Sales (Current Employee)

ProsIncredible employee culture and working environment. Managers and coworkers are all about teamwork and development and doing what's best for the team.

ConsHarder to juggle around with other commitments than other part-time jobs. Managers will try to maximize all of your open availability to be working at the store.

You couldn't ask for more in a part-time job.

ProsOutstanding training, fun place to work, benefits for part-time

ConsOccasional inconsistent direction from FT staff and managers

Worked for Container Store? Contribute to the Community!