Container Store

Updated November 22, 2014
3.3

Container Store CEO and Co-Chairman Kip Tindell
Kip Tindell

Pros
  • As a part time employee at the time they offered health insurance and 401k after your first year (in 43 reviews)

• Amazing employee discount offered even to seasonal employees (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Many full time employees stay forever because it is a great place to work (in 53 reviews)

• Harder to juggle around with other commitments than other part-time jobs (in 42 reviews)

More Highlights

Great part time opportunity

Current Employee - Sales/Order Processor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales/Order Processor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Container Store part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy this part-time opportunity to earn better-than-average pay for a retail job. Hours are flexible, training for the job is on-going and helpful. Retail jobs can be very demanding at times, but there is a good atmosphere within this company and they generally hire bright, energetic people.

Cons

Physically demanding job at times, up and down ladders and unloading trucks. The corporate culture is good but not all managers embrace the culture all the time.

Please make sure ALL managers adhere to the corporate philosophies and Foundation Principles.

Best internship ever!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Coppell, TX

I worked at Container Store as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

There are too many pros to list, but the strong company culture and amazing co-workers are what really made my internship amazing! I got to do 2-week rotations with all of the marketing teams including creative, social media, community relations, cultural programs, paid media, customer engagement, and more. I learned so much about the company as well as marketing in general. This company is truly one-of-a-kind, and if you have the chance to apply- DO IT! There wasn't a single day where I didn't want to go into work, and most days they had to force me to go home! The environment both in-store and in the home office can't be beat and the food in the cafe is to die for!

Cons

The only thing I can think of is that because I am still in college, I had to adjust to working with peers that were older than me. Not really a con though... loved getting the chance to be in the 'real world' and work on communication.

I really loved the management! The leadership was so passionate about the employees and even as an intern I felt so cared for and like my opinion mattered.

Very happy with my choice

I have been working at Container Store full-time

Pros

Everyone is so nice to work with. We all seem to actually enjoy our jobs!! The schedule is flexible enough and the manager is very nice.

Cons

Working weekends stinks no matter what company you work for but I guess it could always be worse. Requesting days off is pretty easy.

Love your coworkers

Former Employee - Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Sales Manager

I worked at Container Store full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The company's hiring process ensures that you will work with great people. Very few slackers make it through the numerous interviews and if they do, they will leave the company in short order. Employees have to work hard and those who slack off won't make it.

Cons

Corporate is very disconnected from the reality of working in a store. Advancement into management and beyond is limited (partly because so few people leave the company). But more troubling is that promotions go to yes-men. Those who tow the company line will move ahead and those with original ideas are often marginalized.

Management needs to reevaluate who is in a decision-making role. In many cases, the most motivated and creative individuals are left to languish in lower-paying jobs and their ideas for improvement are not seriously considered. It is a shame to see such great talent wasted.

A decent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Container Store part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The discount is absolutely excellent!!!! The pay also, is excellent in comparison to other retail jobs and the scheduling flexibility is a definite plus.

Cons

The company culture can be overwhelming and feel insincere at times... But I believe it's more about the individual peoples interpretation of what the culture should be...

Be conscious of people's interpretation of the company culture. Be aware of insincerity and falseness in the attitudes of persons in the company. Continue their efforts to foster the positivity and welcoming nature that the culture is supposed to give.

Not a perfect place, but I enjoyed it and would do it again!

Former Employee - Full Time Visual Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Full Time Visual Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Container Store full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Wonderful co-workers, pay above most retail average, fabulous discount, interesting and dynamic work environment, never boring. Love Gift Wrap Wonderland !!!

Cons

Not a lot of full-time positions, some difficult hours (but fully disclosed in interview process), some questionable management practices among the full time and management staff (lots of closed-door conversations/gossip), lack of up front conversations when there should be. My exiting of the company was handled poorly/unethically (I resigned, was asked to stay on for two weeks by the GM, arranged with my future employer to do so, and was then informed it would be my last day, leaving a gap in my income and delaying the start date for my future job). I'd like to believe this was and isolated incident and not representative of the entire company, especially one that focuses so much on an employee-first culture and wanting the best for their employees.

Although I really liked most of the management and got a long well with everyone, there seems to be a definite gossip/back-biting, approach to discussing employee issues and rarely was it directly to the employee. The management and full-time team seemed more like an exclusive club. We often wondered what they were doing behind closed doors when nothing appeared to get done. A lack of trust is perceived by many "underlings" or prime-timers and it goes both way with the management. More transparency of and accountability for the management would be helpful. The Surveys regarding "Top Places to Work" should also be less forced and confidential. I personally witnessed those anonymous surveys read by management while being filled out.

It would also be amazing if management would actually listened to their employees. The company prides itself for hiring 1=3 people. If that is the case, trust them. Listen to them. They are bright, intelligent, and creative people who have much to contribute. Let them. The current approach stifles anything ideas of "outside the container" of TCS.

I've been gone for almost a year and although I'm happy in my current job, I miss the TCS crew.. I like to work hard and that is certainly something that can be done at TCS. For some of us, it was family-esque and like all families, they have their problems. Over all, if they stick to their Foundation Principles and treat the employees, ALL of them with respect and trust, it will continue to be a positive although not perfect work experience.

A very memorable experience

Current Employee - Retail Sales/Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Retail Sales/Visual Merchandiser in New York, NY

I have been working at Container Store part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great team work, managers very easy to talk to

Cons

Some people are cliqued up

Best Place to Work!

Current Employee - Assistant in Coppell, TX
    Current Employee - Assistant in Coppell, TX

I have been working at Container Store full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Collaborative, committed and high energy colleagues. Company culture is driven by Foundation Principles. They're observed in various internal communications and throughout relationships with external audiences. Office environment is open and creative.

Cons

Can't think of a one!

Great place to work

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Miami, FL

I worked at Container Store part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Fast pace, keeps you moving

Cons

Miscommunication between management and lower staff sometimes

Practice what you preach

Can be fun in spite of management and age discrimination.

Current Employee - Full Time Visual Sales
    Current Employee - Full Time Visual Sales

I have been working at Container Store full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

High energy. Some great fellow employees. Above industry average pay. Customers love the place.

Cons

Age discrimination. Widely varying schedules. Management behind closed doors frequently. Supposedly "Yummy" culture is mostly talk.

Talk with employees and don't limit your conversations to the carefully picked ones store managers put forward. Take a look at what you're really demanding in the way of widely varying, potentially unhealthy or unsafe scheduling. When designing stores approach it as if you were designing an elfa closet and actually plan the space, including the stockroom and dock, to function well for what it will need to do. Back off the loud, almost frantic claims of "employee first" and put some of that effort into actually being employee first. Take an honest look at hiring/promotion practices.

Container Store Photos

Outside of a typical container store, this one located at 1460 East Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL (Photo attributed to Isipeoria - )

+ Add Photo