Container Store

www.containerstore.com

Container Store Reviews

Updated Jul 19, 2014
Container Store – Schaumburg – “Outside of a typical container store, this one…”

Container Store CEO and Co-Chairman Kip Tindell

Kip Tindell

Pros
  • Health insurance offered to part time employees(in 38 reviews)

• Amazing employee discount offered even to seasonal employees(in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement, 10 full time positions out of 50 employees(in 48 reviews)

• Harder to juggle around with other commitments than other part-time jobs(in 35 reviews)

Visual Merchandiser

Visual Sales - Part Time (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsThe Container Store has a great company atmosphere. Everyone works together as a team by accomplishing tasks and assisting each other to make sales, campaign set ups, and pm/am merchandising.

ConsNothing really. It's a customer service position where most customers you help are great but then there are those customers who are inconsiderate and can ruin your confidence because of their lack of patience.

TCS was at one time a great place to work. No longer true

ProsSurrounded by wonderful products and fun customers is great!

ConsSince the company went public, things have gone downhill fast. Cuts in staffing cause some real difficulty. Customers are complaining. Sales are down. REALLY down. The grumbling has started and is getting louder.

Advice to Senior ManagementFace it--if there aren't enough hours to give the great customer service TCS is known for, sales will suffer. This is going to continue. Gumby only goes so far.

Very flexible with scheduling.

Part Time Sales (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsThe people are great. Ive made great friends.

ConsI've been there a few years and am continually pin-holed into one role. I'm getting very tired and they don't make training in new roles and rotating me into different roles a priority.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bargaining for time off. Really???

Prime Time (Current Employee)

ProsThe prime-timers are the best thing going for The Container Store. They are intelligent, personable, well educated and dedicated employees.
    The company has endless training opportunities. The pay us above average, until the minimum wage increases.

ConsStore managers spend Mondays deciding who will get time off. There is no rhyme or reason to their decisions. Prime-timers are often told no to days off for family birthdays, celebrations and vacations. There has been a steady loss of excellent part timers due to the managements' unwillingness to allow time off. A tactic in the Chicagoland area store has been to bargain for time off. " If we give you this day off, can you come in that day? ". Why not be consistent with all employees? There is some (hard to understand) favoritism, and that in turn kills the moral of everyone else.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet real -put yourselves in the prime timers shoes! We are dedicated professionals and deserve to be treated as such. Everyone has commitments. All people need time off to celebrate their lives outside of TCS.

No accountability, no relocation program.

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood discount, decent pay for the industry.

ConsLong 10 hour retail shifts. There is no in store HR, so management can pretty much do whatever they want with no accountability. Expected to work overnights and till midnight frequently ( even as a salaried manager). Last minute schedule changes without notification. General manager always left early and took weekends off and had other people adjust her time like she was working . And when she was there, she was always at her desk looking at houses or gossiping.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it a more performance based environment. Be business minded, not emotional. Just because someone is super nice or has been there for ever doesn't mean they deserve a raise or are doing a good job. Fire people who aren't doing their job or are causing problems. Don't be scared to have a hard conversation and keep your word!

Empowered Employees

Part Time Sales/Elfa Designer (Former Employee) Denver, CO

ProsI grew as a person working there. Training is extensive, to give an employee knowledge of the whole business. My selling skills improved because they taught me how to really listen and think through the long term solution. We were empowered as employees to give the customer exactly what they want.. Daily huddle before the shift kept me informed of events ,daily sales goal,customer needs for the day etc
    The managers I worked for were real people and came out on the floor and worked along side us.

ConsThe retail hours were tough sometimes.Schedules were built weeks in advance which sounds great - but it was still hard to trade a shift if something in my life changed. We had " skill sets" that needed to match the employee we traded with-not an easy task.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep including the employees in the loop for coming changes. Make trading shifts less of a hassle.

Employee Centered Culture-Great Discount-Great Customers and Coworkers

Full Time Sales (Former Employee)

ProsGood pay and employee discount. No extreme hours during holidays. Family atmosphere.

ConsPart-time hours vary with season and management's opinion of the strengths of the employee. Little room for full-time jobs or growth.

Great part-time work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInvestments made in staff training and development, often worked with great managers

ConsDidn't feel like there was much potential for part-time staff to be hired full time

Perfect part time job

Visual Sales - Part Time (Current Employee) Reston, VA

Pros*Schedules are posted 2 or 3 weeks in advance
    *Decent pay rate for the industry plus 40% of employee discount on regular merchandise
    *Constant training
    *Working around nice people

Cons*As any other retailer you have to work Holidays, nights and weekends
    *You have to ask customers for email address to link their purchase and to stay connected to the store...and they track your performance every day, it's hard when people doesn't want to share their email because all the junk, spams, privacy, etc. It makes you feel like you have to beg for an email so the company is happy with you. Not fun at all.
    *The apron gives you a really ugly look, but I guess it's not so bad that you wear uniform to save some money.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs any other place, there is some good and bad managers. Overall in my store they are good leaders but they forget sometimes to help out the sales people, they ask for too many things at the same time.

Great company, poor store management

ProsSalary, co-workers, benefits, the company (the talk)

ConsStore management (the walk, do it)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the floor, stop playing favorites, remember the principles!!!

Worked for Container Store? Contribute to the Community!