Container Store

Favoritism and Fake Hype Rules

Current Employee - Part Time Sales in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

The discount & most of the co-workers.

Cons

Favoritism: some full-timers will literally gush over their favorite part-timers yet not even speak to others. It's okay to not be best buds with everybody but the blatant "cold shoulder" is juvenile and unprofessional.
    Micro-managing: whether from management or full-timers. Stop, ask, listen - before you assume, correct & get on your high horse. Give your staff some credit and try to move beyond justifying your title and salary simply by looking for "fault" and mistakes. If you believe the "employees first" culture, you would realize positive reinforcement works much better than negative.
    Fairness in pay and recognition: our store had a list of "awards" it gives at each all-store meeting. It's a joke! There are a handful of people who are almost always on the list becomes they almost always do the same job for which they are "awarded" - wow, shocking that they would win - with the most obvious of these being the main Elfa person. Also, though discussing salary is a "no-no" at this company, it's no secret. Usually, it slips out because somebody is excited to be making decent pay in retail....but then it's discovered that the pay is uneven. At our store, there are new hires making almost as much - within a few cents - as people here for more than a year. Huh??? And, there's no pay differential for the part timers who climb ladders, unload the truck and/or do the physically demanding stuff vs. those who only mostly work the sales floor, register, and of course, Elfa. The Elfa thing might be fair if we all had been given a chance to design and then had our performance rated. As it is, in our store, Elfa and other "desirable" trainings beyond the basics are done more on who the sales trainer likes vs. who is a good fit - to the point of training people who don't want to do Elfa while overlooking those who do & would be capable. Yeah, employees first!
    Lead by example: full timers gossip, stand around and chat, hide out in the office, come in with bad attitudes, play favorites and all manner of things part timers get critiqued for - it needs to stop! There is most definitely an "us vs. them" vibe to part-time and full-time and between Elfa and non-Elfa employees. Regular part-timers who do the grunt work don't feel highly appreciated.
    Full-time and management, not all but some, act as if they are superior, but the truth is many of the part-timers have as much or more work experience and education. It would be nice for the leadership to recognize this, appreciate it and celebrate it - this is a good thing to have in your staff - vs. treating the part-timers as kids who've never worked.
    Hours: I completely agree with the hiring of seasonal and more part-time people that somebody else mentioned. Ask your existing people first - especially during the annual Elfa sale and around Christmas, many of us would take on more hours for those few months.
    Reviews: ridiculous, goals are pointless and never get revisited during the 11 months between reviews & part-timers should be able to give feedback "up" as well. This is such an archaic, paper and time-wasting method that you use simply to justify the "blanket" pay increases and to try to make it look like you have a handle on your staff. Here's an idea: actually spend time with staffers on a regular basis and pay attention to what they really do & not just what your favorite people do.

Pay attention to the comments on here from disgruntled employees. If you think it's just a few people, you're wrong. This is widespread, but there is so much concern about retribution, many just tough it out & don't speak up. Do your own survey, let employees send it anonymously & directly to the home office, then you'll learn a lot.

Fantastic Place to Work

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

Amazing atmosphere with great staff. Great pay, and consistent hours.

Cons

I have no negative thoughts for The Container Store.

Best retail job out there

Former Employee - Prime Time Sales in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Prime Time Sales in Washington, DC

I worked at Container Store

Pros

Great people, excellent training, cool products

Cons

None. It was an awesome part-time gig!

I loved working here

Current Employee - Prime Time Sales
    Current Employee - Prime Time Sales

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

Love the culture and enviornment

Cons

Had to leave too soon

An above average but still by the numbers workplace

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

You get a slightly higher per hour salary than most other retail stores as a starting part time (or prime time) employee. The interview process roots out a lot of folks who'd just go through the motions or, worse yet, impede on everybody else's ability to do their job.

Training is extensive and informational, even if a lot of it isn't as religiously implemented as they'll make you believe.

The employees are mostly a swell bunch of people even if you mostly only interact with them in the workplace. Managers are courteous and willing to hear you out when something's awry - they'll also try and make your schedule work for rather than against your other obligations and preferences.

Full time employees that aren't managers are usually the most productive and will go to bat for you if needed, so trust, listen to, and appreciate them for their contribution - you can learn a lot. They're also the reason TCS has as good of a reputation as it does - they're paid well and work better.

Not a lot of in workplace drama and gossip.

Cons

Not a lot of room for progression in the timeline you might require it - hours are managed based on the 'needs of the business' (you'll hear this as much if not more than in other workplaces), so if you're working 15 hour weeks of which 10 are working truck at 5 AM in the morning, that's the status quo and not likely to change until you stick it out for the (on average) few years or so required to be eligible for full time promotion.

You'll be inclined to take on another part time job or look for a full time one since relying on covering other people's shifts isn't a sound way of making rent or putting food on your table. The workplace is not immune from common annoyances such as brown-nosing and favoritism, but that's to be expected and doesn't detract from your own responsibilities unless you're overly sensitive.

You'll also work a variety of duties for the same wage - which means whether you're working truck, sales, registers, order processing, or mopping the bathrooms during closing, your check won't reflect it if you get the runt of the the selection. Again, standard stuff but worth a mention to those starting out as part timers (read: mostly everyone).

Promote from within rather than outside the company. Be more wary of and place your employee's predicaments over the usual 'needs of the business' spiel from time to time. Work through obstacles, not around them. You do excellent business and operate a well oiled machine, but don't get comfortable in the arithmetic of it all.

Fine Place to work.

Former Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time in New York, NY

I worked at Container Store

Pros

Hard to get fired. Friendly supervisors. They are very supportive. Good people to work under. The discounts you get really come in handy they carry a lot of neat stuff.

Cons

They are a little obsessed with the store but it's to be expected. Lots of them want to move up and stay in the company.

Great!!

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

Very employee focused. A chance to come in contact with great products.

Cons

No complaints about this company.

Great experience!

Former Employee - Prime Time Sales
    Former Employee - Prime Time Sales

I worked at Container Store part-time (more than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience here. Still being in college, I needed a job that worked around my school schedule. I got more than that from working here! My managers were encouraging and gave great feedback and actually managed to make me consider it as a full-time career.

Cons

Unless you negotiate a high starting pay, raises and hourly pay is generally not much above other good retailers. Application and eventual hire is a long process. I didn't start for three months after I applied. Check reviews specific to your store location! I worked at three different locations and each general manager had a different style, some were better than others. Most part-timers will not be hired full-time.

Hire more from within and promote great 1=3 part timers to full time. Many of them are more than qualified to do the job.

Put a LID over it - the container store

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

Parties - celebrate anything just to get out of work.
    Good for those who likes to be a cheerleader and kiss up to management. Women wearing tight clothing great for those freaks.

Cons

No teamwork, favoritism at large, not a professional environment - loud music, very immature folks, too much touching and way too many family members working there.
    3=1 great person just means you are working harder to pick up the slack from those lazy TCS.
    Writing your own review twice a year - doesn't make sense since raises are already predetermine.

Be fair, listen, recognize those who do work.
    Cut out waste - management, inefficiency, and unprofessional environment.
    Increase teamwork from all department in the warehouse. No more free checks for those who do not contribute to the success of TCS.
    Management needs to get out of their comfort zone/office and do their job.

Ups and downs

Current Employee - Full Time/Part Time
    Current Employee - Full Time/Part Time

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

Great co-workers, can have a good salary, good benefits, good training for many

Cons

Where should I start...
    It is sad to say, but most of the not so positive reviews here are spot on. Why do we read that there are management issues in Dallas, Houston, Paramus, New York, Chicago, and so on. In the beginning Kip and Garrett had a dream, a dream of a great workplace where "Everyone would thrive." In this place there would be mutual respect, honesty, great business practices and a "Yummy Culture." And it happened, a great company was formed, great employees were hired, great products were sold and then something started to happen. The company started to grow, the "outliers" were harder to "contain." But rather than attempt to corral them the executives wanted to believe it was not happening. Because of this looking the other way and hoping/believing that the good in others would prevail, the opposite happened. The uncontrolled grew, and then we began to see the discontent in the full and part time employees.
    It is so sad that this great company has fallen. It is sad that the CEO, President and Vice Presidents do not take a stance and say the problems need to stop. How many reviews must be posted on this and many other sites before change happens. Garrett would have a heart attack if he heard what is said by store managers on a daily basis. It is all posted here and is emblazoned on the Fortune survey but it is only reviewed. Sure some management plans have been made after egregious behavior, but those managers are mostly still in their positions.
    You started LDP because of the survey but it is fast becoming a failure as have many in house, untested programs have. At least 50% of those"invited" to be involved have no desire to be there, a good 25% only say what they think you want them to say. Even the Area Directors have no clue as to what should be happening, and make some amazingly ignorant statements. This is yet another failure to be recorded.
    There are far too many expectations placed on store changes (campaigns and reworks) that it takes away from the look of the store and the ability to make sales. The amount of money wasted on many useless changes is astounding. Many added changes cost payroll.
    Payroll is another issue in that it is in part how bonuses for managers are rewarded. This disinsentifies adequate staffing. Bonuses should be entirely based on sales performance if we were truly employee first. Managers have even taken it upon themselves to determine that the new compensation guidlines were meant to make it more difficult to attain an excellent review thus ensuring their qualifying for bonuses. Kip has repeatedly said current salary should not determine percentage of increase but managers repeatedly say "you are well compensated."

The Road Show was a waste, you learned nothing from it. Yes you met with the managers after your performance, but they only told you what you wanted to hear with the exception of computer and logistic issues. Why not invite honest feedback from the masses. If you truly read each Fortune response you would do something about it. Our managers read our store responses and tried to determine who wrote them. Is this what was intended when they were dispersed? I am not saying an overhaul is needed but a good shakeup and some true managing up is needed without the fear of recrimination.

Container Store Photos

Outside of a typical container store, this one located at 1460 East Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL (Photo attributed to Isipeoria - )

+ Add Photo