Container Store Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

3.5

Container Store CEO and Co-Chairman Kip Tindell
Kip Tindell

Pros
  • Health insurance offered to part time employees (in 38 reviews)

• Amazing employee discount offered even to seasonal employees (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement, 10 full time positions out of 50 employees (in 48 reviews)

• Harder to juggle around with other commitments than other part-time jobs (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

TCS was at one time a great place to work. No longer true

I have been working at Container Store part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Surrounded by wonderful products and fun customers is great!

Cons

Since the company went public, things have gone downhill fast. Cuts in staffing cause some real difficulty. Customers are complaining. Sales are down. REALLY down. The grumbling has started and is getting louder.

Face it--if there aren't enough hours to give the great customer service TCS is known for, sales will suffer. This is going to continue. Gumby only goes so far.

It was an OK place to work, nothing specacular.

Current Employee - Prime Time Sales  in  Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Prime Time Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Container Store part-time for more than a year

Pros

Really frienob for a year or so.dly people. The pay is not that great for the work load but it was a good j

Cons

pay is low and raises are real slow.

Very flexible with scheduling.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Part Time Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Container Store part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people are great. Ive made great friends.

Cons

I've been there a few years and am continually pin-holed into one role. I'm getting very tired and they don't make training in new roles and rotating me into different roles a priority.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Bargaining for time off. Really???

Current Employee - Prime Time
    Current Employee - Prime Time

I have been working at Container Store part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The prime-timers are the best thing going for The Container Store. They are intelligent, personable, well educated and dedicated employees.
    The company has endless training opportunities. The pay us above average, until the minimum wage increases.

Cons

Store managers spend Mondays deciding who will get time off. There is no rhyme or reason to their decisions. Prime-timers are often told no to days off for family birthdays, celebrations and vacations. There has been a steady loss of excellent part timers due to the managements' unwillingness to allow time off. A tactic in the Chicagoland area store has been to bargain for time off. " If we give you this day off, can you come in that day? ". Why not be consistent with all employees? There is some (hard to understand) favoritism, and that in turn kills the moral of everyone else.

Get real -put yourselves in the prime timers shoes! We are dedicated professionals and deserve to be treated as such. Everyone has commitments. All people need time off to celebrate their lives outside of TCS.

Visual Merchandiser

Current Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time  in  Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Container Store part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The Container Store has a great company atmosphere. Everyone works together as a team by accomplishing tasks and assisting each other to make sales, campaign set ups, and pm/am merchandising.

Cons

Nothing really. It's a customer service position where most customers you help are great but then there are those customers who are inconsiderate and can ruin your confidence because of their lack of patience.

Empowered Employees

Former Employee - Part Time Sales/Elfa Designer  in  Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales/Elfa Designer in Denver, CO

I worked at Container Store part-time for more than a year

Pros

I grew as a person working there. Training is extensive, to give an employee knowledge of the whole business. My selling skills improved because they taught me how to really listen and think through the long term solution. We were empowered as employees to give the customer exactly what they want.. Daily huddle before the shift kept me informed of events ,daily sales goal,customer needs for the day etc
    The managers I worked for were real people and came out on the floor and worked along side us.

Cons

The retail hours were tough sometimes.Schedules were built weeks in advance which sounds great - but it was still hard to trade a shift if something in my life changed. We had " skill sets" that needed to match the employee we traded with-not an easy task.

Keep including the employees in the loop for coming changes. Make trading shifts less of a hassle.

Employee Centered Culture-Great Discount-Great Customers and Coworkers

Former Employee - Full Time Sales
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales

I worked at Container Store full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good pay and employee discount. No extreme hours during holidays. Family atmosphere.

Cons

Part-time hours vary with season and management's opinion of the strengths of the employee. Little room for full-time jobs or growth.

Great part-time work

I worked at Container Store

Pros

Investments made in staff training and development, often worked with great managers

Cons

Didn't feel like there was much potential for part-time staff to be hired full time

Perfect part time job

Current Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time  in  Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time in Reston, VA

I have been working at Container Store part-time for less than a year

Pros

*Schedules are posted 2 or 3 weeks in advance
    *Decent pay rate for the industry plus 40% of employee discount on regular merchandise
    *Constant training
    *Working around nice people

Cons

*As any other retailer you have to work Holidays, nights and weekends
    *You have to ask customers for email address to link their purchase and to stay connected to the store...and they track your performance every day, it's hard when people doesn't want to share their email because all the junk, spams, privacy, etc. It makes you feel like you have to beg for an email so the company is happy with you. Not fun at all.
    *The apron gives you a really ugly look, but I guess it's not so bad that you wear uniform to save some money.

As any other place, there is some good and bad managers. Overall in my store they are good leaders but they forget sometimes to help out the sales people, they ask for too many things at the same time.

Good learning experience, but it can be brutal for your soul and pockets

Former Employee - Overnight Merchandise Processing  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Overnight Merchandise Processing in New York, NY

I worked at Container Store part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount is great and you gain a lot of work experience. They are also flexible in taking time- off as long as is requested 3 weeks prior and is not around the elfa sale.

Cons

They work you like a dog! You have to work there for 3 years to get a paid vacation and no paid sick time. No full time opportunities. The most phony and unpleasant people I have ever encountered. They might pay you 3$ more than other retail jobs, but they expect you to kill yourself working and they only give you about 12-18 hours a week. Mandatory store meetings where you are surrounded by a cult environment of brown nose activity.

The favoritism and weird politics that goes on in the container store is outrageous. Workers should be judged by the work that they do and not by how friendly they are to the supervisors or/and managers.

Worked for Container Store? Contribute to the Community!