Container Store Reviews

Updated April 22, 2015
403 reviews filtered by

1. Great Place to work

I have been working at Container Store part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Team Environment, comfortable dress code, fun, company loves their employees

Cons

basic cons of any job.

Cult-ish, Creepy, Relieved I Left

Former Employee - Seasonal
    Former Employee - Seasonal

I worked at Container Store part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Really decent pay for retail work. Uniform is comfortable. Employee discount is fabulous. The product and store is AWESOME. I was (and still am) a huge fan of the store and the products which was why I jumped at the chance to work there when the opportunity to presented itself.

Cons

There was clapping, chanting, singing, and hand-holding during training. Very kumbaya, sitting by the campfire-type crap which didn't suit my personality at all. I don't like phoniness and a lot of this felt very phony and contrived.

The store has team huddles at the start and end of each day. Someone starts a slow clap and everyone is expected to join in. One time I didn't clap and a team member got attitude with me for not falling into line. You couldn't be an individual with your own personality. You stood out if you didn't participate in even the silliest stuff.

Management didn't want anyone walking out of the store alone at night. Part of it was concerns about safety, part of it is part of their loss prevention strategy. A couple times I did walk out alone because no one else was getting off at the time or people were doing other things and I was ready to go. Team members looked at me like I was a martian for having the gall to walk out alone.

When our new store had corporate trainers visiting, local management chastised the staff for not asking enough questions of them and felt we weren't contributing to the conversation. They were extremely concerned about setting a good impression for corporate so they treated us like school children. It was insulting.

Everything just felt FORCED. Nothing was organic. From management's constant parroting of "I LOVE my job!" to the silly clapping and singing, the chastising for not asking enough questions...I just felt like I was a part of a cult and I was the only one who hadn't drunk the kool-aid.

Advice to Management

1) BE PRESENT. Have the time they were in closed-door meetings or not in the store at all. Floor leaders were in charge most of the time.

2) LISTEN to your employees' concerns. At the store I worked at, a lot of the seasonal part-timers were being worked TOO much. We were being scheduled 25-35 hours in addition to our full-time jobs. Most of us were told in the interview process we would get closer to the 15-20 hour range. When our concerns were brought to management's attention on a couple occasions, they acknowledged we were being worked hard but no changes were made to the next schedule. It was a BIG reason I left. I was working to the point of exhaustion and management didn't seem concerned.

I always look forward to going to work, The Container Store is my family!

Current Employee - Sales/Visual Sales in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Sales/Visual Sales in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Container Store is a fun, high-energy work environment. Guided by our Foundation Principles, we make this company an amazing place to work. You are given extensive training and compensated generously, making doing a great job easy. You are trusted to use your intuition and training to make decisions on your own, something that I really appreciate. The employee discount is outstanding, 40% off general merchandise and 50% off elfa! Overall, The Container Store has created a work environment that makes me EXCITED to go to work everyday.

Cons

Selling organizational products can be extremely difficult at times, especially when you have to explain to a customer how a product will help them and why they need it. Other retailers have it easier as they sell common items accepted as necessities. Also, because of the set up of stores, it is very hard to move from part-time to full-time. You can't just ask for more hours, being full-time is a big promotion.

Employee Friendly...On Paper

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Container Store part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pays well for a part-time (prime time) job
    Employee Discount is great!
    Friendly Customers (many shop on a regular basis so you get to know them)
    Easy to use POS (easy if you can work a computer)
    Time scheduled to train (full week of training)

Cons

Inflexible Schedule (have to send in requests far in advance because they make the schedule 3 weeks out)

Rude Veteran Staff (tell you what to do and sometimes it's the opposite of what management has said)

Training on the policies and procedures but not the products sold (nice to get trained on the product so you can recommend to customers and not lie to them)

Don't call in sick (they will be rude to you - care more about you finding coverage for yourself instead of getting better)

Advice to Management

Stick to the flexibility of schedules you discuss in interviews. They say you can set your own schedule but you have to request time off months in advance. Even then, time off request get denied which can complicate things if you planned to be off that day. Management, try to care more about your employees instead of making them feel bad if they cannot work or don't feel well. It's supposed to be an employee friendly place, but I guess if varies by store location.

Get organized with The Container Store and what will show you a loving culture you've never seen before

Current Employee - Merchandiser in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Merchandiser in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture. Really do care about their employees. Every time there is a birthday the management makes sure to celebrate that person. Or they constantly bring in goodies for us to munch on. And I love our staff.

Cons

No way of moving upward in the company unless your a manager or made full time.

Advice to Management

If there were more full time positions then employees wouldn't leave. And a raise for every new position learned would be awesome.

Too much focus on signing customers' up

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago Heights, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago Heights, IL

I worked at Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wonderful colleagues
    Ability to make your own decisions
    Good products to sell
    Good 401K plan even for part-timers (after 1 year)
    Flexible schedule

Cons

Since going public, too much focus on signing customers up for the perks program. Not really explaining WHY so much pressure to sign people up. Sometimes someone wants to just buy a container and leave. This affects your sign-up stats for the day, which are posted for all to see.

Generally a decent place to work but it has some serious issues to work out...

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Container Store full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Culture is great and the brand is very well represented.

Very female focused. Vast majority of staff is female.

Decent pay with decent benefits

Most days...it is a lot of fun!

Cons

There is a huge disconnect between the company vision on a C Staff level and the competency to execute that vision on a store level.

There is very limited career growth opportunities.

Very emotion focused. Everything is about feelings which often creates challenges in accountability, productivity and efficiency.

Advice to Management

Rather than opening new stores, put that energy and investment on getting the current stores refocused and successful in executing the company vision.

9. Great at choosing the right people for the company culture.

Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Coppell, TX
    Former Employee - Forklift Operator in Coppell, TX

I worked at Container Store

Pros

The culture they have there is awesome and inclusive in the fun things they like to implement.

Cons

The pay scale is low and takes a long time to get to top pay.

Advice to Management

Pay what the market value is for distribution employees.

10. Great company to work for

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

Really great company to work for. They strive to always keep their employees safe and efficient. This includes stretching before unloading the truck and emphasizing the importance of safety. They consistently provide training so that employees never feel uninformed about company policies or safety. House are very flexible and management is very easy to communicate with.

Cons

Nothing serious comes to mind. Like any retail environment, labor is usually the largest factor to budget so sometimes they make sure that you are hustling during your shift. However they will always encourage you to hustle in a positive way, never in a degrading negative way.

I was not to impressed at the end.

Former Employee - Full Time Sales
    Former Employee - Full Time Sales

I worked at Container Store

Pros

-Pay is slightly higher for someone who comes from minimum wage
    - Alot of great products that I never knew exsisted
    -Can you say great discounts!

Cons

-Management, I dont understand the philosophy behind hiring people and trying to change them into your little "cult" almost person. It is disappointing to say the least how much the management has changed here. I once loved coming to work but I gotta say.. It was just getting overwhelming to say the least.
    - customers can be rude but thats retail
    -lack of flexibility in the roles

Advice to Management

I am sad to say that the sole reason I quit was because of the lack of support and professionalism in this company. Not only do they have the ability of never getting fired because of their close relationship with corporate but it is nearly impossible to get a hold of any person above them. I was not able to juggle having kids and working a second job. After I was demoted from Full Time due to the lack of raises and need of a second job . My manager was still trying to force me into working almost everyday I had off. If you need employees hire them!

Container Store Photos

Outside of a typical container store, this one located at 1460 East Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL (Photo attributed to Isipeoria - )
Chelsea Location