Container Store Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014

3.5

Container Store CEO and Co-Chairman Kip Tindell
Kip Tindell

Pros
  • Health insurance offered to part time employees (in 38 reviews)

• Amazing employee discount offered even to seasonal employees (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement, 10 full time positions out of 50 employees (in 48 reviews)

• Harder to juggle around with other commitments than other part-time jobs (in 35 reviews)

More Highlights

Good learning experience, but it can be brutal for your soul and pockets

Former Employee - Overnight Merchandise Processing  in  New York, NY
    Former Employee - Overnight Merchandise Processing in New York, NY

I worked at Container Store part-time for more than a year

Pros

The discount is great and you gain a lot of work experience. They are also flexible in taking time- off as long as is requested 3 weeks prior and is not around the elfa sale.

Cons

They work you like a dog! You have to work there for 3 years to get a paid vacation and no paid sick time. No full time opportunities. The most phony and unpleasant people I have ever encountered. They might pay you 3$ more than other retail jobs, but they expect you to kill yourself working and they only give you about 12-18 hours a week. Mandatory store meetings where you are surrounded by a cult environment of brown nose activity.

The favoritism and weird politics that goes on in the container store is outrageous. Workers should be judged by the work that they do and not by how friendly they are to the supervisors or/and managers.

Do not work here!

Former Employee - Stocker  in  Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Stocker in Austin, TX

I worked at Container Store for less than a year

Pros

Good discount. Clean working environment.

Cons

Very union unfriendly. New hires are shown a brainwashing video about unions in orientation. I've never been in a union but can think for myself. Restocking is rushed, with no consideration of employee health and safety. Expected to spend long periods of time on floor on knees unwrapping, rush up and down tall ladders, etc.

Management reminded me of cliques in junior high and high school. Very elitist, definite demarcation between full time and part time.

No accountability, no relocation program.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Container Store full-time

Pros

Good discount, decent pay for the industry.

Cons

Long 10 hour retail shifts. There is no in store HR, so management can pretty much do whatever they want with no accountability. Expected to work overnights and till midnight frequently ( even as a salaried manager). Last minute schedule changes without notification. General manager always left early and took weekends off and had other people adjust her time like she was working . And when she was there, she was always at her desk looking at houses or gossiping.

Make it a more performance based environment. Be business minded, not emotional. Just because someone is super nice or has been there for ever doesn't mean they deserve a raise or are doing a good job. Fire people who aren't doing their job or are causing problems. Don't be scared to have a hard conversation and keep your word!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employees are not always first.

Former Employee - Visual Sales
    Former Employee - Visual Sales

I worked at Container Store part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people, wonderful discount, lots of training and support

Cons

Part time benefits are minimal.
    Management opportunities even more minimal.
    Inflexibility when it comes to schedule changes.
    Erratic scheduling.

Be clear with employees regarding your expectations of them, in all aspects of the job, from what you are actually hiring them for to communications expectations. Consider what an employee can bring to the company (knowledge from training, their personality, etc.) vs. only being as good as the shift that they are scheduled to work. This is a business foremost, but it relies on good people.

Great company, poor store management

I have been working at Container Store full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salary, co-workers, benefits, the company (the talk)

Cons

Store management (the walk, do it)

Get on the floor, stop playing favorites, remember the principles!!!

Generally Very Positive Working Experience

Former Employee - Order Processing/Maintenance/Visual Sales  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Order Processing/Maintenance/Visual Sales in Washington, DC

I worked at Container Store part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good salary, frequent breaks, variety of hours, frequent promotions, health care for full timers, a lot of time spent on safety

Cons

Discouragement of unions, difficult to become full time, heavy competition for shifts, insufficient training for customer interactions, difficult meeting times, very short shifts

Company values not always clear, further safety instruction- particularly for loading cars- would be extremely helpful

Great place to work for retail.

Current Employee - Retail Sales/Visual Merchandiser
    Current Employee - Retail Sales/Visual Merchandiser

I have been working at Container Store part-time for more than a year

Pros

Love the store, people I work with and the different jobs that I get to do. Great products and most of the customers are super nice.

Cons

No room for advancement, 10 full time positions out of 50 employees. Cuts for current prime time (part time) hours while hiring new people :-(

Show loyalty to loyal employees by creating more full time positions/opportunities. Stop cutting hours for current employees while hiring and training new people.

Surprised, VERY surprised!

Current Employee - Prime Time Sales  in  King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Prime Time Sales in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at Container Store part-time for less than a year

Pros

I didn't think I would even like working here, but one pro is work with a bunch of women! I'm a guy and it's nice to admire all the hotties and notties as the shop and work with me. My starting pay is 13$ so I am beyond empress, especially because I intended on making this a 30 day thing, that's turned into a potential 6 months. At my store I really feel like I am cared about, I had a family emergency and from the store manager down, it's only been genuine love and embrace. This company really makes me feel like I matter. From meeting the VPs and 1st in command, with a multimillion dollar company, and establishing friendships with people that I honestly thought I would never come across, or talk too...is nothing but a blessing. Everyone I have encountered has the most genuine souls I have ever met, and I am grateful to be apart of the TCS family. I know of sounds like I was paid to write this, but I am keeping it real. Maybe it's because I was apart of a grand opening? I don't think so!

Cons

None really, it's just like any other endeavor you chose to embark on, you work hard, and bust your tail, you get acknowledged. It's that simple.

You guys know what your doing, just continue you to groom me as you are, so that one day I will be there too.

Employee First?

Current Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Container Store part-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent training and wonderful coworkers!! As far as a retail job goes, this is probably the best place you could work.

Cons

Almost impossible to move up in this company. Barely any Full-Time positions, so if you're Part-Time and want to advance, you'll be waiting a long time.

Cutting Part-Time employee's hours to less than 10 a week is NOT a great way to save money and reduce turnover.

TCS 'talks' a good game

I have been working at Container Store full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, most non management employees are great!

Cons

$$$ driven, Marketing is OVER the top, Managers are narcissistic and lack empathy, Directors and above are incompetent 'yes' people who have NO real world experience. Feminist company and not in a good way. Store Managers spend 90% of their time in the backroom, consistently point out negatives and rarely positives. Passive aggressive management with employees they don't like, better to get them to quit so they are insulated from unemployment claims and lawsuits - allegedly? It is a culture of favoritism, nepotism, sexism, inconsistency and poor management. Got a problem with your manager call HR, oh wait there is no HR department. Call the next person over your Manager?, oh now you haven't followed the chain of command. If it weren't such a disaster it would almost be funny - it's not. The company is so busy making sure it looks great to the world with cutting edge philosophies and 'employee first' culture they've forgotten about honesty. The powers that be are SO removed from reality they've convinced themselves how 'great, wonderful and generous' they are in the world. I guess it may be easy if your compensation package is $2 million or more a year (which is public information). Mandatory meetings every couple of months which are a complete waste of time and this company LOVES. To quote Thomas Sowell...'People who enjoy meetings should not be in charge of anything'.

Clean house - from the Top down! The company is very top heavy with managers and executives who are overpaid, unskilled, inept and the list goes on.... Sadly, you have all lost sight of the things you claim to be so focused upon - the employees. Publish salaries and start setting some guidelines. Quit playing favorites and reward the individual for a job well done instead of some mysterious favoritism methodology which undermines loyalty. Or maybe just retire, move on and let the company become the great company it was long ago.

Worked for Container Store? Contribute to the Community!