Container Store Reviews

399 reviews filtered by

1. great company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Washington, DC

I worked at Container Store part-time (more than a year)

Pros

amazing atmosphere and great team work and amazing non corporate beliefs and great pay!!!!

Cons

hard to move up with the company but timing makes perfect

keep up the great work

2. A Company that truly puts employees first

I worked at Container Store full-time

Pros

Employee First Culture. Not just a mantra but it is living and breathing in each store. Foundation principles that drive successful business interaction every day. Fun work environment which really does drive an Air of excitement.

Kip is an amazing CEO. His business philosophy and Conscious Capitalism driven thought process constantly drive a successful, profitable and employee centric busieness.

Going public has really driven TCS closer together. I feel blessed to be part of it.

Thank you.

Cons

The company is growing and there are certain pains but overall it is a wonderful place to work and be part of everyday.

As opportunities arise at TCS be more clear in the communication of them. Area Director, GM, SM and FT leader positions. There needs to be more internal hires.

3. One of the best retail companies to work for but it has it's limits

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales/Visual in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales/Visual in New York, NY

I worked at Container Store part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

decent pay, affordable health benefits for PT employees, great training, amazing discount, awesome products

Cons

The company has changed since the IPO, management and customers can be challenging at times, hours flutuate dramatically, it's very hard to become full-time, not many growth opportunities, small raises, you have to purchase work shirts, favortisim, depending on your store staff can be very phoney, full of gossip, and everyone sucking up to managers. Things vary drastically from store to store, some markets are held at a higher standard than others.

More diversity in management. I feel like most of the managers are from the same background, and share the same experiences. Also, add some mid level positions, where all part-timers don't have to fight over the same, limited full-time openings.

5. Empoyee

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

You at least get paid.

Cons

Since going public all the store talks about is money. Money money money.

Can you please manage your employees.

6. Great company

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Container Store part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for retail industry; leadership has a plan and executes; schedule completed several weeks in advance; comfortable dress code

Cons

Don't really have any cons. Retail work has the same cons everywhere.

7. Great company but AWFUL benefits since going public

I have been working at Container Store full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great co-workers and pay, store is a good environment to work in and you're usually kept busy which is a good thing.

Cons

Since the company went public there have been a lot of negative changes. Full time hours have been cut, no more overtime and the biggest issue I have is with the change in health insurance. TCS goes through GPA and it used to be great but now we found out that prenatal care isn't basically free. I've never had insurance where that wasn't 100% covered- even Target covers it 100% and you only have to pay for birth! We have to pay our large deductible then 30% of all bills after that. When you enroll for health insurance they will not give you a breakdown of what is covered/ what isn't and if you call/ email to ask they'll skirt around the issue and not fully give you an answer. I feel like health insurance is a big deal and when you're already paying a lot per month for it and then have to pay huge deductibles and copays, the higher salary doesn't make it worth it. Definitely not in my book one of the best companies to work for.

8. Great part time opportunity

Current Employee - Sales/Order Processor in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales/Order Processor in Houston, TX

I have been working at Container Store part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I enjoy this part-time opportunity to earn better-than-average pay for a retail job. Hours are flexible, training for the job is on-going and helpful. Retail jobs can be very demanding at times, but there is a good atmosphere within this company and they generally hire bright, energetic people.

Cons

Physically demanding job at times, up and down ladders and unloading trucks. The corporate culture is good but not all managers embrace the culture all the time.

Please make sure ALL managers adhere to the corporate philosophies and Foundation Principles.

9. Not who they use to be

Former Employee - Full Time in Ellicott City, MD
    Former Employee - Full Time in Ellicott City, MD

I worked at Container Store full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with. Great discount. Great product

Cons

inadequate managers who doesn't Have management experience. Company is behind the current trends and Dont have the best business plan. the company is still a baby in the industry and the procedures reflect that. IT department is lacking. health benefits are horrible

Listen to the people who work on the frontline daily. the procedures you are creating don't Support what we do on a daily basis.

10. Great experience at first, then reality sets in

I have been working at Container Store (more than a year)

Pros

-positivity, encouragement from the staff
    -nature of work is fulfilling, helps with your own personal organization
    -pay is quite good for retail

Cons

-lots of backstage cliques. popularity contests over deserving recognition
    -micromanaging leads to stress, adding to an already heavy workload
    -truck process constantly understaffed, pushing for unrealistic time goals, leading to lower morale

-trust your staff to make smart decisions, stop micromanaging and undermining
    -spend more time on the sales floor, help out with truck every once in a while

11. Best internship ever!

Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Coppell, TX
    Former Intern - Marketing Intern in Coppell, TX

I worked at Container Store as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

There are too many pros to list, but the strong company culture and amazing co-workers are what really made my internship amazing! I got to do 2-week rotations with all of the marketing teams including creative, social media, community relations, cultural programs, paid media, customer engagement, and more. I learned so much about the company as well as marketing in general. This company is truly one-of-a-kind, and if you have the chance to apply- DO IT! There wasn't a single day where I didn't want to go into work, and most days they had to force me to go home! The environment both in-store and in the home office can't be beat and the food in the cafe is to die for!

Cons

The only thing I can think of is that because I am still in college, I had to adjust to working with peers that were older than me. Not really a con though... loved getting the chance to be in the 'real world' and work on communication.

I really loved the management! The leadership was so passionate about the employees and even as an intern I felt so cared for and like my opinion mattered.

Container Store Photos

Outside of a typical container store, this one located at 1460 East Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL (Photo attributed to Isipeoria - )
Chelsea Location