Container Store Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

1. It was great working there.

I worked at Container Store

Pros

Everyone was very friendly toward me and was helpful too.

Cons

Nothing, the managers was great and fun to be around.

Advice to Management

Continue your hard work and keep everyone happy.

2. TCS is a fun and supportive environment company to work for.

Current Employee - Prime Time Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Prime Time Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Container Store part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is very competitive and they have good benefits for part-timers. They offer a lot of training and your co-workers are supportive and fun.

Cons

Can be difficult to get a full-time position.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work

Prime time employee

I have been working at Container Store part-time

Pros

Great place to work- fun and exciting, employees are all friendly and great to work with. Team leaders are always positive and excited to be there.

Cons

Not much opportunity to work into full-time positions.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Prime Time Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Prime Time Sales Associate in Bellevue, WA

I worked at Container Store part-time

Pros

Great people, good corporate culture, flexibility with work schedule. Company provides a great deal of training.

Cons

The company went public a year ago and is going through some growing pains. There is no upward mobility if you start part time at the company.

6. Wish I had started my retail career here 20 years ago!

Current Employee - Prime Time Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Prime Time Sales Associate

I have been working at Container Store part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Absolutely a "people first" company. Great people that ALL work hard and work together as a team. They pay significantly better than other retailers and also provide limited healthcare benefits to part-time employees. Overall it is a great place to work to make extra money and work with mature, energetic and dedicated people. That applies from the CEO and upper management down to the part time staff.

Cons

Honestly, the things that frustrate me personally are usually fleeting and I always feel comfortable expressing any concerns to my supervisors at any time.

Advice to Management

Continue to value the Foundation Principles and ther is nothing The Container Store can't do! Going public can bring big changes to a company and I applaud you for doing all that you can to continue your commitment to "People First".

full time empolyee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

Great fellow employees surrounding you. Cream of the crop and all very kind. Leading salary and benefits.

Cons

at least at the South Loop location, as a new store , schedules are simply a disaster. Management is not typical of the company and seems to be very rigid and inflexible. This may be do to "new store" syndrome, trying to create perfection from the start. But, the experience is less than what I expected after reading the founder's book...makes the book seem like a fine idea but the reality is really far less than what he thinks is going on at ground level

Advice to Management

Stop micro managing and the unrelenting nit picking and listen to your employees. Their experience is just that., an experience. It is NOT someone in need of an attitude adjustment to fit some alternate reality.

They seem to think one size fits all

Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Container Store part-time

Pros

They empower their sales staff (who double as cashiers) to offer a customer a lower price when an item is damaged or beginning to look older than other items. They trust their judgment on the amount of discount offered so that the sales person most familiar with the issue can offer a discount that most fits in order retain a customer instead of losing them by hassling them with an inflexible attitude over something relatively small like many other companies do. The trust they show their sales staff makes the employee gain a sense of ownership in the company and want to represent it well by treating the customer with fairness and respect.

Cons

The company claims they pay top wages to their employees but they do not adjust the wage amounts to fit what a good wage is in the particular area in which the store is located. Being paid $__/hour may be a good wage in Texas but in California it is very low due to the high cost of living.

Advice to Management

Do research on the dollar amounts that constitute a good wage for each job position within your store relative to the cost of living where each store is located. The way it is, touting that you pay top wages and then paying employees the same amounts in California as you pay in Texas, where the cost of living is completely different, results in resentment, low morale and financial struggle for employees, You are losing many high quality people in your California stores because of this.

9. Warehouse

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

Great team, safe work environment, plenty of fun parties to attend during the year, cross trained in multiple departments. Good benefits.

Cons

Was promised to move to a certain department when changes to schedules/shifts became available. Then when changes were being made, said promise was broken.

Advice to Management

Learn to keep your word if want to be respected. Broken promises go a long way towards ripping apart a team. A team that is supposed to make you look good to the higher offices.

Tough schedule for a student, otherwise, go for it

Former Employee - Maintenance in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Washington, DC

I worked at Container Store part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good base pay All my co-workers minus a couple were excellent

Cons

Tough hours, both early and late in the evening Part time work, but hours burn you out

Advice to Management

Try to keep hours limited to what employees ask for. Many, including me felt that giving us 16 hours when we asked for 10 was too much.

11. I enjoyed the spirit of the work environment that made working here so enjoyable.

Former Employee - Transition Team in The Woodlands, TX
    Former Employee - Transition Team in The Woodlands, TX

I worked at Container Store part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The competitive pay and the spirit of the people.

Cons

Transition team gets placed on odd hour work shifts.

RSS Feed </> Embed