Container Store

Updated December 22, 2014
3.3

Container Store CEO and Co-Chairman Kip Tindell
Kip Tindell

Pros
  • As a part time employee at the time they offered health insurance and 401k after your first year (in 44 reviews)

• Decent pay rate for the industry plus 40% of employee discount on regular merchandise (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Many full time employees stay forever because it is a great place to work (in 56 reviews)

• Harder to juggle around with other commitments than other part-time jobs (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Contain Yourself

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Container Store part-time (more than an year)

Pros

As a part time employee at the time they offered health insurance and 401k after your first year. This is before Obama Care they are very friendly. I felt like it was a small family they want you to succeed they give you all the training you will need because then you can stand on your own. They are very generous with their discounts and I forgot to mention training is paid so are the meetings. Anything you want to learn about just ask enough times and they will tell you or train you.

Cons

I don't know about now but they didn't have tuition reimbursement very hard to get a full time position if you started out as part time. They prefer to ask you to quit instead of taking a leave of absence when they ask you this they tell you to reapply when your Doctor clears you.

detail oriented company with solid principles

I have been working at Container Store

Pros

working alongside team members who have similar passions, upbeat atmosphere, schedule is very flexible, teammates ALWAYS willing to develop each other in acquired skill sets.....phenomenal discount too!

Cons

although the advancement in the company is slow, your skill sets that you acquire along the way are solid which will enable you to communicate and help others along their path of development

sales

Former Employee - Prime Time Sales in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Prime Time Sales in San Diego, CA

I worked at Container Store part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Terrific support, training and tools to do your job effectively

Cons

retail hours, and cleaning bathrooms

it all depends on which store you work at

Current Employee - Prime Time Sales in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Prime Time Sales in Vienna, VA

I have been working at Container Store part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great products, wonderful company philosophy (foundation principles), excellent discount, above par coworkers.

Cons

Favoritism & nepotism. Schedules are never posted on time. Managers tend to hide in their offices. Hours are being cut because we can't "make our numbers" Register sales people are expected to capture email addresses from EVERY customer. Email capture percentages are posted in the break room and you will be in trouble if yours drops below 50% Role playing at huddle is silly at best. You need to be prepared to drink the koolaid if you want to work here.

Stop filling management and full-time positions with 'outsiders' and try promoting from within the company. There is a double standard here (at least at the Tysons store) as far as using sick time or being tardy is concerned. Management needs to set a better example. It is puzzling how a retail manager is able to 'work from home' so often.

conscience capitalism... until business slows down

Former Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time
    Former Employee - Visual Sales - Part Time

I worked at Container Store part-time (less than an year)

Pros

great training, great attitude, they are flexible, high integrity, really really care about employees and customers.

Cons

when business slows down, you get scheduled for very short shifts, rather than give 1 person a full shift they will split between 2 people. Pain if you commute very far.

keep up the good employer status!

Employee's First in the past maybe, it's more Payroll First nowadays

Current Employee - Prime Time Sales in Costa Mesa, CA
    Current Employee - Prime Time Sales in Costa Mesa, CA

I have been working at Container Store part-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

There are some great people that work at The Container Store.

Cons

Payroll is the major concern of our managers and not the needs of the store or the customers.

Reactive managing, instead of proactive leadership.

Nepotism is rampant at my store.

Store inadequately staffed during key hours of business.

Lack of Communication

We need to shift back to the needs of the customers, and not the needs of the numbers posted hourly. If you nurture the customers in the store they will grow the business. You can't focus too much on the numbers because you become too reactive, we need to become proactive.

Once Great Company In Trouble

I have been working at Container Store part-time (more than an year)

Pros

The hourly pay is good for retail, the employee discount is very generous and the other employees were a uniformly strong group of people who rose to the company's standards of being one employee equals three. Management was always respectful and fair, in my opinion. I always felt as if I was given the essential training needed for various departments or jobs. I felt valued as an employee and was treated well. I know other friends who have worked retail jobs have the exact opposite experience.

Cons

Since going public the company has been a slave to the bottom line. They have under staffed every shift, relying a little too much on the "one employee equals three." There was never enough coverage on the sales floor nor were there enough cashiers working the registers. Customers began to get disgusted with the lack of service and management sort of ignored the feedback we would give them regarding these problems. Also, as if the cash register lines were not long and tedious enough, the company piled even more responsibilities on the cashiers by insisting they ask every customer for an email address. Then they introduced this new POP! Star loyalty program which is even MORE time consuming at the register as customers spend time typing their information into a tablet as the line grows longer and longer with fewer cashiers than needed. Irate customers vent their anger on the cashiers and management does little to fix the problem.

You need more people on the clock. Customers want help and registers need to process sales and get people out much more efficiently. TCS's merchandise is fine, but it's not so special that people can't find it from other retailers. The company needs to return their focus to making their customers happy.

Your coworkers will be hot or miss.

Former Employee - Prime Time Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Prime Time Sales in New York, NY

I worked at Container Store part-time

Pros

The 40% discount. They work with your schedule.

Cons

No matter how good you are, they expect better, not because they want you to become better, because they want you to drink the company kool-aid and use your resistance as an excuse not to promote you or give you a raise. The pay rate is laughable.

Monitor your local management, specifically the NY Metro Area. Whose agenda is being promoted? Is local management towing the company line? (Think again)

It was an OK place to work, nothing specacular.

Current Employee - Prime Time Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Prime Time Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Container Store part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Really frienob for a year or so.dly people. The pay is not that great for the work load but it was a good j

Cons

pay is low and raises are real slow.

Very flexible with scheduling.

Current Employee - Part Time Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at Container Store part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people are great. Ive made great friends.

Cons

I've been there a few years and am continually pin-holed into one role. I'm getting very tired and they don't make training in new roles and rotating me into different roles a priority.

Container Store Photos

Outside of a typical container store, this one located at 1460 East Golf Road, Schaumburg, IL (Photo attributed to Isipeoria - )

+ Add Photo