Contech Engineered Solutions Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
2.9
Michael M. Rafi

Pros
  • Great people with the company's interests at heart (in 3 reviews)

• The pay and benefits are worth it (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • CONTECH employees are extremely dissatisfied and are exiting with the first reasonable opportunity (in 2 reviews)

• The "ELC" has run the company into the ground (in 2 reviews)

1. Great Company

Current Employee - Customer Solutions Coordinator and Inside Sales (CSC) in Irving, TX

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Great company culture where team work is strongly promoted. Comfortable work space. Great boss. Employees are valued for their efforts.

Cons

Sometimes it gets tedious to find the correct information when there are so many offices and plants all over the nation.

2. Inside Sales Rep

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative/Region Administrative in Long Beach, CA

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good communication, excellent commitment to industry.

Cons

I cannot think of any!

3. Like position, unsure of company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I like that there is a variety of projects to keep things interesting. What I do is definitely not boring, and I feel my professional development is encouraged. I also like the flexibility allowed in my schedule.

Cons

Sometimes, it appears that the senior management have no real sense of direction. Too many decisions seem to be "let's have one of these products too," without thinking out many of the needed details before selling a product

Advice to Management

"If you don't know which way you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else." Also, try to make sure decisions made at the home office don't interfere with the ability of people at the satellite offices to get things done.

5. So far so good

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions

Pros

Great opportunity to move forward in the company, granted you put in your work, which is win-win for both sides. Anything or anyone I rated less than 5 stars is due to not knowing how great or bad it may be.

Cons

None yet, but I am sure the cons are just the same as any other job. From what I have seen the pros outweigh the cons as long as you do your part.

Advice to Management

Keep taking care of those who are under you, and if you don't already, you should absolutely start.

6. Marketing coordinator

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in West Chester, OH

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great compant to work for! Excellant staff

Cons

Micromanaged, no room to grow

7. I hate working here as a welder in Redding California

Current Employee - Welder in Redding, CA
    Current Employee - Welder in Redding, CA

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pros of this company is the good pay as a welder. It gets very hot here in redding cal and the management buys water and Popsicles for us to have on break. I can't say much of anything else.

Cons

This is a really horrible place to work. When I went to go in to the interview they told me that it was really good that I certified and that they would need somone like me. They asked if I could read blueprints and I told them yes. I was so excited to join there company because I just got out of technical school. I am very skilled. So the next week I start working only to find out that there is no use for my certifications, the person next to me whom is welding has never welded before in his entire life, I don't need to read blueprints and I hate how management deceived me into this job by telling me that my skills are needed when there is no skill needed at all. The employees don't care about you and my new nickname is horible cuss words and I am constantly cut down and cussed out by the forman. They also will not provide me with a helmet that I need (mine is falling apart and is broken. When asked if I can use one of there helmets. I am told " I don't care what you need". I also self galvanized steel often and even with a respirator it makes me sick. I don't want to work here anymore. Bottom line is if you are a welder with certifications and you have loads of skill your skill isn't needed, so go find yourself a skilled job that will push you further into your career.

Advice to Management

You need actually get better fans and get welding helmets that blow cold air on you. Also listen to your employees when they say that somthing is needed. Tell the Forman to stop cussing me out.

Design Engineer

Former Employee - Design Engineer in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Design Engineer in Portland, OR

I worked at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Talented employees, robust product portfolio, decent work-life balance with vacation purchase option, good investment program with intermittent company matching. Fun atmosphere outside of the office..be prepared to drink and socialize. Wow..they supply coffee and soft drinks. Management, they love to come into town and flaunt their company expense accounts by taking the staff to expensive dinners...and then tell you that the money isn't there for raises or bonuses.

Cons

This top heavy company nearly destroyed my career, what a huge mistake and wasted years. The worst management I've had in my 15 year career. Peoples lives are meaningless while the CEOs play monopoly. I'm a seasoned PE and yet the company thinks its okay to have a non-PE supervisor. My supervisor couldn't and hasn't passed the PE exam after 3,4,5 attempts?! This company relies upon concrete fabrication; However, my supervisor didn't know how water/cement ratio effects concrete strength. Management fosters ill will and unhealthy competition in the staff. Salesmen and CAD techs rule, call the shots, and whine while the engineers that design, manufacture, and spec your products are not appreciated. The bean counters love to burden everyday activities such as phone calls, emails, and work tasks with redundant data base entries so that they can metric every function to look for inefficiencies..HELLO.

Advice to Management

Get ahold of yourselves.. you think your special but your a waste of money and resources. Flying around on jets firing people that lead your company in sales...excellent idea to save a few bucks by swindling out of paying bonuses. But then again how else do you put your wives in $1,000 Christian Louboutain shoes, fly to Cancun for a week on the company expenses, and make everyone kiss up to your arrogant overpaid selves?

Great place if you want to be a Salesman

Current Employee - Storm Water in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Storm Water in Portland, OR

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The pay is decent, the employees are friendly

Cons

Expect to work more than 45hrs a week, there is no sick pay, not all employees are treated the same, expect to hear inappropriate conversation, there is little to no engineering (90% sales, 10% engineering), At times selling a superior product, but often you are not.

Advice to Management

Management is too worried about being friends with employees and not their boss, unreal profit expectations

10. Why is Contech constantly hiring a cost accountant? What is the problem???

Current Employee - Cost Accountant in West Chester, OH
    Current Employee - Cost Accountant in West Chester, OH

Pros

Looking for an answer before considering a career there.

Cons

Obviously high employee turnover - I am wondering why?

Advice to Management

I am afraid to take a position there because of the constant turnover

11. Profitable company with great people, work culture, and benefits.

I have been working at Contech Engineered Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work hard, play hard mentality. Everyone is very approachable, kind, knowledgeable, and talented. This company is a great competitor, because of it's products, service, and the people behind it all. Great benefits and company values. Continuously recognized nationally for their wellness fairs and health initiatives.
    The company does a lot of outside volunteer work, including clothes and hygiene products to families in poverty, and service men and women in the military. Every Earth Month, across all locations nationwide, Contech employees go out into the community and plant flowers and trees, pick up trash around highways and waterways.

Cons

With the downturn in the economy, a large number of people were laid off. Additionally, the company went through a restructuring which is beneficial in the long run, but left people very upset and angry during the layoffs in the summer of 2013.

Advice to Management

Great work life balance. Management is very approachable and understanding towards family life, as they value theirs as well. Office culture is like great friends. The Management team is full of talented, hard working individuals. Would love to see more women and diversity in the company as a whole. However, the engineering field (in general) is still predominately male.

Contech Engineered Solutions Response

Jul 18, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thank you for this great review!

RSS Feed </> Embed