Conti Enterprises|Conti Federal Services

Updated March 5, 2015
20 reviews filtered by
2.9
Kurt G. Conti

1. Conti is a company with enormous transparency great visions and values!!

Current Employee - Corporate & Field Operations in Edison, NJ
    Current Employee - Corporate & Field Operations in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Conti Enterprises|Conti Federal Services full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I have been with the Conti team for a long time. It is truly a team! Over the years several opportunities beyond Conti have been offered to me but Conti is the right fit for me so I plan to retire here if the opportunity allows. I have on several occasions been told by past co-workers that the grass is not greener on the other side and regret ever leaving Conti.

Conti genuinely cares about their employees, if you work hard and work as if the company is your own the company recognizes this and compensates accordingly. The key to success with Conti, and honestly should be with any reputable company is to give them 100% all of the time and you will succeed. There are no free rides or handouts, but performance = reward. Simple as that.

Conti's benefit package, paid-time-off and compensation packages are above average in our industry. Communication and transparency amongst the team is one of the best values of working at Conti. All managers, including the CEO are very honest, and discuss openly the companies performance and always keep the employees aware of how they are performing their responsibilities. There are no surprises, you always know where you stand and are given opportunity to improve when needed.

Many people complain in our industry about work hours and work life balance. Well this is construction and it is very demanding and requires many hours of hard work. This is not unique to Conti. However, one thing I really like is that we are not clock watchers. If you do your job, are efficient and keep up with your tasks, nobody is going to question you if you need to leave early or come in late occasionally to take care of personal business. It's all about performance, the fact of the matter is work hard and you will have no issues.

Cons

As we grow both nationally and internationally, training is becoming more challenging. We have a solid training process, but it needs to be updated to cover the long distance issues and possibly not throw all new employees right into the mix of things. Suggest maybe new employes should shadow someone in their position for say 3 to 4 weeks so they have that true hands on training in all cases.

IT processes could be smoother and more efficient. We have unbelievable systems and are on teh cutting edge, but at times the processes become to rigid or slow to repond to our needs

Enhance the new hire training process to improve the challenges with training nationally and internationally. Maybe assign a long time employee that has been involved in all phases of the business to head this up. It will make the ramp up of new employees more efficient.

Keep up the good work, and continue focus on growing.

2. Long hours but good experience to start your construction career

I worked at Conti Enterprises|Conti Federal Services full-time

Pros

Good CM structure and values. I had good super's and PM's to work with so got to learn a lot. Performance appreciation is OK till you hit the mid senior level.

Cons

Upper management does not respect and respond well to needs of mid to senior level supers and PMs, from what I saw. I personally got what I wanted from the company, which was the most experience in the least amount of time. Work hours are crazy though.

Company talks about work life balance but didn't really see anything unique being offered by the company which no other company offers. Appraise people based on their performance, not by how much time they spend on the job.

Mar 12, 2015HR

We are glad to hear that you are happy with the experience you gained during your time with Conti. We want all of our employees to be successful and we foster an environment that provides challenging ... More

3. Good company to work for

I worked at Conti Enterprises|Conti Federal Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good company to work for

Cons

Requires a lot of weekly hours. Senior management may be a bit disconnected.

Dec 16, 2014HR

We are happy to hear that you found our Company to be good to work for! This Industry is very demanding but at the same time very rewarding both personally and professionally. Conti tackles many ... More

They will love you and use you until they decide you have no blood left

I worked at Conti Enterprises|Conti Federal Services full-time

Pros

Some of the people you work with are the best employees and very hard working. Unfortunately they all share the same exhaustion from constantly trying to give enough of themselves and more to be good enough for Conti. A few of the managers are invaluable like Sten who will do everything he can to help you succeed.

Cons

Beyond ridiculous hours are required if you want to get anywhere with this company... and then only if you are one of the favorites; Bonuses are held over your head so you kill yourself to meet the requirements and then it's a measly couple hundred bucks...which never adds up because when you see the financial statement and know exactly how cash flow positive the company is, the numbers just don't add up - total scam on the bonus program; Some of the senior management are an absolute joke, especially Anthony Blommel.

Clean House of the management team if you want to ever improve the morale of the majority. Stop lying to employees and scamming out on the bonus plan. They work their butts off and deserve it.

Dec 10, 2014HR

Thank you for your feedback. We are very proud of our Company’s reputation of matching the Gold Standard in the Construction Industry and would not have this reputation if it were not for our ... More

6. Great work and learning environment.

Current Intern - Estimator in Edison, NJ
    Current Intern - Estimator in Edison, NJ

I have been working at Conti Enterprises|Conti Federal Services as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Conti Enterprises is filled with a great human capital. Everyone is willing to lend a hand if you have a question or doubts about your project. You truly feel like a team when tackling the daily deliverables.

Cons

As an intern, I was required to do the work of a full-time employee, which was great; however, the pay for what you are doing is too low. There is also a big gap between the office personnel and the field personnel.

Dec 16, 2014HR

We agree with you 100%. Teamwork is one of the requirements to be successful at Conti. We want everyone to be successful and foster an environment that provides challenging opportunities so our ... More

7. just being honest

Pros

Benefits are good
    Not much else to say nice
    some of the people are cool

Cons

almost everything
    Hours are 45 with no lunch. The managers suck. people getting hired and fired all day. they talk about family balance but trust me it's not that at all. worst job ever. Don't go here !!

take some classes and be real managers
    learn to take care of your people

8. Conti is a good place to work if the civil infrastructure construction industry is where your passion lies.

Former Employee - Field Engineer in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Field Engineer in Edison, NJ

I worked at Conti Enterprises|Conti Federal Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-HR is very helpful throughout the interview process, orientation, and as a full-time.
    -Management, at least those I worked for, really value those who work hard and do their best to support to company.
    -As an entry-level employee you are continuously challenged by being given a lot of responsibility. If you succeed, you're rewarded; If not, well it's up to your manager to decide what happens.

Cons

-The hours on the field are long, which is typical in the construction industry. That is why you need to be sure that you construction is the industry for you. Otherwise, the 11+ hour work days will be miserable.
    -The long hours take a toll on your personal life.

9. Do not believe anything they tell you in the interview

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Edison, NJ

I worked at Conti Enterprises|Conti Federal Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

good civil contractor for low bid work

Cons

unsophiticated firm; change their direction every 6 months; weird vibe-Stepford wives atmosphere; if you were not there 20 years ago you will never belong; many illegal ways of making people work excessive hours; nepotism; passive agressive management--they will lure you in with big $$ and lay you off in 6 months after they pick your brain. Very untrustworthy.Fake safety numbers.

Wake up and get some non-family management; stay on the heavy civil

10. Very hypocritical company

I have been working at Conti Enterprises|Conti Federal Services

Pros

The people you work with are fun and enjoyable.

Health benefits are pretty good.

Cons

The culture and values that are written and shared with employees are not carried out at all. The most blatant one is Corporate Politics. There is a fine line at Conti and you are either on the good side or the side that just does their job. If you are on the "favorite" side you are worshipped and given better treatment than the people on the other side. Being a favorite also means sucking up and not giving feedback upper management does not want to hear. The group of people who are on the other side just do their job are not recognized for any rewards. They do a good job and get their work done but aren't "favorites".

Don't expect a raise or promotion because you won't receive it. Conti does not take care of employees who have been there 5+ years. They treat new hires better than loyal employees who have been there and worked hard for the company.

Conti implemented a flex hour plan which is a joke anyway. Employees are afraid to use it because if you don't work 50+ hours a week, you are looked at differently because upper management feels you are not doing enough work.

Employees can voice these concerns to their managers, but they just get swept under the carpet and forgotten about. Company moral is at an all time low and employees act like its every employee for themselves.

Upper Management needs to wake up and see that a lot of the issues start from the top. There are way too many VP's who micro manage too much. Reward your employees who have been there working hard. A 2%-4% raise every 18 months is a punch to the stomach.

Trust your employees and let them prove they can make decisions and take on work loads instead of trying to do everything yourself.

11. Positive work environment, but not the right fit for me

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Edison, NJ
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Edison, NJ

Pros

Human Resources is always willing to help, and the training programs are very involved. They like to promote from within, and if you want to shift gears to one of the other departments, they are usually very willing to accommodate that.

Cons

There is a big disconnect between the field employees and the office staff sometimes. Also, the salaries of some of the lower level positions are not in accordance with the hours and level of effort you are expected to put in. Very long days.

Don't forget and take advantage of the "lower" and entry-level employees on the field sites. Interact with the other departments - don't let someone go who actually could be needed in another department.