Conti Enterprises

Updated May 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Kurt G. Conti

Conti is a good place to work if the civil infrastructure construction industry is where your passion lies.

Field Engineer (Former Employee)
    Edison, NJ

Pros-HR is very helpful throughout the interview process, orientation, and as a full-time.
    -Management, at least those I worked for, really value those who work hard and do their best to support to company.
    -As an entry-level employee you are continuously challenged by being given a lot of responsibility. If you succeed, you're rewarded; If not, well it's up to your manager to decide what happens.

Cons-The hours on the field are long, which is typical in the construction industry. That is why you need to be sure that you construction is the industry for you. Otherwise, the 11+ hour work days will be miserable.
    -The long hours take a toll on your personal life.

Very hypocritical company

ProsThe people you work with are fun and enjoyable.

Health benefits are pretty good.

ConsThe culture and values that are written and shared with employees are not carried out at all. The most blatant one is Corporate Politics. There is a fine line at Conti and you are either on the good side or the side that just does their job. If you are on the "favorite" side you are worshipped and given better treatment than the people on the other side. Being a favorite also means sucking up and not giving feedback upper management does not want to hear. The group of people who are on the other side just do their job are not recognized for any rewards. They do a good job and get their work done but aren't "favorites".

Don't expect a raise or promotion because you won't receive it. Conti does not take care of employees who have been there 5+ years. They treat new hires better than loyal employees who have been there and worked hard for the company.

Conti implemented a flex hour plan which is a joke anyway. Employees are afraid to use it because if you don't work 50+ hours a week, you are looked at differently because upper management feels you are not doing enough work.

Employees can voice these concerns to their managers, but they just get swept under the carpet and forgotten about. Company moral is at an all time low and employees act like its every employee for themselves.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper Management needs to wake up and see that a lot of the issues start from the top. There are way too many VP's who micro manage too much. Reward your employees who have been there working hard. A 2%-4% raise every 18 months is a punch to the stomach.

Trust your employees and let them prove they can make decisions and take on work loads instead of trying to do everything yourself.

Positive work environment, but not the right fit for me

Project Engineer (Former Employee)
    Edison, NJ

ProsHuman Resources is always willing to help, and the training programs are very involved. They like to promote from within, and if you want to shift gears to one of the other departments, they are usually very willing to accommodate that.

ConsThere is a big disconnect between the field employees and the office staff sometimes. Also, the salaries of some of the lower level positions are not in accordance with the hours and level of effort you are expected to put in. Very long days.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't forget and take advantage of the "lower" and entry-level employees on the field sites. Interact with the other departments - don't let someone go who actually could be needed in another department.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

Edison, NJ

Pros- Career development: At Conti, you truly own your career. Employees are encouraged to have constant communications with managers on where they want to go and managers are given all of the training and guidance to get their employees to that next level.
    - You will love your co-workers! Conti hires the best of the best - it is fun to work in a fast-paced environment with people who are just as driven and motivated as you are!
    - You are given tons of responsibility early in your career. The best idea wins, whether it comes from the CEO or an entry level field engineer. Junior employees are encouraged to participate in discussions and challenge whether a process or an idea makes sense.

Cons-The hours are tough, and work/life balance is a struggle. The company recently implemented flex-time to help with this. It was definitely a step in the right direction.

Advice to Senior Management- Senior management team is very approachable and does a great job of building relationships with junior employees.
    - Going forward, the company is going to have to become more flexible to the wants and needs of the younger generation (i.e. they do not want to work excessive hours, weekends - they value personal time).

If desperate for work, go to Conti for 1 or 2 years and then bounce

Edison, NJ

ProsIt's a small, understaffed company so you get a lot of responsibility as a junior employee. There are some tremendous, hardworking, intelligent people there, but none of them are in the management positions that they deserve because they're not related to the CEO.

ConsZero work-life balance and you're basically guilt-tripped and looked down upon if you try to leave at a reasonable time. They follow goverment per diem rates and have a travel incentive (a plus, I guess), but no amout of money is worth what they'll put you through when you're on the road. They promise rotations home every 2-3 weeks but the jobs are so poorly staffed that you can't actually take them. They promise incentives like a twice yearly bonus, but they'll be withheld because the company is cash poor. They don't have a program/calendar for promotions, so when they say "we can promote you as soon as you're ready" what they really mean is "we don't actually have to promote you...ever."

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house in upper management -- the "culture" you preach is a facade and you're driving away really impressive people by not being flexible and adapting. It's amazing what giving people 2 hours of their day back will do for morale. A mandatory 10 hr (minimum!) work day with zero flexibility is deplorable.

Frustrating and disappointing.

Field Engineer (Former Employee)
    Edison, NJ

ProsIt's a small company which means there is a possibility for the company to grow and you to grow with it.

ConsIt's a small company and resource is spread extremely thin. Expect to be having to do ALOT for the compensation offered.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore transparency. Listen to your employees. It's spoken about a lot but nothing really changes as a result.

Review

South Plainfield, NJ

ProsDiverse company; if you have a good manager you will grow. Must get a good mentor/manager in order to grow though.
    Don't get lost in the group.

ConsNO WORK/LIFE BALANCE! It is preached but not practiced. You almost feel guilty for leaving after a 10 hour day.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to offer support and mentorship to your employees. It's appreciated.

Great Company with Huge Growth Potential

ProsThe people - Conti has some of the best in the business. You are surrounded by top performers and everybody works. Dead weight is cut quickly. Excellent recruiting program keeps the teams strong. And they are fun to work with.

Great learning opportunity - a lot of time and money is invested in employee development. Conti University training courses, extensive basic and on the job training, and outside training such as Can Do Leadership are offered to high potential employees.

Best idea wins - employees are encouraged to push and challenge the status quo. Company culture is very entrepreneurial and encourages thinkers, not followers. Little red tape/bureaucratic hoops to jump through/corporate politics. No BS.

Company culture is all about honesty and hard work. I've worked for several different managers in different departments and this is consistent throughout.

ConsWork life balance can be a challenge, but will be for anyone who works for a growing company and is ambitious. Currently resources are spread thin. The hours are long, no doubt about that - don't expect to clock a mere 40 hours, but you get a lot of learning experience for your time.

Work is very challenging - you'll be pushed to learn and do more as you develop. If you're happy with the status quo and having a defined role, Conti's not the place for you.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening to your employees - flex time and adjusting the bonus structure are two good moves that have addressed common criticisms. Start hiring now for big influx of work that's coming in the next 6-12 months so you don't burn out the employees you have.

Smoke and Mirrors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsI am a former employee of this company (Conti Enterprises/Conti Federal Services/Conti of New York) and I spent a good portion of my professional career here (10+ years). I could best describe this company as construction boot camp. You are thrown into the fire and basically forced to learn through experience. The projects are very diverse and that gives employees, particularly young, energetic employees, the opportunity to gain experience in many different types of projects.

The majority of the people are or were great...particularly the field guys. Very down to earth, hard working people.

But that is about where the pats on the back end.

ConsCompany preaches one thing and does the complete opposite. For years they have been hooking prospective employees with the bogus line that this is a family company that cares about its employees, gives fair compensation, and doles out hefty bonuses. Well yes, it is a family company, if you are somehow related to the CEO or enjoy kissing @!$.....but it hasn't cared about it's employees since the old man relinquished the company to his son. Since then it has been a steady path to stuffing the family pockets while cutting any and all perks to the employee (i.e. cut backs on company activities like the Christmas Party, Fishing Trips, Christmas Trees, Day off for your Birthday, and Cost of Living Increases). Compensation is fair....but remember you are not working a normal 40 hour work week...and the 50 hour minimum they advertise is more like 60+.....just try to show up at 7am and leave at 5:30pm and see how long you last before someone has the talk with you. And as for bonuses....this is just a criminal lie. You'll hear every excuse why you won't get your bonus. Anything from underperforming projects (even if you have nothing to do with those projects), to cash flow issues (shouldn't the senior managers be getting slapped around for not keeping an eye on this and not the employees), to the very creative "we borrowed money from this bonus pool to pay you your last bonus....so no bonus this time." I remember my first three bonuses were <$300 each and then I went a strech of 6 straight bonus periods with $0.....and I was working like a dog....averaging almost 60 hours per week. Some higher ups had the nerve to tell me that I should be happy I was getting anything.....you try logging over 800 hours a year more than a normal 40 hour a week job and get handed a $300 check for your time....and see how happy you are going to be.

As for a work/life balance......forget about it. You are expected to be at work by 6:30am and everyone is still pasted to their computers at 6:00pm.....partly for fear of their spineless boss turning on them because someone saw them leave earlier than everyone else. The majority of the higher ups don't see any issue with this because that is how they have worked at this company for 20 years.....so everyone else should just stop complaining and be happy they have a job.

I agree with one of the previous posts......sign on, work the system, learn as much as you can, and then take that experience to a company that is going to treat you right. Stay no more than 2 or 3 years. And if you have a family.....or a family you love to see....stay away!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart actually reading the comments on the exit interviews. You have had significant turnover in the past year and everyone is saying the same thing.......it's not us......it's you. Trust me, many that are still there are only there because they haven't found the right exit door yet....but they are looking.

Oh...and when someone decides to leave....don't act like a scorned girlfriend/boyfriend. Acknowledge that that employee has given you X years of service, wish them luck, and part ways with some class. Ignoring them when you see them in the hall ways is......well....I can't even call that high schoolish....even teenagers show more maturity than that. You tell interviewers to treat people they interview with respect because you don't know where they may end up and how their interview experience will affect the company's business in the future.....well it's the same with former employees....do you not expect to cross paths with them ever again?

Not a fan - High Turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou learn a lot because you are expected to do a lot.

ConsYou are stretched very thin because resources are tight. They advertise 2 bonuses, but it depends on revenue which hasn't been great. Very few bonuses over last few years.

If you are looking for no work life balance, you will do well here. If you have a family, I don't recommend it at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees better so that turnover isn't so high. Live by the core values that are set in place. Don't just have them for show.

Worked for Conti Enterprises? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Conti Enterprises reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Conti Enterprises CEO Kurt G. Conti. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by Conti Enterprises employees.