Contiki Reviews

Updated July 14, 2014

1.1

David Hosking
1 Rating

Contiki may be a fun vacation; work here at your own risk.

Former Employee - Web  in  Anaheim, CA
    Former Employee - Web in Anaheim, CA

I worked at Contiki

Pros

Great co-workers, top notch HR department, casual dress work enviornment

Cons

Lack of imagination, creativity, poor management, extremely high employee turn-over.

Be more in tuned with your employees and sincerely care about employees' growth and advancement. The new Director of this department managed to turn around an entire team within 5 months because of unsatisfied employees, but yet she is still there. This proves how much Senior Management sincerely cares about their employees. The Director failed to provide guidance, long term goals, and direction to the department and is merely a do'er, not a manager. Planning is non-existent and works only on an ad-hoc basis.

Agree - Work at your own risk

Current Employee - Tour Manager  in  Anaheim, CA
    Current Employee - Tour Manager in Anaheim, CA

I have been working at Contiki

Pros

Great opportunities to travel and experience the world, Met really nice people from around the world, Can make a lot of money if you are a good Tour Manager

Cons

Disrespect towards employees personal life, Extreme disregard for personal safety of Tour Managers, Underqualified and distracted management (little interest in running a "great" company, as much as just getting the job done)

Develop your good employees and listen to employee feedback, as tour managers are the representatives on the road. Contiki would prefer to have bad Tour Managers whose poor work performance endangers other staffmembers, poorly represents the company to vendors and staff then to develop strong employees because stronger employees are a greater threat to management. Take complaints seriously instead of blowing them off and endangering your employees and clients personal safety and health.

HOLIDAY REP AT CONTIKI - NEVER NEVER WORK HERE!!!! CONTIKI HOLIDAY MANAGERS ARE A NASTY PIECE OF WORK!

Former Employee - Holiday Representative
    Former Employee - Holiday Representative

I worked at Contiki as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

NONE. There are absolutely no pros to working here. As a Rep, I would expect to interact with the guests and get to join in some of the fun. It's practically slave labour - getting paid £5 an hour to clean dirty huts and wash dishes in the heat. I was treated disgustingly by this company and don't wish this kind of treatment upon anyone.

Cons

I was a Rep for contiki in 2012. The company treats you like absolute rubbish. I was told I would be sent to a lovely onsite team in the French Riveria where I would get to work behind the bar and party with the guests. Yes it wasn't meant to be a career it was a summer job for a University graduate. It was aboslutely horrendous. The bar already had their own staff so I was made to cook and clean every day. Cleaning dirty little huts that Contiki holidaymakers have slept and shagged in, picking up toenails and trying to make it look 'presentable' for them. My Contiki Manager treated me horribly - I was paid £5 an hour to clean huts for 8 hours. If I didnt clean them to my managers standard, she would make me go back and do it again. I was expected to cook for 250 people - I could barely cook for myself let alone 250 people - and I was given a few days to 'learn the recipies off by heart'. When I didn't grasp them all, I was told I was too slow and that the manager's boss in London who had hired me was going to be called. I was then FIRED - because it took me over a week (heaven forbid!!) to get to grips with a job that was always changing. I was also told I was being unprofessional when I chatted to some of the partygoers because it made Contiki look bad. NEVER WORK HERE!!! Especially if you want a fun holiday Rep job. I got leave the compound once in two weeks - for a few hours. I felt like I had been in a prison!! If you want rubbish pay and to be treated like crap then by all means work here....

Sort out your Onsite Managers. They treat their Reps rubbish. Also, making someone clean huts for 8 hours a day should be called a 'cleaning job'. Do NOT advertise this a 'Rep' job, because it's not.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

do not work for them

Former Employee - Rep  in  Rome (Italy)
    Former Employee - Rep in Rome (Italy)

I worked at Contiki as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

you do get free food !

Cons

signing a contract with contiki is worthless.First you have to make your own way to london.then you train for 2 weeks unpaid, then some staff will be used but if slow which it always seems to be they will tell you you cant start yet so you can find yourself stranded in london for literally months., so make sure you take plenty of money to survive. then when you do eventually start work you can find yourself with early unemployment depending on how busy it is.. contiki as a company has absolutley no standards or interest in its employees other than exploitation, dont be taken in by their freedom and big adventure slogans,they apply only to paying customers. DISGRACE

suicide

Don't do it. Beware of Contiki: the not-so-fun place to work.

I worked at Contiki

Pros

Travel the world, meet (some) cool people

Cons

Horrible treatment, no support, stressed environment. Once you make it through the ridiculous training which includes no sleep, unsafe practices, yelling and even being spat on, you get to become a Tour Manager. But don't worry, they'll still treat you badly and proper sleep will feel like a distant memory.

By providing Tour Managers with more resources, you'll have better tours. It's as simple as that and it's what the clients want. During training, wouldn't it be better to support your future TMs to learn the most that they can about the country they'll be working in, rather than intimidate and undermine them? Do you even realise that on your training tours, people wake up vomiting most mornings? One of my friends from training even had her hair fall out from stress.

BIG WARNING!! Dont do it! It cost me thousands of $$ to relocate and I never earned it back!

Current Employee - Europe Tour Manager  in  London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Europe Tour Manager in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Contiki as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Travel to many places
    Meeting new people

Cons

Staff are treated like cheap labour and put up with terrible living conditions on tour
    Unhygienic bathrooms, bed bugs, mouldy carpets
    Money is never what they tell you - be aware
    It costs you a fortune to get the position - no travel expenses are paid, then when you get to Europe you find out all these bad conditions you have to work under with very minimal pay

Don't you ever ask yourselves why most of your crew only stay for one season then leave?

Worked for Contiki? Contribute to the Community!