Continental Airlines
www.united.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Continental Airlines Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2014

Continental Airlines President and CEO, United Continental Holdings, Inc. Jeffery A. Smisek

Jeffery A. Smisek

Pros:
  • "the flight benefits were great too"
    in 31 reviews
  • "The health and flight benefits are great"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you are not a pet or favorite of immediate middle management, you can expect your life to be miserable"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The airline industry in general Overall this company is solid"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Hideous

Crew Scheduler (Former Employee)

ProsSometimes you get to fly. getting back is tough.

ConsAwful lower level management. No respect for non-union employees. Abuse and favortism is rampant. If you are not a pet or favorite of immediate middle management, you can expect your life to be miserable. I can't begin to describe how awful it was to work in that place and how glad I was when I finally left. Initiative is not rewarded. Training is awful. I have since moved on and am very happy in the position i have now at another company.

Advice to Senior ManagementComplete review and overhaul of middle and lower management - down to supervisor level.

It's fine

Human Resources (Former Employee)
    Baltimore, MD

ProsFee for travel (not airfare) on standby for pleasure travel.

ConsFlying standby means being granted a seat on your flight after all paying passengers have been awarded their seat and after every employee with an earlier hiring date than you have been awarded their standby seat. Good luck ever getting on the airplane. If the aircraft or flight cancels, you're on your own merit and can be stuck for days.

Loved working with the company

Analyst (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

Prosfriendly people.great benefits great place to work

Consmoved to Chicago and placed a lot of hard works jobless

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was the best place I've ever worked!

Asa (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsGood pay, excellent benefits, free travel, huge discounts on cruise ships, rental cars, and hotels.

ConsNone. I loved everything about Continental!

The most wonderful place and people to work with.

Flight Attendant (Former Employee)
    Cleveland, OH

ProsYou meet so many new people.

ConsHaving to get used to the customers being so rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire only Flight Attendants that have been flying for at least 5 years to be managers.

Fantastic Comapny

Executive Assistant (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work - fantastic leadership up through Larry Kellner

ConsWhen they merged with United it killed the soul of the company

Advice to Senior ManagementGo back to treating customers and employees with dignity and respect

It was a great place to work

ProsLot of integrity, pride and true team work.

ConsVery little and few. Number of vacation days...

Advice to Senior ManagementKept open communication channels.

terrible for seeing ipay...websites dont work..app dont work

Industrial Technician (Current Employee)

Prosi get paid one day early that is the only pro

Consthe ipay app on my phone does not show what was taken out for what...it's very complicated and you cant see deductions ..always says its not available it's a joke...the desk top you can see deductions but very confusing..current deductions mixed with year to date deductions and it constantly makes you change password but when you go to change the password the website dont come up...good for companies terrible for employees..ive never had a problem getting my money thats the only plus..early never late but you cant log in 90% of the time...

Advice to Senior Managementfix adp app...been several months you obviously don't review problems ive emiled so have co workers .. fix website it don't work.. sorry about no punctuaton im still upset and you have proven you wont fix it anyway you still get paid the same why spend money on problems if the companies dont care thanks for the complicated service becoming the american way im livid...

Flight Attendant

Flight Attendant (Current Employee)
    San Francisco, CA

Pros- Bases available - EWR, IAH, CLE, IAD, DEN, ORD, LAX, SFO ( subject to change, open only when there is a need)
    - Guarantee 83 hours on reserve

Cons- Days off as reserve (10 days off as reserve but company can move 6 of those 10 days)
    - Reserve call out system - (2) 4 hour on call periods, or 8 hour on call, or 24 hour on call.
    - On reserve for the whole month
    - If you are Quick Called, you must be in the airport within 2 hours
    - 1K/GS customers get first choice of meal inflight, and are seated in the last row of first class,

Advice to Senior Management- How do you expect inflight crew to sell more food/alcohol for, when we are not given any commission for it.
    - The GS customers think they have too much power, and the company already know that because Inflight has been complaining about it, but they are not doing anything about it.
    - Live a few days in our shoes and let's see if the way you want us to provide customer service works.
    - Tell catering to come on board with us on our flights, and let's see if their cooking instructions work.
    - Since merging with United, Continental customers and workers are have seen a decline with customer service.
    - Stop short staffing flights, we need more FAs to provide the customer service you want.
     - Bring back Gordon Bethune

CAL

Flight Attendant (Former Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsThey provided an amazing product and were composed of the best flight attendants

ConsAfter the merger many managers started making life harder for the staff out of fear for their job. The quality of the product CAL offered dropped

Advice to Senior ManagementWith any merger your people are likely to get scared. Ensure the quality of the treatment of the people who provide your product/future product. It will benefit you in the end.

Worked for Continental Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Continental Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Continental Airlines CEO Jeffery A. Smisek. All 195 reviews posted anonymously by Continental Airlines employees.