Continental Airlines
www.united.com Chicago, IL 5000+ Employees

Continental Airlines Reviews

Pros:
  • "the flight benefits were great too"
    in 31 reviews
  • "The health and flight benefits are great"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "If you are not a pet or favorite of immediate middle management, you can expect your life to be miserable"
    in 8 reviews
  • "The airline industry in general Overall this company is solid"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Continental is the best US carrier to work for.

Aircraft Mechanic (Current Employee)
    Orlando, FL

ProsA company with good leadership and vision towards the future. They seem to proactive instead of reactive to the pit falls of the industry.

ConsIt is an Airline and like all of the otheree carriers the airline business is tough one.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep making customer service number one. We are still full service and not a low cost carrier. Keep it up

Great company to work for

Flight Attendant (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsI get to travel all over the world and get paid for it.
    I also meet all kinds of people from all walks of life, and I enjoy working with my coworkers.

ConsSince I don't live at my base, I have to commute.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Continental Airlines is the best!!

International Service Manager (Current Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsGreat morale, and flexibility of schedule.

ConsLot's of time away from home, and holidays missed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet us some big airplanes, and lets expand more internationally!!!!

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Continental is a leader among airlines as a place to work

B757/B767 First Officer/Pilot (Current Employee)
    Newark, NJ

ProsContinental Airlines has a great corporate culture. Employees on the whole are respectful toward each other. Continental Airlines also has one of the best airline management teams.

ConsContnental Airlines is still subject to the downsides of the industry. Management is quick to pass on pay cuts, and very slow to provide raises.

Advice to Senior ManagementWith oil at $40 a barrell it is time to give employees some raises. Additionally a major motivator of your employees is nonrev pass travel. As loads increase, you should consider giving each employee two sets of positive space first class passes.

Senior Management Sucks

Gate Agent (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsBenefits. Travel. Flexability. Pay is decent for what we do.

ConsSenior management at Houston Airport. Senior Director, Assistant Directors and hub Mangagers all need to be replaced.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay at work once in a while and appreciate your employees. Employees not Equals or Hub Managers. It seems like the A.D.s a re always playing golf or leaving once the Senior A.D or Vp is gone and then they pull a hub Manager to cover them so they can leave. They are Over paid and all they do is shoot e-mails back and fourth.

A Continental Flight Attendant's view from the sky.

Flight Attendant (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsBest reasons to work for Continental are the Benefits, Work Schedule and People I work with!!

ConsSchedules change every month and base on senority you may have to work Holidays. However, there is always a way to change your schedule to hold days off. Dealing with Passengers who are not familar with the rules of the airline industry and become confrontational is hard to deal with. Carry on baggage has been an issue during boarding. Also having to deal with cramped seating during a long, full flight.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more comfort in coach class seating. Provide a better boarding system to help out Flight Attendants and Agents during the boarding phase of flight. Better on-time for everyone involved! Extra large passengers in smaller seats need to be dealt with outside of the aircraft due to the embarrassment of the passenger and those around them in close proximity...also, not all flight attendants know how to deal with this professionally.

Continental Airlines is a great place to work!

Customer Care Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFlexibility is the best reason to work for Continental Airlines

ConsPay isn't the greatest because of 9/11. But it is getting better

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing the job you are doing

Listen.

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsYou just can't get the jet fuel out of your blood. Out of all the big 5 airlines, Continental is the best, but has a ways to go to be equatible to middle management.

ConsOver 10 years since a pay increase, in fact it has decreased. Benefits are starting to disappear, and the Dignity is certainly on the downside. I don't think our executives listen to employees ideas anymore. They have their own ideas and be damned the employees ideas.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the ideas given by employees. In our cabin since we are steadfast on the checked bag policy we must figure out something about pillows and blankets.
    The ideal would be to eliminate these special charges and separate ourselves from the rest of the pack. We are losing bookings to Southwest due to this in markets we compete. People are actually OK with making stops and changes of planes to keep from paying added fees. It creates ill will with our passengers and on full flights our passengers are fighting each other for overhead space.

A great place to work if you are interested in flight benefits.

Manager Technology (Former Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsFlight benefits are great if you can get on a flight and not bothered by standby. CO also offers benefits to domestic partners.

ConsLow pay versus similar jobs on the market and there is little opportunity for career advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management should be required to take more courses on leadership and mentoring. Many in senior management roles have the work skills but not the people skills.

Overall a good place to work - but why are you in this industry?

Flight Dispatcher (Current Employee)
    Houston, TX

ProsFlexability in Schedule with day/shift trades. Travel Benefits (when you can get on a flight...they are always so full when you want to go someplace.)

ConsShift Work - 24/7 operation. No Holidays off for several years until you get seniority.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep us #1
    How can we fix the delays in EWR? It's affecting my on time bonus checks

Worked for Continental Airlines? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Continental Airlines reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Continental Airlines CEO Jeffery A. Smisek. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Continental Airlines employees.