Continental Alloys and Services
www.contalloy.com 50 to 149 Employees

Continental Alloys and Services Reviews

Be The First To
Add Photos

Company with good talent ran by incompetent management

Administration (Former Employee)
Spring, TX

I worked at Continental Alloys and Services

ProsContinental Alloys and Services is a company full of several brilliant, motivated and educated employees. The company hosts elaborate parties to build client/employee relations which are often "above par". Compared to other companies its size, Continental Alloys and Services has a "close knit" feel.

ConsAlthough the company is full of talented employees, most of them will never have the opportunity to advance or prove their capabilities and they will never be appreciated to teh extent they should because it is "expected" of you. Their employee handbook states that salaried employees (which accounts for 90% of the employees) says that the work week begins at 12am on Sunday and ends on Saturday at 11:59pm. Also, threatening non-compete agreements that are kindly labeled by Continental Alloys and Services as "confidentiality agreements" leave employees feeling held hostage in fear they will face legal repercussions if they ever leave the company for similiar work elsewhere. This company is known for their lawsuits and for contacting the company and employee is trying to get hired on at and threatening the company with legal repercussion as well.

Advancement in this company is based on two factors: 1) how well you "know" the executives and 2) how good you "kiss up". For example, they have people in senior management who cannot even work an excel document or reconcile an insurance bill but they "know" the executives so it is overlooked and such dirty work is done by the "underpaid" assistants. The company provides annual reviews at which time you have the opportunity to receive an increase in pay. However, any requests for increases in the interum will often go ignored and have negative results on your next review. But, for example, last year when the economy was "struggling", Continental Alloys and Services took advantge of the situation and did not provide any of its employees with raises and instead used the money to host an elaborate "Oktoberfest" party for its clients at the "Crystal Ball Room" in Downtown Houston with elaborate ice sculptures, high-end buffet items, unlimited alcohol and a live band.

Layoffs are very common at this company, often occuring on an annual basis. Basically, they hire a bunch of people and when the money gets tight, they lay people off. Demotions and relocations happen more than necessary simply because so many employees are stuck with managers who either never show up to work, stay out partying with the executives and show up drunk and incapable of doing anything or they end up with managers who simply do not appreciate them or do not take the time to train them. But don't dare ask to be transferred to another department. That rarely happens and is know to be the open door to early termination.

Due to the "close knit" feel, you often find youself trusting everyone and you find yourself an active part of the rumor mill. It is one that has destroyed many employees and it will always be a significant part of the company since there are so many "cliques". It is often referred to as "Continental High" - just like high school all over again!

This company is lucrative with its shady hiring manager and atttractive salaries but do not be mistaken... this company will not hesitate to use you and when you try to escape, they will threaten you. It is a hell hole. The benefits are terrible (especially for families).

Advice to Senior ManagementFind managers who are actually capable of doing their jobs... a big hint would be to find someone who actually has the ability to hire people that are capable! Put more focus on lifting your employees up and encouraging them, not threatening them or belittling them. Executives need to stop trying to be the "cool kids on the block" by throwing the "biggest" parties and hiring the "hot" women and just focus on business. Also, the company might want to consider hiring "legal" workers.

Management has a long way to go.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Continental Alloys and Services

ProsHolds great company events for customers, vendors, and employees. Decent benefits for single employees considering the size of the company.

ConsHR department is managed poorly and only has the best interest of the company in mind. Employee/Family benefits are outrageously high. Management and Sales Leaders come back to work intoxicated and unable to work at least once a week.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to Senior Management is that they wouldn't need to remind employees that they are lucky to have a job if they focused more on their employees then their company image.

Job experience depends on who your manager is

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Continental Alloys and Services

ProsThis company is family owned and is relatively a good place to work. The owners are very nice and the office setting has more of a country feel than corporate. The company caters several employee events throughout the year. These events are well-organized and and provide the opportunity for employees to get to know everyone in the company and even customers. They give out awards for years of service and provide training, matching 401K, medical, dental, vision plans.

ConsSome departments are headed by inexperienced managers. The manager that headed my department was very bad at communicating with everyone within his department. This caused time to be wasted on unnecessary work. Feedback for job performance was unclear. After 1 year, my review manager gave me a good review but I received the worst raise in my entire career from this department manager. He openly talked negatively and held grudges against company employees that may have disagreed with him in the past. He also had control game that he liked to play which involved playing musical offices within his department. In the last 2 months that I was employed there, I was moved, as were others, to a different office space 6 TIMES. Then he tried to wrongly accuse me of having problems with another coworker. When I confronted him about this, he told me that what I did was serious enough to report to HR but would not give me any details. When I suggested that we involve HR then, he told me not to worry about it because if I wasn't doing a good job I would not be working for him. Two weeks later, I was laid off. He had taken a vacation day on that day. Worst manager that I ever had.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you insist on keeping this one, provide him with training on how to treat his employees.

Worked for Continental Alloys and Services? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Continental Alloys and Services reviews and ratings. All reviews posted anonymously by Continental Alloys and Services employees.