Continental Mills

Be The First To
Add Photos

John M Heily

Great Privately Owned Company

Region Manager (Former Employee)

ProsOwners of Company cares about their employees. CM is small enough to know all employees, but big enough with resources to grow.

ConsTheir smaller size may limit opportunities for advancement. May not have the resources to fully develop/train their people.

Great place to work

ProsGreat wok life balance, a great place to learn and grow.

ConsDecision makign takes a long time

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people doing the work. They have good ideas

Strong Company...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWork/life balance...best I've experienced
    Company is on solid ground
    Good pay/benefits

ConsNo advancement opportunities.
    Slow moving on decision making by management
    There are "inner circles" in the company...if you are not part of them, you will know nothing. Being a manager does not automatically include you in the inner circles.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Be prepared to challenge yourself and others if you want to get anything accomplished.

ProsWork life balance, great access to all facets of business, growing,constantly changing.

ConsMinimal opportunities for advancement, upper management that has a hard time making decisions, takes forever to get anything done.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust the employees you've hired to develop and drive the business of today and spend your time planning for the future.

Stagnant culture with weak leadership and lack of advancement opportunities

(Current Employee)

ProsCompensation and benefits package above market. Free coffee.

ConsPassive aggressive culture with low threshold for those who deviate from the paternalistic, decision-by-committee ethos. Weak, complacent senior leadership team that lacks vision. Top heavy organization with no true leader.

Unfortunately, many of the people who work here don't like working here (or each other). Many are stuck - the compensation is too attractive to take a chance on the unknown in this economy. Those who appear to be happy here are in senior management or are well-liked by senior management, and have some level of authority (VPs and Directors, mostly). Bad behavior is tolerated at all levels. The company does not hold employees accountable for their behavior or performance so long as they tow the company "culture" line.

Very few opportunities for advancement exist among those in mid-management (managers, associates, specialists). As a result, different departments operate as mini-fiefdoms in order to compensate for lack of power or recognition. It is stressful and toxic - you are always looking over your shoulder in this mini-shark tank.

Many employees' career experience has only been at CMI; thus, no diversity of thought nor any degree of comfort with change. This is particularly true with manufacturing and the supply chain divisions.

On the positive side, the company offers free annual on-site health screenings, quarterly fitness reimbursement and company-sponsored events. Benefits and salary are above market. However, I'd trade in the free health screenings and company outings for more recognition and a more professional culture any day.

Advice to Senior ManagementReevaluate the company's vision, culture and values, along with how they are expressed in the workplace. Are you really walking the walk? Create more accountability at all levels of the organization (yourselves included). Reward good work, not the squeakiest wheels. Provide opportunities for growth and advancement. Take the opportunity to engage outside expertise in leadership, mentoring, coaching to help your team and your subordinates grow. Show humility and be willing to learn from those people at the lowest levels of the organization, or at least learn their names. Or, at the very least, make eye contact with them when you pass by them in the office.

Great Compensation- Insane Stress

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsGreat compensation and generous owner. Good business growth. Love the owners and senior management.

ConsHorrible atmosphere. You can feel the stress when you enter the building. Many mid-managers along for the ride and not producing.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart reducing middle management. .Most of them are Fortune 500 flunk outs. There is a reason they got packages from former employers. The big acquisition never happened so you don't need them. Rank and file is extremely unhappy.

The worst place I have ever worked, stay away!!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pendleton, OR

ProsThe pay is fair for the area. Not great but ok. Lots and lots of overtime no matter if you want it or not. Did I mention the abundance of overtime? Good people for the most part at the hourly level. We had a good production superintendent but he left back in July or August of 2011.

ConsSafety is a joke to say the least. You get written up and your quarterly bonus taken away if you report something that needs to be address. We do these stupid SBA (Safety Behavior Audits) to make the plant manager feel good. The plant manager even nominated the plant for a safety award from Oregon and we got it. All the employees think it’s a joke because you will be terminated if you get hurt.

The management at the plant level is horrible. They run off all the good help. We had a production superintendent that was trying to get things turned around for the better. They didn’t give him any support and worked him until he left. He was putting in 14-16 hour days trying to help out. The employees really had a lot of respect for him because he worked with us and didn’t build up walls or levels of importance because we were just hourly workers. Once he left everything seemed to just fall apart and other managers left and after about 4 months we were left with nobody that knew anything. We have a lead in production that is the last person keeping things together.

You can’t trust anyone. The HR supervisor gets sucked into all the gossip and tells people personal things that shouldn’t be passed on. When you catch her in a lie she starts to cough and says she is having an allergic reaction to your deodorant, cologne, perfume, body wash, hair spray, whatever she can say to get you out of her office. She’s done this to me a few times.

Did I mention that we have a lot of overtime? The plant manager doesn’t work it but sure expects all of us to give up our families and lives outside of work and spend it all at CM.

A word to the wise, once the economy picks up and starts looking better, people will be lining up to leave this place. We need a workers union to protect us from these monsters. Stay away if you have any kind of life outside of work. Well, unless you are the plant manager. Then you can work 20-30 hours a week and pretend like you are the most important person in the place. Get real!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen your eyes and realize that the local management team is not getting the job done. Support the good people and keep them. Run the jerks that you have in there now out of town.

A great place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Tukwila, WA

ProsEmployees are valued and respected, and everyone is given an opportunity to contribute as much as they are willing and capable.

ConsThe organization has many employees and members of leadership on all levels that have had no professional experience outside of Continental Mills. Continental Mills employees are very protective of the CMI culture, and at times progress is inhibited as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership on all levels has a commitment to the development of its employees. Continue to make sure that employees feel valued and respected, as they always have.

Wizard of Oz

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Kent, WA

ProsBenefits, Compensation, Flexibility, Fairly Safe Work Environment

ConsWizard of Oz culture (don't look behind the curtain). Very stressful environment from a relationships perspective. Lots of back stabbing and talking behind peoples backs. Very little professionalism.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe emperor is naked...accept what you see before you as it is. There is the superficial message about culture and family and loyalty but beneath the surface there isn't any or very little of each of the these. Employees at all or most levels are saying one thing and doing another. They have little or no respect for there peers or managers or in some cases direct reports.

Great company.

Production Support (Former Employee) Hopkinsville, KY

ProsContinental Mills is fair. They pay a good wage, and they try to teach skills that will help you to be successful in the future. They reward hard workers, and the managers respect their production workers. Working in a factory is not expected to be fun, but Continental Mills does a good job to make it not incredibly painful. The facilities are air conditioned, and it is policy to move around and do different things during a shift. This keeps you from being too bored. Also they play the radio, and you are usually around people you can talk to to make the day go by. This is a great job, and you are respected, and rewarded for hard work.

ConsIf you work on the floor doing production work, it is dirty. However, it is air conditioned and fairly easy labor.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would keep up the good work. This has been my first real job, and I have been taken back by the commitment Senior Management has to their employees. This has been a great working experience.

Worked for Continental Mills? Contribute to the Community!