Continental Mills

John M Heily

1. Fantastic, family-owned and operated company with a great culture

Current Employee - Product Manager
    Current Employee - Product Manager

I have been working at Continental Mills full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance is great, people are engaged in their work and people are given a lot of ownership of their businesses; people don't take themselves too seriously and enjoy spending time with the people they work with.

Cons

There are a lot of meetings, as is the case in most companies. Sometimes there are meetings to have meetings to prepare for the next meetings.

Advice to Management

Preserve the culture and the things that make the company great even through rapid growth and transition; remain true to what has made the company successful and don't be distracted by new, shiny objects

2. Good Private Company

I worked at Continental Mills

Pros

The management seems to care for their employees and will try to support their development. The company offers flexibility in the scheduling.

Cons

There is limited opportunities for advancement. Company wants to grow, but may not have the funds to achieve major acquisitions.

Advice to Management

Maintain a healthy workplace to retain good employees

3. Good company with a culture dating way back.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tukwila, WA

I have been working at Continental Mills full-time

Pros

Pleasant people. Opportunites to give input and have considerable review. People focused.

Cons

"Culture" tends to slow progression. There's a large population of tenured people that have different views with a new workforce that is being hired, leading to tension between the "classic" way of thinking and new ideas.

Advice to Management

Be open to newer ideas and technology. Be flexible to a younger workforce (telecommuting, adaptation to technology like IM and productivity software).

Great place to work

I have been working at Continental Mills full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great wok life balance, a great place to learn and grow.

Cons

Decision makign takes a long time

Advice to Management

Listen to the people doing the work. They have good ideas

Strong Company...

I worked at Continental Mills full-time

Pros

Work/life balance...best I've experienced
    Company is on solid ground
    Good pay/benefits

Cons

No advancement opportunities.
    Slow moving on decision making by management
    There are "inner circles" in the company...if you are not part of them, you will know nothing. Being a manager does not automatically include you in the inner circles.

Be prepared to challenge yourself and others if you want to get anything accomplished.

I have been working at Continental Mills

Pros

Work life balance, great access to all facets of business, growing,constantly changing.

Cons

Minimal opportunities for advancement, upper management that has a hard time making decisions, takes forever to get anything done.

Advice to Management

Trust the employees you've hired to develop and drive the business of today and spend your time planning for the future.

Stagnant culture with weak leadership and lack of advancement opportunities

I have been working at Continental Mills full-time

Pros

Compensation and benefits package above market. Free coffee.

Cons

Passive aggressive culture with low threshold for those who deviate from the paternalistic, decision-by-committee ethos. Weak, complacent senior leadership team that lacks vision. Top heavy organization with no true leader.

Unfortunately, many of the people who work here don't like working here (or each other). Many are stuck - the compensation is too attractive to take a chance on the unknown in this economy. Those who appear to be happy here are in senior management or are well-liked by senior management, and have some level of authority (VPs and Directors, mostly). Bad behavior is tolerated at all levels. The company does not hold employees accountable for their behavior or performance so long as they tow the company "culture" line.

Very few opportunities for advancement exist among those in mid-management (managers, associates, specialists). As a result, different departments operate as mini-fiefdoms in order to compensate for lack of power or recognition. It is stressful and toxic - you are always looking over your shoulder in this mini-shark tank.

Many employees' career experience has only been at CMI; thus, no diversity of thought nor any degree of comfort with change. This is particularly true with manufacturing and the supply chain divisions.

On the positive side, the company offers free annual on-site health screenings, quarterly fitness reimbursement and company-sponsored events. Benefits and salary are above market. However, I'd trade in the free health screenings and company outings for more recognition and a more professional culture any day.

Advice to Management

Reevaluate the company's vision, culture and values, along with how they are expressed in the workplace. Are you really walking the walk? Create more accountability at all levels of the organization (yourselves included). Reward good work, not the squeakiest wheels. Provide opportunities for growth and advancement. Take the opportunity to engage outside expertise in leadership, mentoring, coaching to help your team and your subordinates grow. Show humility and be willing to learn from those people at the lowest levels of the organization, or at least learn their names. Or, at the very least, make eye contact with them when you pass by them in the office.

Great Compensation- Insane Stress

I worked at Continental Mills full-time

Pros

Great compensation and generous owner. Good business growth. Love the owners and senior management.

Cons

Horrible atmosphere. You can feel the stress when you enter the building. Many mid-managers along for the ride and not producing.

Advice to Management

Start reducing middle management. .Most of them are Fortune 500 flunk outs. There is a reason they got packages from former employers. The big acquisition never happened so you don't need them. Rank and file is extremely unhappy.

The worst place I have ever worked, stay away!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pendleton, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pendleton, OR

I have been working at Continental Mills

Pros

The pay is fair for the area. Not great but ok. Lots and lots of overtime no matter if you want it or not. Did I mention the abundance of overtime? Good people for the most part at the hourly level. We had a good production superintendent but he left back in July or August of 2011.

Cons

Safety is a joke to say the least. You get written up and your quarterly bonus taken away if you report something that needs to be address. We do these stupid SBA (Safety Behavior Audits) to make the plant manager feel good. The plant manager even nominated the plant for a safety award from Oregon and we got it. All the employees think it’s a joke because you will be terminated if you get hurt.

The management at the plant level is horrible. They run off all the good help. We had a production superintendent that was trying to get things turned around for the better. They didn’t give him any support and worked him until he left. He was putting in 14-16 hour days trying to help out. The employees really had a lot of respect for him because he worked with us and didn’t build up walls or levels of importance because we were just hourly workers. Once he left everything seemed to just fall apart and other managers left and after about 4 months we were left with nobody that knew anything. We have a lead in production that is the last person keeping things together.

You can’t trust anyone. The HR supervisor gets sucked into all the gossip and tells people personal things that shouldn’t be passed on. When you catch her in a lie she starts to cough and says she is having an allergic reaction to your deodorant, cologne, perfume, body wash, hair spray, whatever she can say to get you out of her office. She’s done this to me a few times.

Did I mention that we have a lot of overtime? The plant manager doesn’t work it but sure expects all of us to give up our families and lives outside of work and spend it all at CM.

A word to the wise, once the economy picks up and starts looking better, people will be lining up to leave this place. We need a workers union to protect us from these monsters. Stay away if you have any kind of life outside of work. Well, unless you are the plant manager. Then you can work 20-30 hours a week and pretend like you are the most important person in the place. Get real!!!

Advice to Management

Open your eyes and realize that the local management team is not getting the job done. Support the good people and keep them. Run the jerks that you have in there now out of town.

A great place to work

I worked at Continental Mills

Pros

Employees are valued and respected, and everyone is given an opportunity to contribute as much as they are willing and capable.

Cons

The organization has many employees and members of leadership on all levels that have had no professional experience outside of Continental Mills. Continental Mills employees are very protective of the CMI culture, and at times progress is inhibited as a result.

Advice to Management

Leadership on all levels has a commitment to the development of its employees. Continue to make sure that employees feel valued and respected, as they always have.