Continental

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
3.8

Elmar Degenhart

Pros
  • Great work life balance - People know when to get things done and when to go back home (in 21 reviews)

• Compensation, work environment, freedom, flexibility, and opportunity for advancement (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-Life balance is good only in certain (very few) departments (in 6 reviews)

• can be close to the car automotive industry (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Lots of Unrealized Potential

Current Employee - Production Support in Fletcher, NC
    Current Employee - Production Support in Fletcher, NC

I have been working at Continental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

For Professionals - Salary, Holiday, Vacation, genuinely good people
    For the plant - continued growth of new products - stability in an automotive market.

Cons

This plant makes brake calipers and is headquartered in Frankfurt Germany, so Germany calls the shots - lots of lipstick put on a pig to make it look good but not function better.

For professionals - long hours, too many projects, tight deadlines, few growth opportunities

For the plant - 12 hr shifts - repetitive motion, lifting heavy castings all day, little training and high expectations on quality on unstable processes

MicroManagement

Focus on the vital few improvements and get them done right the first time - then on to the next
    Train your people so they can succeed
    Live your values
    Stop the MicoManagement

Poor quality

Former Employee - Assembler in Fletcher, NC
    Former Employee - Assembler in Fletcher, NC

I worked at Continental

Pros

Pretty good benefits, pay was ok, 12 hour shifts were so much better than 8s, easy work

Cons

A lot of overtime when on 8 hour shifts, they will use you to do a job above your pay without paying you that rate or promoting you. Cliquey high school culture, get in with the right people. They claim quality is their biggest concern, especially in front of the Germans, but it's just smoke. Present a problem, they say they will work on it but eventually it gets passed on as a good part

Systems Engineer

I have been working at Continental

Pros

Good salary, flexible work schedule, few people are good to work with, good bonus. 20% good and 80% not good.

Cons

Poor management, heavy work load, no help for people under Visa and who needs GC. They will make you stay with the company forever(basically make you stuck with no choice) if they hold your visa/GC process. Management doesn't recognize hard working people. It's all politics inside the company and HR department will make sure that the employee is not happy.

Management should seriously concentrate and recognize on people who has real talent and are hard working.

Fed us a line of BS

Former Employee - Assembly Technician in Elma, NY
    Former Employee - Assembly Technician in Elma, NY

I worked at Continental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Their decisions cost them 100's of millions more than anticipated.

Cons

After the Motorola Takeover, they came and assured us that we were doing an excellent job and that there were no plans concerning any changes. Four months later, they announced the plant shutdown. When you go for the cheapest worker, you get a similar result.

Their CEO said that the addition of the Motorola automotive group would not result in job losses or reductions. I guess that means when you lay-off some and then rehire in another country... it's all a wash. They tried to save a dime and it cost them a buck.

They dismantled the facility in NY that consisted of a newer plant and an educated non-union workforce that was among industry leaders in delivery and quality. Lines were sent around the world and it has been nothing but trouble for them ever since. Some of those lines had to be returned to the states due to production obstacles they couldn't overcome offshore.

It will take years and years for them to just break even let alone be profitable on such a dismal decision. Good job boys....

You get what you pay for

The best of the worst or worst of the best.

Former Employee - Technician in Huntsville, AL
    Former Employee - Technician in Huntsville, AL

I worked at Continental full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, awesome job function, very interesting work, felt like what you did really mattered.

Cons

The most bizarre work environment I've ever witnessed, 3 different groups of workers covered by 3 different contracts, union officials only looking out for the "old" regime and screw the rest. Got bilked out of a buyout by the union and company. Definitely learned not to trust either party. Typical union BS, they stick their necks out for the troublemakers, the cons, the useless people and then screw anyone else who they don't have to come bail out every other day.

Good thing you SOB's shut our location down and moved all those jobs to Mexico. One thing really important I learned is that I'll never ever support your business by buying a vehicle that has parts Continental manufactured at all, this means anything from Detroit, especially GM or Chrysler and even more especially since they received a government bailout and me and 198 other workers only got layed off. Thanks a lot.....

review

Current Employee - Layout Designer in Timişoara (Romania)
    Current Employee - Layout Designer in Timişoara (Romania)

I have been working at Continental full-time (more than a year)

Pros

segmented work, flexible shifts, salary bonus, healthy packages

Cons

small workload, big breaks, not a central location

keep it up

Screwed My career by Trusting them

Former Contractor - Senior Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Contractor - Senior Engineer in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Continental as a contractor

Pros

You will get free diner and taxi fare if you stay late, as most of manager will have dinner in office so you can also join them.

Cons

- Poor Management, Micro management, Manager will stab on your back.
    - Trusted them and joined them leaving one of the Biggest software Services MNC, Now regimenting why I made such a bad decision to join them. They offered me consultant role for 1 year + extension, within 6 month, asked me to go as company was not doing good, and they are planning to minimize BU operation, guss what? Hire more people and finish work.
    - If Management cannot foresee whats there for next 6 months, then what kind of management it is. Giving excuses that cannot sustain consultants, and we are taking out all the consultants.

- They just want work done, once used throw the resource, Hiring 100+ engineers for 2 years, then you can imagine their plans.

- It is good for people who are from very small company, not for people from big MNC.
    - Anyone working in Big MNC in india, beware of their traps. Once you are here, your career finished.
    - Consultants are not allowed in Team Outing,

- Stop hiring stupid managers, find real managers who can manage and take responsibility.
    Because of these managers you Infotainment & Connectivity (IC - division) BU , is ramping down in singapore

old fashioned structure and management. Still stuck in the 80s of manufacturing

I have been working at Continental full-time

Pros

9-5 job. low stress. nice colleagues

Cons

no opportunity for growth.
    management style is very old fashioned. your capabilities doesn't matter. Its how long you've been with the company that matters.

Disfunctional

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deer Park, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Deer Park, IL

I worked at Continental

Pros

building/campus; on site fitness center; decent pay; global experience

Cons

lack of trust among local employees, managers and with German collegues; high disfunction in some groups; expectation to work during vacation and time off -- Europe employees not expected to; key development work moving to Germany; building only half full with no solid plan to grow business; there has been high turn over in the human resource group over the last few years...due to HR leader of operational leader(s)?

Conti is not for me anymore

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer

I have been working at Continental

Pros

The engineers and lower management are great but the upper management in Engine Systems NAFTA are a bunch of buffoons and are in the process of losing most NAFTA business.

Cons

Base design is in Germany and France and they do not want to give it up.

Low Cost or Right Cost engineering as you call it now because you believe USA engineers make too much money is NOT the future if you want to keep customers in the USA.