Continental Secret Service Bureau

Updated January 16, 2015
Updated January 16, 2015
2.1

Scott P. Wunder

Company has potential but needs change

Former Employee - Security Guard
    Former Employee - Security Guard

I worked at Continental Secret Service Bureau full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-24 hour dispatch

Great resource. Any questions or concerns at all they are there to help you on it.

-Management/Communication

Like any company good and bad I'm sure but my experiences was mostly good with them. Anytime I called my boss he was right there and anytime I needed to call an even higher boss he was right there to hear me out and see what can be done. If they needed you know something rather, they'd get it right to you as well. This was a big positive and something that isn't present in many companies out there

-Willing to give lots of full-time work

Not common in this economy, self-explanatory.

-Alot of varied opportunities in the company

unarmed, armed, at one post, at many, kind of just how you make it over time. All about building connections and letting it be known what your goals are which continental will actually take the time to listen too.

-Chances for advancement (not a pro, more of a neutral point)

Many of the higher up people seemed to start at the bottom and move their way up. In alot of companies out there you just don't see that often and that makes it real admirable on Continental's end. However with that said, the noticeable flaw with this is it seems to be people who live up close to headquarters that succeed on and the many, many people away from Toledo don't go places, just advance in their site and...that's it. With advancement there should be an equal feel to it and while easy advancement clearly exist in the company it doesn't feel evenly distributed, more biased like if you will.

Cons

-Some sites (not necessarily controllable by continental itself but still a serious consideration)

No accessible bathroom(yes just got to hold it and suffer for a long time sometimes..good luck), bad clients that just do treat you and other guards like absolute dirt(mine was berating guards near daily) and situations that just generally feel unwinnable after awhile, again this doesn't apply to all sites through company but some real specific ones

-Pay

Varies site to site but some just need more if you want to keep employees, I'd particularly raise the ones that see the highest turnover, try something more long term worthy like 12.00 not 9.50 and watch employees finally stay in the company and the turnover greatly lessen. Budget wise it might be tough but it'd be worth it in the long term as you'd stop continually(sometimes weekly in the same sites) re-commiting resources for more hiring/fill-in and frustrating the moral of the guards currently present at the site who come to feel something is not worth it as it just continually becomes a revolving door site.

- Needing time away/vacation

Felt near impossible as you have few guards at your post and Continental gets seemingly angry when you turn them about it, sometimes people need time away for whatever reason, needs better taken care of

-Little Home-life/Dispatch bombardment

Just worked a long hard week and looking forward to that time off? *Ring-ring* ohhh...noo...dispatch...AGAIN?!. Yep what you know...you need to go back in tomorrow yet again or we'll be angry with you. ...How about just finding some more regular fill-in guys so you don't feel so pressured/paranoid when you actually are off? The job shouldn't feel like an entire lifestyle you just unknowingly signed into(which I'd argue is one of the biggest turn over problems in places), it afterall...is just a job to people. You're not something like a police-officer, fireman, ems, soldier so forth...your a private security guard, for the most part just another regular worker, learn to treat it like that. As such too(like expected with any job you sign on to) you should have time to work and then be done if you feel like it. Everyone needs to recharge in peace sometimes or attend other priorities particularly those with families outside of work

As stated above, the company has some good potential but it's also flawed and needing serious change. Many of these concern/problems mentioned above were repeated again and again by guards. When something becomes a common pattern, it becomes clear a better solution needs sought with it, aleast if you plan to advance to a better position in the business world. It's understandable a company can't change everything(budget limits, available resources etc) but at the very least they can certainly become long-term goals. Change these common complaints and this company could well take on the 'big(er) boys' out there in the security relm. Which is diffienitly possible as it seems to be already breaking the mold slowly from the common problem of the others out there, it just needs a bigger push to get it all done.

A company I thought I could trust..but i was set up to be terminated!

Former Employee - Site Supervisor in Avon, OH
    Former Employee - Site Supervisor in Avon, OH

I worked at Continental Secret Service Bureau full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I worked for Continental secret service for 16 months.... I loved the post I worked at and all the people there & I will miss them!

Cons

as far as the company goes, when you don't do what they want you to do, they are quick to *bark at you*. they don't care about performance or.how their fellow officers show up with no shaves, haircuts, ear rings, tongue rings, visible tattoos, red shoes, etc. this company had lied to me, had me working in a hostile environment, paid me $8.50 an hour as a *site supervisor*, never return calls or texts messages (had an excuse as to why they didn't) and the list goes on and on.

Stop reprimanding the good officers and rewarding the lazy ones!

Very sneaky- low pay - unorganized -no respect = The worst company I ever worked for!

Former Employee - Security Guard/Site Supervisor in Avon, OH
    Former Employee - Security Guard/Site Supervisor in Avon, OH

I worked at Continental Secret Service Bureau full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I loved the site I was posted at...will miss that crew terribly!

Cons

as far as it goes with this company, they did me DIRTY on how they terminated me. I worked for this company for nearly a yr until I got promoted as S/S and got paid peanuts for the type of work that was involved. I never missed a day, nor did I ever call off, nor was I ever late. I did what was expected of me and then some, UP until that meeting that had occurred on 01/08 at 11:30 am. Something wasn't quite right about this meeting without me being present. When HR and the Operation Manager had arrived once the meeting had ended...I had this feeling something was up! According to HR and the OM, the meeting was about the new schedule and what concerns everyone had about what? on how I ran things? or what? I was informed by HR that I was being to *Harsh* to the guards, and the *entire log book* that I had written in was photo copied by a guard and submitted to HR for review. I asked who was the guard that submitted this....HR stated, it wasn't my concern? I than made the statement that I took it I was doing a pretty good job handling things and how smooth things were going...HR and OM both looked at each other and chuckled! I than knew something wasn't right. but to make the long story short....I worked the rest of the week, did payroll (nothing was said, nor did I get a call from anyone...sent multiple texts messages to the OM...no reply..sent a few e-mails to HR regarding my new schedule..no reply. I than blew it off, went to work on Saturday, seen the main gate wide opened, sent a text to the OM, got no reply until a few hrs later, worked my shift, still no call or text. Then on Sunday, I again sent a text to the OM asking why I haven't received my new schedule...no reply. I than sent him a text advising him I will be there on Monday to work if I'm told otherwise....BAM! I call a from Dispatch advising me not to go into work BUT to call HR! I than contacted HR, and she informed me I was terminated with 3 write ups? The first write was a no show (but I offered my help to train a guard how to patrol our site, but with the frigid weather, I called another guard to help me out, and I never received a call from him nor from the site. the other 2 write ups were for insubordination. HR had called me twice on Friday around 2pm (which is my busiest time of the day, to discuss my first write up....I had informed her I was very busy, and I was trying to train another guy, so I ended the call. HR again called me for the same thing, which the guard overheard the conversation, and I told me HR and I ended the call again. It wasn't done intentionally on my end, it was done intentionally on HR end. They wanted me gone for months. They were very dirty and sneaky about it. P.S. the guard I was training, overheard the conversation and informed me how rude and inconsiderate HR was to me.

I know this is family owned, but try learning how to manage your employees and stop reprimanding the good officers and rewarding the lazy ones!

could be better....

I have been working at Continental Secret Service Bureau

Pros

I worked for Continental secret service for a little over a year.... I loved the post I worked and all the people there.. as far as the company goes, when you don't do what they want you to do, they are quick to take your days away and make you pay for not doing what they want. they don't care about performance or if you cover your own schedule, they only care if you do what they want, stay as long as they want or go wherever they want whenever they ask. and if you don't, say goodbye to your scheduled days. I stayed at that company for the as long as I did because I really enjoyed the job... it saddens me when I had to leave because I couldn't put up with the an organisation and the favoritism in this company. management screws up and all the guards pay for it.

Cons

terrible management, favoritism from management...

stop screwing over your good guards!

Operations Coordinator

Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Coordinator in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Continental Secret Service Bureau full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been working at Continental for about two years. I worked my butt off, sometimes doing sixty or seventy hour weeks. If you working hard they will notice, the same goes if you're lazy. I think this is a great company for the people that want to make this company better and be a part of something. I went from third shift security guard to one of the best sites we have, at that time I than got promoted to Operations Coordinator. There is room for advancement in this company, you just have to work hard everyday.

Cons

Wish I had more guards that have the "can do attitude" and have a positive work influence.

Keep working hard everyday!

Ok for a short time job...but management is really very bad.

Current Employee - I Found This Job On A Craigslist Ad Need I Say More?
    Current Employee - I Found This Job On A Craigslist Ad Need I Say More?

I have been working at Continental Secret Service Bureau full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's a job and not hard to get hired if you have a clean background and drugscreen. As an unarmed officer, I found the job sites to be very easy to patrol for the most part. Uniforms are generally nice. Fellow officers are mostly friendly.

Cons

Poorly managed. Leadership at this company is really very bad from the president on down to dispatchers and field supervisors. I have been purposly mislead, lied to, cheated, and decieved. I have only been working at this company for a several months. Uniforms are provided with a fee of around $100 deducted from your paycheck at $25 per month with a promise to return the money after employment ends. Also had to pay $100 @ $25 per month for security check. At less then $10 per hour without exception on every site worked it is a high price to pay. There is no training involved or offered at this company. They boast aboout advancment opportunity but the people who manage to advance are all overworked, unhappy, uncommunicative and ineffective in short order. Fellow officers are nice, but many are sloppy, not dependable. The company claims to have a military appearance, but people show up with no shaves, haircuts, ear rings, tongue rings, visable tattoos, red shoes, etc. They rarely write people up because for the most part of a warm body is at the site they are lucky ahd happy to have them in place. I have been posted at many locations and told to wait on site, sometimes for 6 or more hours while they try to find a replacement for someone who quits or just decides not to show up. There is no thanks or benefit to being a team player in this organization. You get your paycheck...that's all. As a matter of fact, if you are a team player and answer your phone when they call you for extra hours when somebody doesn't show for work, you are berated for trying to have a life outside of work and only wanting to work 50 hours a week. I was told I would work about 30 hours a week when I started...that has rarely been the case....I almost always work at least 40. Each site has its' own pay schedule as well so you never really know if you are working for 8 or 9 dollars or less an hour. They just don't know when they call you most of the time. If you want a job to hold you over for a short time its fine...I am leaving the company in a couple weeks. Good luck.

Treat your employees like the investment they are and you will keep them longer.

Poor Compensation and Underhanded Tactics.

Current Employee - Security Guard in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Security Guard in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Continental Secret Service Bureau full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nice hours when they give them to you. And decent insurance.

Cons

When you speak up or have a negative problem such as going above and beyond for a client you get disciplined heavily. To the the point where you in limbo for hours even with little to no pay. This coming from a current guard who is in such a situation. And has been promised a job as a cover or floater and in end was denied due to a screw up on a client contract.

Less Cherry Picking of Brown nosers and more picking of actual guards who know what there doing and willing to work the time instead of these people who will stroke your egos.

Very unstable and disorganized company

Former Employee - Security Officer
    Former Employee - Security Officer

I worked at Continental Secret Service Bureau full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The work is very easy coworkers are great. No experiene needed.

Cons

Hours are unstable, very high turnaround of employees, management is not available, overtime with no advanced notice, management is unappreciative and over zealous. This is the most unorganized company I haver ever worked for, the lack of planning is a shameful disgrace.

Start planning for events you know will happen, such as employees walking off the job and unscheduled call offs. Don't put the responsibility of these events on employees who are already on the brink of walking away from the job. Please communicate and support your employees, don't use them until they are burned out and then fire them for sleeping.

Absolutely terrible

Former Employee - Security Guard in Dearborn, MI
    Former Employee - Security Guard in Dearborn, MI

I worked at Continental Secret Service Bureau full-time (less than a year)

Pros

They offer benefits... at least they claim to. Not many stick around to take advantage of it.

Cons

Every security job is unstable so I'm used to it but this company is THE WORSE that I've ever seen. Guards aren't being relieved punctually and mostly because management will pull one from one site to place them at another and never bother to replace them at the original site. The existing officers will work about 16 hours (12 if they are lucky) with NO notice. But it could be argued that it's with every security job. Okay. They advertise "room for advancement. " To what exactly? Supervisor? Mine was hired in after me and had NO prior security experience. NONE! But how much do you need to do security? I'd expect more than me though. I have over six years ARMED experience and he hasn't even had that many years working. Period. My hours were being reduced monthly because "nothing is yet available" bit check Craigslist. They're always hiring! Guards are often caught sleeping or even having relations on the job and they are still employed. Myself? A former military with my experience and always punctual with no call offs couldn't even get 32 hours a week after patiently waiting over 6 months. Yeah... what advancement?
    I took an offer with another company making a lot more as a supervisor so if you're reading this and have prior experience trust me! You can find better!

Let's communicate with your employees. If they aren't happy then you'll be stuck with sloppy, disgruntled, sloppy, lazy guards that lack any and all motivation to continue to be assets to your company. I don't think you need to lose any accounts because someone walked off the job (again) because the lack of communication was the last straw for that guard.

Great Company to work for!

Current Employee - Security Officer in Toledo, OH
    Current Employee - Security Officer in Toledo, OH

I have been working at Continental Secret Service Bureau (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very Family oriented, I love meeting new people and getting paid for it!!! IF I need something they are there for me! I don't see myself leaving the company!!

Cons

I don't like working the weekends, but I manage!

Keep up the good work!