Continuum

Updated September 10, 2014
2.7

Gianfranco Zaccai

Great people

I have been working at Continuum

Pros

Great group of people and diversity of project types. I've worked for a few different consultancies in my career. They all have their unique dynamics and challenges but by far Continuum has the best balance of passionate people and great clients.

Cons

We've gone though a few reorganizations in the past few years which can be difficult for people. But overall, the company is moving in the right direction.

Continue to find ways to create strong connections between our people and the company

Wonderful team, structural challenges

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Continuum full-time

Pros

Smart people, good work, intellectually challenging. The culture has been open, supportive, challenging (in a good way).

Cons

Conservative management, increasingly political. It feels like the company is spending a lot of energy on retrospective thinking, not focusing on how to build the future.

Design Thinking Research

I have been working at Continuum full-time

Pros

Design Thinking seems to have a second pair of legs. People considering joining our firm need to get their expectations in order. Continuum is not a design nor a strategy firm. The pilar of what we do is Design Thinking research. We go out. We interview. We re-frame questions. We take ideas and put the into a incredible deck. All results start and end with design thinking, for better or worse. There are still companies willing to take a leap of creativity and pay outrageous amounts for a methodology that is pretty much part of the creative commons. If you like that, you'll like the work.

Cons

We're having a hard time finding talent. There are so many other firms that seem to grab that "top candidate." Many new hires are boomerangs. Business strategists have left the building but their interaction with our design strategists was valued by our clients. We don't have the capability anymore. As my Italian colleagues say on a bad day: c'e una maledizione su quest diabolo (this place is cursed).

Share details about Asia (Korea and China). Are they really the next group to get structural changes?

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Employee Engagement

I have been working at Continuum full-time

Pros

Open culture to express opinions and approach new ideas. Ever since we went big on employee engagement for our clients our internal teams have started to post on Glassdoor. A great example of a great culture.

Cons

Because the work is interesting and the clients are amazed by us we tend not to stretch and the legacy tightens. Diversity of projects is not a reason to join or stay at a firm. I stay because I'm waiting for the acquisition to get my equity sharing.

Keep up the engagement and conversation. Thank you for sharing financial and being open. Thank you for being honest.

Amazing Experience

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  West Newton, MA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in West Newton, MA

I worked at Continuum as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I have had multiple internships ranging from small to large companies. Continuum has continued to stand out as the best experience. Not only did I learn in my field, but I also learned more about electrical engineering and business. The people are always friendly and extremely competent. The work they do is really groundbreaking and helps the world. I have found no other place with the same quality of drive and mission.

Cons

My experience was largely isolated to the engineering group - I can't speak much about the rest of the company.
    Also, the location leaves something to be desired. It's outside of Boston and takes a while to get there by bus from the city.

Keep it up!

Three Designers Walk Into a Bar

Current Employee - Service Design  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Service Design in Boston, MA

I have been working at Continuum full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Recruiters respect the talent
    - Open studio, many hidden project rooms to "disappear & crank"
    - Nice colleagues
    - No real review cycle (you can fly under radar)

Cons

- Program and proposal writers get commission checks; practitioners rarely do
    - New and odd relationship between business and practice teams
    - Brand and digital talent is rough shape

Do you really know what happens in the project rooms? You'd be surprised. The three business unit meetings are overkill.

Design Firm

Current Employee - Former Employee  in  West Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Former Employee in West Newton, MA

I have been working at Continuum full-time

Pros

- Concentrated blast of learning and skill building
    - International projects
    - Retail design and Asia projects

Cons

So many of these reviews walk around what is going on:

- privately held (fear of sale)
    - CEO left (confusion)
    - compensation goes to team's submitting RFP proposals NOT practitioners (resentment)
    - everybody smiles but everybody is fearful (fear)

Get some dough so you can keep up with salaries, investments in technology, etc.

Studio Magic

Current Employee - Senior Design Strategist I  in  West Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Design Strategist I in West Newton, MA

I have been working at Continuum full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Open office space. The project teams. The client solutions. Many move on to client teams. International assignments have been great.

Cons

The company's newest leader and business unit managers are learning as they go forward but void of the subtleties and distinctions of management. I get where we're going but how will the new structure be all that different for the teams? It is good to have a fresh perspective but to wing it and rely on old business school class cases seems odd for an innovation firm. Didn't we help them figure out their path?

Define the design future, what is the vision? Seems like we deal with lots of operations and mechanics. Need training for project management, presentation and interviewing skills. Flying coach around the global is tough!

Another Tough Month

Current Employee - Engineer  in  West Newton, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in West Newton, MA

I have been working at Continuum full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

We're excited about the work but bogged down in the leadership issues. Great studio. Tons of helpful interns. Teammates at the end of a week.

Cons

Cliché: organization is now full of politically oriented mediocre types. Not cliché: Advance Systems is frozen in time. Scared to step out into the bigger world. Yet, the Strategy Practice practitioners openly question the abilities of their own Service Design leader. Very well liked but jumping from misguided direction running after the next sparkly area of service design: Change management and organizational consultants? Does RISD, Northeastern and Art Center have training in that area?

Can we beat the other more established firms in the management consulting space? If so, how?

Fantastic Place to Grow

Former Employee - Senior Designer  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Designer in Boston, MA

I worked at Continuum full-time

Pros

Continuum is one of those places that will help to shape you for amazing future career opportunities and will challenge you to grow - a great spring board. I couldn't be where I am today without my experiences here.
    The perks:
    - Smart, talented, good people
    - Great work/life balance
    - Interesting projects
    - Transparent organization - share financials and state-of-the-business monthly

Cons

- Despite effort and successes, it is difficult to be recognized and advance within the organization.
    - The compensation is flat. Don't expect much growth there.
    - The culture is very "nice" with an aversion to conflict. Not a lot of direct feedback and/or tough conversations when they're needed. Little accountability with follow through.

Worked for Continuum? Contribute to the Community!