Continuum

Add Photos

Gianfranco Zaccai

Amazing Experience

Software Engineer (Former Employee) West Newton, MA

ProsI have had multiple internships ranging from small to large companies. Continuum has continued to stand out as the best experience. Not only did I learn in my field, but I also learned more about electrical engineering and business. The people are always friendly and extremely competent. The work they do is really groundbreaking and helps the world. I have found no other place with the same quality of drive and mission.

ConsMy experience was largely isolated to the engineering group - I can't speak much about the rest of the company.
    Also, the location leaves something to be desired. It's outside of Boston and takes a while to get there by bus from the city.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Three Designers Walk Into a Bar

Service Design (Current Employee) Boston, MA

Pros- Recruiters respect the talent
    - Open studio, many hidden project rooms to "disappear & crank"
    - Nice colleagues
    - No real review cycle (you can fly under radar)

Cons- Program and proposal writers get commission checks; practitioners rarely do
    - New and odd relationship between business and practice teams
    - Brand and digital talent is rough shape

Advice to Senior ManagementDo you really know what happens in the project rooms? You'd be surprised. The three business unit meetings are overkill.

Design Firm

Former Employee (Current Employee) West Newton, MA

Pros- Concentrated blast of learning and skill building
    - International projects
    - Retail design and Asia projects

ConsSo many of these reviews walk around what is going on:

- privately held (fear of sale)
    - CEO left (confusion)
    - compensation goes to team's submitting RFP proposals NOT practitioners (resentment)
    - everybody smiles but everybody is fearful (fear)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet some dough so you can keep up with salaries, investments in technology, etc.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Studio Magic

Senior Design Strategist I (Current Employee) West Newton, MA

ProsOpen office space. The project teams. The client solutions. Many move on to client teams. International assignments have been great.

ConsThe company's newest leader and business unit managers are learning as they go forward but void of the subtleties and distinctions of management. I get where we're going but how will the new structure be all that different for the teams? It is good to have a fresh perspective but to wing it and rely on old business school class cases seems odd for an innovation firm. Didn't we help them figure out their path?

Advice to Senior ManagementDefine the design future, what is the vision? Seems like we deal with lots of operations and mechanics. Need training for project management, presentation and interviewing skills. Flying coach around the global is tough!

Another Tough Month

Engineer (Current Employee) West Newton, MA

ProsWe're excited about the work but bogged down in the leadership issues. Great studio. Tons of helpful interns. Teammates at the end of a week.

ConsCliché: organization is now full of politically oriented mediocre types. Not cliché: Advance Systems is frozen in time. Scared to step out into the bigger world. Yet, the Strategy Practice practitioners openly question the abilities of their own Service Design leader. Very well liked but jumping from misguided direction running after the next sparkly area of service design: Change management and organizational consultants? Does RISD, Northeastern and Art Center have training in that area?

Advice to Senior ManagementCan we beat the other more established firms in the management consulting space? If so, how?

Fantastic Place to Grow

Senior Designer (Former Employee) Boston, MA

ProsContinuum is one of those places that will help to shape you for amazing future career opportunities and will challenge you to grow - a great spring board. I couldn't be where I am today without my experiences here.
    The perks:
    - Smart, talented, good people
    - Great work/life balance
    - Interesting projects
    - Transparent organization - share financials and state-of-the-business monthly

Cons- Despite effort and successes, it is difficult to be recognized and advance within the organization.
    - The compensation is flat. Don't expect much growth there.
    - The culture is very "nice" with an aversion to conflict. Not a lot of direct feedback and/or tough conversations when they're needed. Little accountability with follow through.

Boutique Designers

Designer (Current Employee) West Newton, MA

ProsAmazing teams. Great project work. Lifestyle company for respected owner and managers but *also* for designers so alternative schedules, no long hours or expectation to travel. 30 year track record isn't bad. Shanghai studio expanding. Great new focus on retail stores, service design, customer service and interior design (but business strategists, human factors engineers and illustrators keep leaving. Bummer). Italian family business means great culture and design approach. Great new focus on project management skills.

ConsLots of turn over at the top. Bummer. Yet, no advancement. Bummer. The best talent seems to move on. Bummer. LA office has lost a lot of good people, with studio closed for "remodeling." NYC after many years can't seemed to win projects and so other design firms don't take us seriously in Big Apple. Why no transfers to NYC? New San Francisco play seems exciting but odd decision after closing it years ago. The place to be: Milan or Shanghai. Low pay compared to classmates at similar firms.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigh level of turn over is tough on staff. Clarify the mission: investors, sale, expansion in Frisco, new types of projects (please), service design only? MedTech going to morph? Is equity for staff too? Consider it? Keep up the great work with design excellence but even after reorg, please clarify a vision.

Controlled Chaos

Design Consultant (Former Employee) West Newton, MA

ProsNice place to work and nice people to work with. There is opportunity to contribute across projects and disciplines if you're motivated to do so and can gain trust in different groups.

ConsProjects leads often must compete for resources because team members work on multiple projects with overlapping time lines.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay closer attention to workloads and schedule conflicts and bring in help before staff members get too overloaded.

Great work in spite of management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) West Newton, MA

ProsGreat work done by incredibly talented people. I was always proud to talk about the awesome work being done in all the locations. The company culture was always collaborative among all the people.

ConsManagement has lost sight of it's employees and culture. They talk about being open and having great communication but the backlash for those who did speak up showed that they really didn't want people to have an opinion.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your roots and what made Continuum so successful in the past. Listen to your long term employees. Historical knowledge is important.

Amazing company gone wrong

Management (Current Employee) West Newton, MA

ProsDiverse, passionate staff
    Diverse, interesting work

ConsNew management is clueless; nepotism at the top; if you're italian, you got it made.
    Mgmt motto: do as I say, not as I do.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet your head out of the sand

Worked for Continuum? Contribute to the Community!