Contra Costa County - California

Updated December 16, 2014
Updated December 16, 2014
2.8

CEO

My department is not the greatest, although I know of a couple of departments that are good.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Martinez, CA

I have been working at Contra Costa County - California full-time

Pros

If you can pass your 9-month probation period, you are in for life unless you do something pretty reprehensible.
    If you first get in on a seasonal-temporary basis, you can advance to some department-specific permanent jobs without ever needing to take a civil service test.
    Good pay for a job that doesn't require any higher education.
    Steady work year-round; no overtime in my department.

Cons

First-level managers play favorites. (Not aware of whether senior management does or not.)
    A significant number of clique-y employees.
    I have not seen any objective performance evaluation criteria.
    Initial job training is almost completely done through oral instruction. Little to no written training materials.
    Having to work with coworkers who hate their jobs.
    A difficult place to work if you show initiative and a dedication to excel.

Acquire and practice professional management policies.
    Don't play favorites. Treat everybody equally.
    Develop and maintain written training and reference materials specific to department practices.
    Create objective performance evaluation criteria. Distribute those criteria to everybody. Apply them equally to all employees.

deteriorating physician quality

I have been working at Contra Costa County - California

Pros

Hard working dedicated physicians

Cons

Losing the best and brightest

LISTEN to Physicisns with a few gray hairs. Do not force them out because they disagree with current incompetent administration policies

Great place if you want a forever job without advancement.

Former Employee - Clerk Senior Level in Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Clerk Senior Level in Martinez, CA

I worked at Contra Costa County - California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good pay, benifits, secure job great for someone who dosent get bored and wants somewhere to work till they retire.

Cons

Hard to get promoted. Education and career growth is not ecourage and in some positions impossible to move up!

Most of reviews about the Contra Costa County here are accurate

I have been working at Contra Costa County - California full-time

Pros

OK salaries. But not great compared to other counties. great people to work with. Some managers are good. Others not so good. Laid back work environment. Senior management has been there forever and can't/won't change their ways of doing business. Overall, an OK place to work.

Cons

Highly unionized, but unions do a poor job negotiating wages/benefits. Nepotism runs rampant (parents, cousins, children working in the same department. Unheard of in other places). Senior management is closed minded and old school. Senior managers or elected officer act as in an old boys club. Little diversity in higher positions. BAD benefits compared to other counties and private sector.

Promote people who are skilled. Stop rehiring retired senior managers as part timers. There are many other competent people who are more efficient and tech savvy; and can fill in as senior managers. Revise your office policies from the 70's/80's. Pay getter wages/salaries to stop the outflow of qualified people to other counties.

Ancient technology

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Martinez, CA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Martinez, CA

I have been working at Contra Costa County - California as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Hourly rate on contract was good.

Cons

Ancient technology using Digital Equip VMS/VAX.

Insist that procedures be documented instead of "just gotta know".

Great place to work!

Current Employee - IT Manager in Martinez, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Martinez, CA

I have been working at Contra Costa County - California as a contractor (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great place to work good work-life balance

Cons

The pay is always a challenge

More money is needed to retain quality people

SET program best in County

Former Employee - Human Resources SET Program Administrative Assistant in Martinez, CA

I worked at Contra Costa County - California as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The HR training I received here will benefit me and last my lifetime. This was truly one of my favorite and most rewarding jobs.

Cons

The worst part of working her is that it was temporary and I was unable to become employed on a permanent basis.

My advice is for management to keep Managers like Rebecca Darnell. She was awesome to work for, loved what she did and made sure her people were rewarded for their services.

satisfied

I have been working at Contra Costa County - California full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

I'm grateful to have a job!

Cons

I don't have any complaints right now!

Good for Temporary Job

Former Employee - Supervisor in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Concord, CA

I worked at Contra Costa County - California full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You get what you need to do your job in terms of training or supplies. Nice office environment.

Cons

Managers did not understand how to manage a department or business. They lacked the skills to provide leadership. Managers started and participated in gossip.

Remember you are a leader. If you expect a certain behavior, you should also do the same. Stop showing favoritism, it destroys team building.

Stay away from them at all cost for the next couple of years!

Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Martinez, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Project Manager in Martinez, CA

I have been working at Contra Costa County - California full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The economy has recovered slowly in the private sector but money only starts flowing after a couple of years when the tax revenues actually come in and the Federal and State again have budget for new projects and release them to the counties.
    The only pro right now is really flexibility in telecommuting. I work in IT so my physical presence is not necessary, as long as I have computer and VPN in, I'm golden.

Cons

Remember new hires - this is a Union shop now so Last in - First out. Nepotism runs rampant, Senior Staff get promoted to the highest possible position so that they'll benefit from 100% retirement income + social security, and more than not I have actually seen them come back as contractors making twice what they did before even if it's only for 2 years. It's a sweet deal if you can get it.

I have never worked in a company that is flat out lying to their staff, even give them awards for outstanding performance and at the same day lay you off. That's when seniority plays again a big role. You can actually get an award for the best overall new-hire for the year and the next day you don't have a job. Also, many agency employees have been there for a long time and to be able to lay them off you basically have to shut down the department and then it's a whole other story when the Union becomes involved. Although Union 21 is as useless as titts on a man, they are just there to collect the union dues, if you think the'll protect you think again.