Contra Costa County - California

Be The First To
Add Photos

Great place to work!

IT Manager (Current Employee) Martinez, CA

ProsGreat place to work good work-life balance

ConsThe pay is always a challenge

Advice to Senior ManagementMore money is needed to retain quality people

SET program best in County

Human Resources SET Program Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Martinez, CA

ProsThe HR training I received here will benefit me and last my lifetime. This was truly one of my favorite and most rewarding jobs.

ConsThe worst part of working her is that it was temporary and I was unable to become employed on a permanent basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice is for management to keep Managers like Rebecca Darnell. She was awesome to work for, loved what she did and made sure her people were rewarded for their services.

satisfied

ProsI'm grateful to have a job!

ConsI don't have any complaints right now!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good for Temporary Job

Supervisor (Former Employee) Concord, CA

ProsYou get what you need to do your job in terms of training or supplies. Nice office environment.

ConsManagers did not understand how to manage a department or business. They lacked the skills to provide leadership. Managers started and participated in gossip.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember you are a leader. If you expect a certain behavior, you should also do the same. Stop showing favoritism, it destroys team building.

Stay away from them at all cost for the next couple of years!

Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) Martinez, CA

ProsThe economy has recovered slowly in the private sector but money only starts flowing after a couple of years when the tax revenues actually come in and the Federal and State again have budget for new projects and release them to the counties.
    The only pro right now is really flexibility in telecommuting. I work in IT so my physical presence is not necessary, as long as I have computer and VPN in, I'm golden.

ConsRemember new hires - this is a Union shop now so Last in - First out. Nepotism runs rampant, Senior Staff get promoted to the highest possible position so that they'll benefit from 100% retirement income + social security, and more than not I have actually seen them come back as contractors making twice what they did before even if it's only for 2 years. It's a sweet deal if you can get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have never worked in a company that is flat out lying to their staff, even give them awards for outstanding performance and at the same day lay you off. That's when seniority plays again a big role. You can actually get an award for the best overall new-hire for the year and the next day you don't have a job. Also, many agency employees have been there for a long time and to be able to lay them off you basically have to shut down the department and then it's a whole other story when the Union becomes involved. Although Union 21 is as useless as titts on a man, they are just there to collect the union dues, if you think the'll protect you think again.

Unusually highly unionized and antagonistic work environment

ProsAddressing budget issues related to pension liability

ConsDifficult work environment when supervisors and managers are unionized.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees with respect; develop employees; evaluate performance and hold employees and managers accountable.

Working for Contra Costa County

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, good working hours, good pay. It is relatively easy to become a subject matter expert in your position.

ConsMany managers are technical experts, and lack key managerial skills. Training for soft skills would be beneficial. Some positions, are very unique and one of a kind, and the skills built may not be directly transferable to other positions.

A great amount of responsibility is given to Planner I's, but without proper preparation for what is expected of them.

Planner I (Current Employee) Martinez, CA

ProsGreat co-workers, stability, nice new office building, responsibility, diversity of work

ConsLeadership of upper management, office politics, poor healthcare benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be nepotistic, hold grudges, or charge employees for their own benefits

Staff for elected official

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of ability to help people if you want, lots of variety and public contact.

ConsCompetitive, self-protective sometimes malicious staffers with little training or experience, elected officials and their staff do not get paid the same union wages as the long term county government workers so little training or experience. Many, but thankfully not all, union government workers more interested in keeping and protecting their jobs than in doing them.

I have worked for Contra Costa County for 25 years have seen many changes, some good and some are questionable.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Martinez, CA

ProsOpportunity for growth in some departments, not all.
    Health Care benefits are reasonable.

ConsVery difficult to change the old way of doing business. Very difficult to improve the work flow in some departments. Management is secretive and only wants to share certain parts of the department with only certain employees. Not an ideal workplace.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and make them feel worthy and needed.

Worked for Contra Costa County - California? Contribute to the Community!