Convergys

Convergys President & CEO Andrea Ayers

Andrea Ayers

41 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Stressful

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Convergys full-time for more than a year

ProsReally enjoyed the management in this particular location. They were fair and encouraging and always assisted me when I needed any help without making me feel like a pest for asking.

ConsI do not agree with the attendance policy, although it may seem lenient for some. Also, the quality of employees that are hired are extremely low.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork with the recruiting department to hire more qualified people!

Laid off after 15 years

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Convergys full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGlobal company, big corporation, many opportunities

ConsCompensation is below market value, many waves of layoffs every year.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Convergys tech support

Technical Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Convergys full-time for more than a year

ProsTheir is not any por's working with this company.

ConsIt is a started company. It is good if you need a job..

Advice to Senior ManagementYou really don't want to grow with this company.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Convergys does not care about or respect their workers.

Tier I Technical Support (Former Employee)

I worked at Convergys full-time for less than a year

ProsDecent pay for a job that requires no degree or much experience. The training they give you can help you get a better job somewhere else after you leave.

ConsConvergys started off being not terrible, but while working there policy changed heavily. Now, even though you get absolutely no vacation time until you have worked there for a year, they do not allow you to use unpaid time off (they claim it still exists but there is no way to request it or utilize it), and any paid time off must be requested 3 weeks in advance to even be considered. They also changed the scheduling so that the bottom 70% of workers statistically would now be forced to work 10 hour shifts on both weekend days every week. While this did not effect me, many employees quit or were very upset, especially those with children. Do not expect any flexibility in scheduling with Convergys. They also changed it so that if you do not take your breaks as scheduled, you miss out on your break and are no longer allowed to use it. Forget to take it, get stuck on a call, want to take it when you need to make a call or go to the bathroom? too bad. You now just get no breaks if you miss the window. Convergys was planning on mass firing 25% of the staff on my account, until they implemented these changes and so many employees quit that they are now actually trying to hire people rather than fire them. They were baffled that their sheep would quit and not just say 'thank you generous sirs' and keep on doing what they were told. The team managers are constantly trying to convince Convergys management that it is not an easy job and that the employees who are great at their job are important to keep around and do right by, because it is difficult to excel. They are not convinced, and would just rather get rid of everyone every year so they don't have to start paying them more or giving vacation time.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your employees who excel are valuable, and that this is not an easy job.

My terrible experience with Convergys

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Convergys full-time for less than a year

ProsI was happy that the application process was quick and easy, and I started working within just a two weeks from applying. Training was great and the instructors made sure that you were prepared to do the job. Pay was better than my previous jobs, being $10.00/hour, and you had the potential to get a raise every 6 months based on attendance. Steady 40 hours/week, and option of overtime.

ConsExtremely high turnover rate. Majority of the people that they hired were extremely unprofessional and trashy. They have no sense of respect or manners. Coworkers would sexually, and otherwise, harass me and management took no effort to address the issue. Long hours of sitting, with short breaks that do not even give you a change to get your food, let alone eat it. The environment and the people are not of high quality and standards. Any decent person would feel miserable and out of place working inside this company. I stayed there through training and then I left due to the environment, coworkers and their highly unprofessional behavior, and the exhausting nature of the hours of my shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementWatch the type of characters you are hiring. Perhaps if you had higher standards when you hire people, you would have better stats and workers would stay with your company longer because the environment will be much better. You are missing out on a lot of great workers by hiring trash. Also, longer breaks to make sure that your workers actually have a chance to eat.

Our company was ripe for purchase when Convergys bought us out and the only good thing I got was cash for my stocks.

Network Technician (Former Employee)

I worked at Convergys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey offered really good health insurance choices with a lot of options. That being said there really were not any more pros about the place, other than I had a job.

ConsNo raises were provided after we got bought out in 2008. Layoffs were abounding on a once every six month frequency. Middle management really was limited by the upper managers on what kinds of business plans could be executed. More often than not, upper management would simply provide bravado speeches and expect business to improve without adding the required resources.

Trying to move anywhere in the company was risky. Departments were being cut at very high frequencies.

Good pay, but you earn it.

Customer Service and Sales Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Convergys full-time for less than a year

Pros- Good hourly wage (I started at 10/hr) considering it's an entry-level job.
- Several weeks of paid "training" in classroom environment
- Good overtime, holiday, & Sunday pay
- Opportunity to advance
- Your shared hatred of this job will nurture lasting bonds between you and your co-workers.

Cons- I was hired as Internet support for AT&T given my background in web development and IT. I signed a contract with my wage, $10.50 an hour. A few days later when I showed up for orientation, they without warning revoked that offer and made me sign a NEW contract as a cable service to sales rep for Charter, and decreased my wage to $10. Classic bait-and-switch.

- The most mind-numbing, frustrating job I've ever held. Before I took this job, I was friendly and enjoyed meeting new people. This job made me despise people and look poorly upon humanity as a whole. You will be on your headset taking back-to-back calls for upwards of 6 hours at a time, up to 12-15 hours a day. Almost every customer that you deal with will already be upset, as people often are when something's wrong with their cable service. You will be personally responsible for the frequent errors by third-party contracted cable techs. You must have tough skin. You WILL be called names, insulted, berated, and disrespected, more so than any other job, because the customers feel safe hiding behind a phone on the other side of the country. That's with any call center job, but at Convergys, you are under no circumstances allowed to disconnect the call until the customer hangs up first, so even if you're getting nowhere with a customer who just wants to take out their anger on you, you just have to deal with it and watch your call time average increase, which reflects poorly on you.

- An incredible, overwhelming push for sales. You are expected to try to upsell on every call - yes, this includes the multitude of calls that are seething, furious customers who are already upset the service they have doesn't work - and yes, they will get even more angry when they realize you're trying to sell them more service on the very same call. If you don't sell enough, you will be written up. This push drives many employees to cheat or sign customers up for things they didn't want. In fact, you are encouraged and trained to trick customers with fancy wording into buying services and/or equipment they don't need. Many calls will be from customers who just got their new, higher bill and are outraged at being duped by the last rep.

- The training program is a joke. You will be watching Powerpoints on an overhead projector and taking quizzes on the computer most of the time. Our trainer actually skipped most of it and instead talked about her cats and grandchildren most of the time. It was fun to get paid for nothing, but at the end of it we were expected to have gained knowledge from this experience. Most of my training class spent our first several weeks on the phones struggling and floundering because we were given only one day practical experience before being thrown on live phones on our own. One day, after several weeks of sitting in the classroom reading company flyers and trying not to fall asleep.

Advice to Senior Management- There needs to be more communication between levels of management.
- Value your employees as human beings. A canvas bag or water bottle is not incentive for working twice as hard for the same pay. Make it easier for new employees to get the help they need without being punished..

Sr.Systems Analyst

Senior Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Convergys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou get your paycheck bi-weekly.

ConsNot ready to change.
Not ready to listen.
No scope for growth.

Convergys

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Convergys full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThey pay on time and steady

ConsThey treat you like the dirt on the floor.They could care less about there employees and they don't pay more than $10 an hyr so I hear

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your employees like people and valued them..

Professionally unfulfilling, high stress, salary far below industry standard.

Technical Support Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Convergys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSurvival job during the current economic depression. Expeience with NetApp data storage systems.

ConsAdvanced skills are unappreciated and unrewarded. There is no vertical career development. Very high stress customer service environment. Shift work on 24/7 basis. Company will oppose unemployment compensation if you are laid off or otherwise terminated. No loyalty to the individual. Expectation shared by many is that the NetApp relationship will end within 2 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementBring wages and benefits up to industry standard and provide career training opportunities.
Investment in your workforce brings rewards not risk.

Worked for Convergys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Convergys reviews and ratings in Lake Mary, FL — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Convergys CEO Andrea Ayers. All 41 reviews posted anonymously by Convergys employees.