Convergys

2.8
1,449 Reviews

Convergys President & CEO Andrea Ayers
Andrea Ayers

Pros
  • Work from home so no hassle of dealing with traffic jams and getting suit ready for work (in 88 reviews)

• Fairly consistent work environment, good exposure to a unique industry (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • 6 dollars an hour lower than the prevailing call center wage in this area (in 74 reviews)

• benefits are too expensive, there is no work-life balance, at Convergys, work is your life (in 24 reviews)

More Highlights

If you like dealing with people, you will love this job!

Former Employee - Customer Service and Problem Resolution Representative II in Pharr, TX

I worked at Convergys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

They DEFINITELY compensate you for how much you want! If you want to sell at every call, they compensate you if you make a sale. The people: my coworkers and supervisors were amazing! Great holiday and overtime pay too. You can really move up in position within months.

Cons

Customer attitudes vary far and wide. You must be patient and product/account knowledgeable! Also, not EVERY caller will want to buy. If you need help, it is sometimes hard to come by for a supervisor on busy days. You have to learn quick! This is an outsourced company, so the big man (BIG telecommunications company) pays the middle man (Convergys) and then they pay you minimally because the middle man is getting paid coins.

Human Resources and upper management that were not on the floor needed to be more personable. On all encounters I had with HR, I was not satisfied.

Remember it's a business

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Jacksonville, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Jacksonville, NC

I have been working at Convergys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Better pay than surrounding companies, management is welcoming, easy to learn systems

Cons

Employees forget its a business, schedule bands aren't very flexible unless based on performance

It was useful in the sense of customer service and experiencing different opportunities.

Current Employee - IDC Representative in Laredo, TX
    Current Employee - IDC Representative in Laredo, TX

I have been working at Convergys part-time (more than an year)

Pros

easy to get hired, always hours, occasionally have overtime

Cons

mindless, repetitive, tedious, not challenging

none, I'm not a manager so I don't know exactly what they can change and what's company policy.

For a long time I enjoyed working with our customers to resolve issues with their service or equipment.

Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Sales Representative in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Convergys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent compensation. Generally opportunities to increase income by picking up additional work hours. Enjoyed helping customers resolve issues and/or add or modify TV programming.

Cons

Pressure to sell products of partner companies that left customers with a lot to be desired.

Protect your customers better from inferior products offered by your partner companies and 3rd party marketing groups..

Great work experience, Not enough incentive to stay

Former Employee - Team Leader in Cedar City, UT
    Former Employee - Team Leader in Cedar City, UT

I worked at Convergys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Competitive salary for the area, sales incentives,

Cons

High stress, Constant "flavor of the month" atmosphere

More positive reinforcement for those doing well. Don't focus so much on what people are doing wrong.

Great way to enter workforce.

Former Employee - Team Leader
    Former Employee - Team Leader

I worked at Convergys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to start your career.

Cons

Pay is below market value.

You will plateau

I have been working at Convergys

Pros

Easy to learn systems and maneuvering if you're computer savvy

Cons

Sales goals must be met

Satisfied but wanting more

Current Employee - Quality Evaluator in Taylorsville, UT
    Current Employee - Quality Evaluator in Taylorsville, UT

I have been working at Convergys full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Starting pay is higher than minimum wage
    Opportunities for advancement into Team Lead positions available, some support staff advancement available

Cons

After first advancement opportunity, further opportunities become available very infrequently
    Convergys is a 3rd party vendor so salaries are less than if working for a company directly
    No training given to prepare agents or staff for advancement opportunities

A college students dream job as a customer service rep

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tamarac, FL
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tamarac, FL

I worked at Convergys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

This company offers flexible schedules for the average college student. I was able to work this job full time while able to attend college full time. Coworkers were diverse with different cultures and backgrounds; easy to make new friends/associates. The training provided was paid for 2 weeks. Almost free money when On days when call volume is low. 30 minute lunch break and two 15 mins breaks.

Cons

Advancement depends on popularity/favoritism. Even if one advances from customer service rep to supervisor or management, demotion can occur at anytime due to call volume, loss of employees due to high turn over rates, or change in project. This job isn't for everyone must be able to deal with irate customers and minimal raises from starting pay rate. This is not a career but a job.

Reduce turnover with higher pay rate and annual/biannual evaluations with matching raises.

Not for everyone.

Current Employee - Customer Sales & Service Representative in Hickory, NC
    Current Employee - Customer Sales & Service Representative in Hickory, NC

I have been working at Convergys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great training (5 weeks plus 2 weeks of "transition" period), Great benefits and pay for the experience needed to get the job, easy job if you have thick skin when it comes to being verbally abused for 8 hours a day.

Cons

Management refuses to take customer escalations until the customer has asked 3 or more times making them more angry, sitting at a desk 8 hours a day does a number to your sanity

Focus more on customer service rather than sales... but I suppose that's more on AT&T's end and less on Convergys.