Convergys

2.8
1,498 Reviews

Convergys President & CEO Andrea Ayers
Andrea Ayers

Pros
  • Work from home so no hassle of dealing with traffic jams and getting suit ready for work (in 89 reviews)

• Fairly consistent work environment, good exposure to a unique industry (in 59 reviews)

Cons
  • 6 dollars an hour lower than the prevailing call center wage in this area (in 75 reviews)

• Poor work life Balance, they expect work to be your life with not much time for anything else (in 26 reviews)

More Highlights

This us one of the best work at home companies out there.

Current Employee - Work At Home Customer Service Representative in Forest Home, AL

I have been working at Convergys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Support from every angle. Management always available. Lots of incentives for agents. This job requires self discipline and responsibility, if you make excuses and don't perform, if you can't show up, this job is not for you.

Cons

System updates constantly, but it makes the system better each time.

Hiring process should include people with more customer service background. Sometimes hires people with Shady work experience, and who are negative in the environment.

Typical customer service call center

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative

I worked at Convergys full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked in the insurance department. Training is 3 weeks and during training you learn with your trainer and 20 other people, you take tests, and then a final. If you don't pass the final then you can take it a second time, you will take it again in two weeks. The second time you take it, it's much difficult, but don't get scared, if you don't pass the final, you'll be kept as a CSR.

Some people are just not test people and the people in my training class that didn't pass it, stayed employed. There is a lot of information during training, pay attention and take notes, ask questions and bug your trainer until they explain it in a way you can understand. Most of the people here are friendly. The team leaders are usually available to answer questions, there are people on the floor who walk around the room and will come to you if you need help. That's their job. You have to raise your hand and they come to you.

The job is advertised as a customer service and sales rep. Don't let the sales part fool you. There isn't anything you have to sell. You just take inbound calls answering any issues the customer has with their policy. It could be as easy as taking a payment, or something more difficult. The pay is all right at 11.25/hour. Not as high as some of the insurance companies around here, but not as low as some of the other call centers. Its a happy medium.

They have a relaxed attendance policy which is unusual for a call center. They'll go over the attendance system during training but its much more relaxed from the call center I used to work at. They have PTO, unpaid time off, a 401 (k), healthcare insurance, it's a very benefits oriented company. They even have tuition reimbursement for certain degrees.

Attendance is very important. You don't have to be the best. It's okay if you're not the best at first, but as long as you're willing to show up each day, learn, and improve each day then that's what matters. Attendance is everything to this company. They're willing to promote people as long as they show up on time and try to better themselves. Again you don't have to be the best at first, but if you're willing to show up on time and do your best and try to learn, that's what they care about.

Cons

The pay could be a couple of dollars higher. Other insurance companies hire around 2-3 dollars higher than Convergys. Convergys hires at 11.25 and other insurance companies hire around $12, 13, 14, +. However there are some call centers in this city that hire around $8, so its not as if Convergys is the lowest.

Most customers are nice but once in a while you get a customer who refuses to accept your answers even though you are correct, so you have to get a supervisor to talk to them. Sometimes the guys and girls who are supposed to come to you when you have questions during a call are not available. A lot of them go home at 4:30 or are busy helping another CSR, so you'll have to handle the call on your own or call another department for like service for help on how to handle that call.

There is some favoritism, some people are cliquey but that is the norm at a lot of companies. Try not to take it personally. My suggestion is to be nice to everybody, try to get to know people, you don't have to be friends with someone if you don't click, the opportunities are there to move up but there is a lot of competition too. A lot of people see this job as a way to pay their bills and as something short-term.

There are some sucks up at the company but that is the norm at a lot of companies too. Turnover rate is high because its a call center job. It's repetitive, you have to deal with answering the same question again, and sometimes you get rude customers. It's a job that is easy to burn out on.

I don't have any suggestions.

It's a great entry level job.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Jacksonville, FL

I have been working at Convergys

Pros

I have never worked in a call center before and this a great place to start to gain the experience in customer service and banking. The benifets are decent. Trainers are very helpful when you start. You learn alot in the few weeks of training. Outside of training most supervisors are helpful and help alot. Monthly incenetives are pretty easy to attain.

Cons

AHT is a big deal and sometimes the handle time is out of your control. The point system for attendance is a minor annoyance. The system is No fault for attendance so if you clock in a minute late no matter the reason you get the quarter of a point.

Advice to management? Maybe just work on the point system. Sometimes things happen.

Great company with lots of growth

I have been working at Convergys full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

If you have the right skill set for them the sky is the limit to where you can go. I know many in the company that started at humble beginnings only to move to high level jobs. It's not going to happen for everyone but you never know if you are going to be that person.

Cons

The company does seem to take different directions at the highest levels. This can add to stress of the population particularly when it is not communicated out effectively.

honestly not a bad company, too focused on sales though.

Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Pharr, TX
    Current Employee - Call Center Agent in Pharr, TX

I have been working at Convergys

Pros

i actually kind of like working here, i go in and immediately start taking calls. the atmosphere is great and so is the pay. they also offer great incentives and commissions. they honestly do give you all the tools to succeed in this job.

Cons

the only cons are the fact that they are so sales driven, it is tough to make a sale when a customer calls in already angry, and they want you to try to sell on every call. management is ok here, they are all about keeping morale up but sometimes it just gets so stressful. i would only recommend this job if you can handle dealing with angry customers and dont mind sitting down and taking calls all day.

Scary

I worked at Convergys

Pros

Great people, friendly environment, lots of benfits

Cons

The customers that call in are very, very, very rude

instead of throwing new hires into markets, evaluate new hires and their personality to determine which market would work best.

Good place to work

I have been working at Convergys

Pros

Employees are treated with respect. Benefits are pretty good. The dress code is very lenient so you never have to spend any money on clothes just for work

Cons

The pay is low especially considering that you are expected to meet a wide variety of call center metrics and it can be tedious

Pay a living wage

Mostly good but not great in some ways

I worked at Convergys (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly environment, and if you enjoy interaction it is great

Cons

For the amount of pay (like most jobs) you are expected to perform at very high levels with minimal training only for a job that requires intense multItasking at times. Training is realistically on the job and if you are a fast learner you'll be fine. The hardest part is the extreme low tolerance for any attendance issues even if they are excused by dr. It is held against you and can cost your job. So if you are late even a few minutes you get a mark that stays on your record for up to a year. Too many and you are terminated.

I laugh when I call and get agent's on the phone to help me as a customer who clearly had only a quarter of the skill and experience but because of senseless poliCies such as the attendance policy you have a revolving door of employees meanwhile the quality agent's who could do the job best get lost in the revolving door shuffle

Great incentives for being good at your job. Prizes, lunch, snacks.

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Clarksville, TN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist in Clarksville, TN

I have been working at Convergys full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly work environment, opportunity to climb the ladder. A lot of floor support and coachings so you can be the best. This is a great place to start a career. Cash Bonus for good stats. Pay raises based on attendance.

Cons

Sometimes you can get bad advise from management. If you don't have a friendly demeanor it can be easy to make customers mad. You have to speak on behalf of the company whether you agree with it or not.

Good temporary job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Orem, UT

I have been working at Convergys full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay for a job that requires no certification or degree. My supervisors were helpful. They have a fair attendance policy.

Cons

As with any phone job, it gets draining after a while. I moved up in the company and got a coaching position. I was struggling with the way the coaching position was handled (being a new position) and it wasn't quite the right fit for me. I requested to go back on the phones and management told me that moving back to the phones would most likely affect future growth I might want to do in the future. This prevented me from having any desire to move up in the company.