Convergys

2.9 1,069 reviews

Convergys President & CEO Andrea Ayers

Andrea Ayers

1,069 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "Work from home so no hassle of dealing with traffic jams and getting suit ready for work"
    in 71 reviews
  • "Clean work environment, pretty sweet break room"
    in 46 reviews
Cons:
  • "6 dollars an hour lower than the prevailing call center wage in this area"
    in 58 reviews
  • "excellent at relocating customer service jobs overseas for cost effectiveness"
    in 32 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Bad

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Denver, CO

I worked at Convergys full-time for more than a year

ProsNone that is worth while.

Conscan't keep their word on pay or bonuses; never know what is going on

A Dark Dungeon of a Workplace

Sales Representative (Former Employee)
Longview, TX

I worked at Convergys full-time for less than a year

ProsIt is fairly easy to get hired (due to the high turnover rate). There is a training period (although you should not count on it alone to prepare you for the sales floor). It pays at least $10.00/hr (and there are sales bonuses, even if they are not realistic).

ConsThe systems don't always function (Note: You can't help a customer if you can't search for an issue). You are expected to navigate at least 7 windows at once while on the phone (Note: It may take anywhere up to 15 windows to resolve an issue). Managers ignore employees in need of help while on the phone (Note: They are required to provide support). Employees may be randomly subjected to abuse (Note: All calls are recorded and are used to humiliate employees in a group setting for "educational purposes"). Sales bonuses are nearly impossible to achieve (Note: You can be disqualified even if you do somehow meet the criteria). You are expected to follow a very specific protocol on every call and may be disciplined for any call where you may have misspoken or forgotten a step (Note: Even if you do follow protocol, a manager may still evaluate your call negatively based on his or her interpretation of your tone, behavior, etc.). You are expected to push a product on the customer on every call, even if he or she is unwilling (Note: You can and will be fired for forgetting to make offers). And so much more...

Advice to Senior ManagementEnd abuse of lower-level employees and focus on retaining skilled workers instead of bringing in wave after wave of unsuspecting new recruits to fill the seats of those who have learned not to place their trust in your company.

Customer service that cares NOTHING about the customer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Convergys

ProsTraining was easy, fun employees, some quality talent in the workforce, commission bonuses, plenty of tools to perform your job, and fast paced work environment

ConsUneducated team leaders, no regard for customer satisfaction, WAY to focused on sales, difficult promotions or pay raises, and lack of real understanding of customer service

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the customer. Be sure to satisfy their needs and not worry so much about transitioning to sales. If customers were more satisfied with the resolution of their problems the sales would come much easier and much more frequent. Sales are VERY difficult to a customer who has had to call 5 times to resolve their issues and on every call they received a boring canned door to door sales pitch each time. That causes customers to call in with a predetermined mindset about the product because prior agents gave a lackluster effort at "wowing" them. The training seems to be geared to a "get to the sales pitch" instead of giving the customer a true "wow" experience.

Former Stream Global Services

Team Manager (Former Employee)
Sofia (Bulgaria)

I worked at Convergys full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou can do nothing and still have all the pros of being employed.

ConsCompletely incompetent management that acts only when there is an issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you ask for an opinion, be ready for it. As usual, you always want to hear what you want, which helps nobody.

Watch your back - run fast - run far!

Management (Former Employee)
Erlanger, KY

I worked at Convergys full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFree parking - free coffee (at least when I was there) - fairly decent food machines ... well, as decent as "wheel-of-death" food can be.

ConsLack of ethics exhibited by most TLs and some managers, including sexism, favoritism, vulgarity, and outright harassment
Ineffective, minimal training to prepare TLs and managers for their jobs
High quality professional trainers were replaced by inexperienced trainers by management. Managers promoted despite not having the stated requirement of a bachelors degree.
Unreal turnover - The Erlanger office has a banner advertising "Hiring Now" visible from the interstate. This banner has been flying daily for the last five years. I have friends who, in desperation, have worked there recently. Most quit after just a few months.
When this call center opened, the cleaning staff did a fantastic job. To save money, the company replaced them with a group which allowed the site to deteriorate.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's a known fact that constant employee turnover (churn) is detrimental to job satisfaction. It's also a fact that most employees leave their jobs due to dissatisfaction with their immediate manager. Showing at least a modicum of respect to your employees would go a long way.

Slave Labor

AT&T Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
Wichita, KS

I worked at Convergys full-time for less than a year

ProsPaid every 2 weeks, on Friday.

ConsExploiting people by using government money to provide some training, then bringing in a new batch of employees to obtain the training fees for them. The company has no intention of retaining employees. Does not pay a living wage.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your employees. Treat them right, and they will work hard for you.

Upper level have no idea what they are doing but place blame on lower level employees!

Problem Resolution Consultant (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

ProsIt's a job.
Training is paid for.

ConsOffice politics determine not only advancement but equal support and treatment.
Nothing is constant and the policies don't support productivity nor trust for customer loyalty.
This company refuses to work with student schedules and does not take in consideration that it's employees have lives outside of the company.
Don't expect to be rewarded for hard work, it won't happen.
Statistics are not a dependable way to evaluate employees because the higher ups have no idea how to regulate the system.
Bonuses are only spoken of in training but they never make it to your paycheck.

Advice to Senior ManagementRe-evaluate your policies and evaluation processes and supply more flexible hours so that hard-working employees actually can stay with the company.

great place to brush up on your skills, or develop them

Sales and Customer Service (Former Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Convergys full-time for less than a year

Prossteady paycheck, slightly better than flipping burgers

ConsThey lie about pay and annual income. Misrepresent opportunity for advancement. Bad benefits. Constantly changing metrics. No concern for employees. CYA mentality pervades.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay a living wage, Try some team building. 75+% turnover has to be expensive.

Still a Revolving Door Company!

Undisclosed (Former Employee)
Appleton, WI

Pros* Starting pay is decent

Cons* Poor quality of training
* Un-clear expectations
* Unsecure employment (no compassion or understanding of ill children or emergencies)
* Lack of Floor Support for New Hires

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen training new hires for a complex program it would be nice to have systems that work and are in place (including the ability to login and use ALL the system tools needed in order to do the job).

Have internal issues/conflicts surrounding your Training Staff resolved prior to brining in New Hires as this does have a negative impact on learning expierence and also gives a poor reflection on your company, including how employees are treated.

It's a job

Customer Account Executive (Current Employee)
Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Convergys full-time for less than a year

ProsDuring a good chunk of the time I've been here the call volume is very low.

Good and affordable healthcare and dental benefits.

ConsDrama, drama, drama. One of my co-workers got teary eyed at work on TWO occasions and got into with management more than once

Poorly managed company.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou don't pay enough for agents to be taking back to back calls. My project rarely got this bad but for the other projects the call volume was too high to be worth $9.00 an hour. Dealing with irate customers on daily basis is VERY STRESSFUL. That's why your turnover is so high. And get your act together as far as management is concerned.

Worked for Convergys? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Convergys reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Convergys CEO Andrea Ayers. All 1,069 reviews posted anonymously by Convergys employees.