www.conversantmedia.com

Updated September 26, 2014
Updated September 26, 2014
2.9

John Giuliani

Good company with growing pains.

I have been working at Conversant

Pros

Conversant has a bright future as innovator and leader in digital media market. Business is managed conservatively and wisely making it a stable place to work. Good people and always new and interesting challenges to tackle.

Cons

Stingy on benefits, vacation time, and resources. Company seems to be getting top heavy as they are hiring more upper management and HR while there is a mass-exodus of ground level - mid level people and those people are not being replaced very quickly. This leaves everyone else with larger workloads and no additional resources.

Keep up the vision and innovation to lead the industry. Great job on that!
    Provide more resources and a better work/life balance to retain talent among the ranks.

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company atmosphere and great coworkers

Cons

Sometimes difficult to manage time.

Great Place to Learn Skills For A Better Job Somewhere Else

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Great colleagues below management level.
    2. Exposure to technology that makes you highly employable by better companies.
    3. Easy walk to CTA.

Cons

1. As has been touched on by another reviewer, there is NO career advancement here as the company has traditionally hired outsiders into 'leadership' roles instead of growing from within. Given the company is being purchased by ADS, expect to see what few 'opportunities' exist to go to existing ADS employees.

2. Work/Life Balance does not exist. If you become a key 'player' expect to be available 24x7, but don't expect any career advancement aside from opening up some slots for more external hires above you.

3. Read the 'I Love It Here Because Of The Synergies Provided By Blah' style reviews that stink of 'damage control' to understand how the organization deals with issues: it tries to hide or bury them.

4. Turnover. Where have all the good ones gone? To much better jobs according to their social networks.

1. Keep doing what you are doing as you already have the $$$ from this buyout. Soon enough the organizational mess will be a problem for ADS to deal with.

The good, the bad and the outside hire...

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The average Conversant employee is very smart, very approachable and appreciates humor in the workplace. Whether working within your own department or with colleagues from another department, the interpersonal experience is almost always overwhelming positive.

- The Conversant organization is heavily focused on technology, which allows employees to build a marketable skill set by interacting with novel technologies and accumulating knowledge that is valuable in the job market.

Cons

The company is aggressively hiring (and, by all accounts, will continue hiring despite the announcement of the ADS acquisition), but nearly all of the potential promotions have gone to outside hires. They talk a lot about the career track and moving up in the org, but I'm beginning to feel like I'm blocked for years to come based on all the outside hires slotting in above me in the organization. It's like they've never heard of promoting from within. Not a good signal from your employer...

Years of experience is not the be-all and end-all in satisfying the requirements for a job, particularly in a tech-heavy org. The rigidity of the org's views with respect to meeting certain criteria for promotion is causing great talent to walk out the door to find an org where talent is better appreciated, and much of the talent coming through the doors in the form of outside hires is objectively worse. Take care of and reward the people in the org or they won't stay. Plain and simple.

OK Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Conversant full-time

Pros

-Good company culture
    -Good Benefits
    -Good perks (Free bagel friday, summer/holiday parties)
    -Good team enviornment

Cons

-No work/life balance
    -Pay is on the lower end
    -Upper management says they listen to their teams but they don't
    -The teams within the organized are extremely disconnected

Listen to your teams and what they have to say. They have a lot of good ideas that could making working at Conversant a lot more enjoyable. Also, connect more with your teams and employees. A lot of people feel very disconnected within their own teams and this makes people want to seek new opportunities.

Provides Opportunities and Tools to Move Your Career Forward!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the approachability of the individuals here. I can walk into any kitchen area and anyone I meet there is friendly. I personally have grown so much in the year+ that I have been here. My manager is firm and confronts issues head on. Also, gives me opportunities to correct course and doesn't hold the past against me. Some of the fun things offered are free bagels on Friday and an awesome annual Summer party out on Lake Michigan.

Cons

Compensation is below the mid-range, but I know they are working on it.

Feel free to be vulnerable and let your employees know all the good, bad and ugly. We might be able to help solve for a problem if we knew about it.

Sales people, run away

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not enough to make any reasonable sales person go here.

Cons

People are hired, their goals are changed and they can't make their quotas they are told some story. Look online to see all the sales professionals that have left. You will burn your book here. Sr. leaders have no clue what is going on. A lot of click fraud,

Leave and let new people take over.

People are fleeing!

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has good parties and sometimes does not worry about the expense. It is a good place to get your feet wet as it exposes you to the online advertising industry.

In order to keep people, they are giving meaningless promotions like crazy. So it is possible to become a "senior" whatever your job is.

Cons

The company has no vision communicated to the employees. The CEO re-hashes "company values" during calls which seem to have taken a 1984 tone. In my opinion, the CEO is an idiot. On investor calls he says he "doesn't know technology" yet is CEO of a tech company.

Good luck getting a raise, Conversant is known for being stingy on raises. It should be no wonder that people are leaving for better opportunities.

The technology is a mess as well. Too many different systems operating independently. The tech is very old and cannot be refactored. Instead it is worked around to "not disturb" the less-than-understood functionality. The solution is to have all these seperate coded systems access each other which is terrible.

You don't listen so I won't bother here. Watch as more employees leave and good luck training new ones.

Desperate for a job? They're hiring! Otherwise downhill IMO

I have been working at Conversant

Pros

Good entry level exposure to the industry, people are helpful and support you if they can. You can come to work when you want and leave when you want. If you do your job, you will continue to have a job.

Cons

Management does not have a clue what is going on. The pay is very low compared to the industry. Your suggestions going into a void. HR is the biggest joke of all. No one is excited anymore, just the look of tiredness.

People are leaving and the sales/marketing approach is a mess. The CEO says he values people but it doesn't show one bit.

Executives are ethically challenged

I worked at Conversant full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Most if not all employees below management levels are genuinely helpful and great teammates.

Cons

The management at conversant is among the most ethically challenged I've ever encountered.

Including:

- stealing accounts from salespeople in one territory to take for their own territory.

- lying to employees both to their face and behind their back