www.conversantmedia.com

Updated November 24, 2014
Updated November 24, 2014
2.9

John Giuliani

Ups and downs but overall a solid company

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The day to day folks are good to great people. Large company atmosphere offers stability and flexibility with being able to work from home. Managers are do not micromanage.

Cons

Big company politics and logjams occur which can be frustrating for day to day employees. Company has processes in place that are outdated.

Take to heart all feedback given by the day to day teams.

People in charge are not the people with the power

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Conversant full-time (less than an year)

Pros

If you are working in the right department you can work in a very dynamic environment

Cons

Lower management has ability to circumvent policy(s) of higher management.

Senior team members should not be allowed to dictate management policy by circumvent management.

Good company with growing pains.

I have been working at Conversant

Pros

Conversant has a bright future as innovator and leader in digital media market. Business is managed conservatively and wisely making it a stable place to work. Good people and always new and interesting challenges to tackle.

Cons

Stingy on benefits, vacation time, and resources. Company seems to be getting top heavy as they are hiring more upper management and HR while there is a mass-exodus of ground level - mid level people and those people are not being replaced very quickly. This leaves everyone else with larger workloads and no additional resources.

Keep up the vision and innovation to lead the industry. Great job on that!
    Provide more resources and a better work/life balance to retain talent among the ranks.

The good, the bad and the outside hire...

Current Employee - Data Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Data Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- The average Conversant employee is very smart, very approachable and appreciates humor in the workplace. Whether working within your own department or with colleagues from another department, the interpersonal experience is almost always overwhelming positive.

- The Conversant organization is heavily focused on technology, which allows employees to build a marketable skill set by interacting with novel technologies and accumulating knowledge that is valuable in the job market.

Cons

The company is aggressively hiring (and, by all accounts, will continue hiring despite the announcement of the ADS acquisition), but nearly all of the potential promotions have gone to outside hires. They talk a lot about the career track and moving up in the org, but I'm beginning to feel like I'm blocked for years to come based on all the outside hires slotting in above me in the organization. It's like they've never heard of promoting from within. Not a good signal from your employer...

Years of experience is not the be-all and end-all in satisfying the requirements for a job, particularly in a tech-heavy org. The rigidity of the org's views with respect to meeting certain criteria for promotion is causing great talent to walk out the door to find an org where talent is better appreciated, and much of the talent coming through the doors in the form of outside hires is objectively worse. Take care of and reward the people in the org or they won't stay. Plain and simple.

Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Associate Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company atmosphere and great coworkers

Cons

Sometimes difficult to manage time.

OK Place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Conversant full-time

Pros

-Good company culture
    -Good Benefits
    -Good perks (Free bagel friday, summer/holiday parties)
    -Good team enviornment

Cons

-No work/life balance
    -Pay is on the lower end
    -Upper management says they listen to their teams but they don't
    -The teams within the organized are extremely disconnected

Listen to your teams and what they have to say. They have a lot of good ideas that could making working at Conversant a lot more enjoyable. Also, connect more with your teams and employees. A lot of people feel very disconnected within their own teams and this makes people want to seek new opportunities.

Great Place to Learn Skills For A Better Job Somewhere Else

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1. Great colleagues below management level.
    2. Exposure to technology that makes you highly employable by better companies.
    3. Easy walk to CTA.

Cons

1. As has been touched on by another reviewer, there is NO career advancement here as the company has traditionally hired outsiders into 'leadership' roles instead of growing from within. Given the company is being purchased by ADS, expect to see what few 'opportunities' exist to go to existing ADS employees.

2. Work/Life Balance does not exist. If you become a key 'player' expect to be available 24x7, but don't expect any career advancement aside from opening up some slots for more external hires above you.

3. Read the 'I Love It Here Because Of The Synergies Provided By Blah' style reviews that stink of 'damage control' to understand how the organization deals with issues: it tries to hide or bury them.

4. Turnover. Where have all the good ones gone? To much better jobs according to their social networks.

1. Keep doing what you are doing as you already have the $$$ from this buyout. Soon enough the organizational mess will be a problem for ADS to deal with.

Provides Opportunities and Tools to Move Your Career Forward!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Conversant full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the approachability of the individuals here. I can walk into any kitchen area and anyone I meet there is friendly. I personally have grown so much in the year+ that I have been here. My manager is firm and confronts issues head on. Also, gives me opportunities to correct course and doesn't hold the past against me. Some of the fun things offered are free bagels on Friday and an awesome annual Summer party out on Lake Michigan.

Cons

Compensation is below the mid-range, but I know they are working on it.

Feel free to be vulnerable and let your employees know all the good, bad and ugly. We might be able to help solve for a problem if we knew about it.

Desperate for a job? They're hiring! Otherwise downhill IMO

I have been working at Conversant

Pros

Good entry level exposure to the industry, people are helpful and support you if they can. You can come to work when you want and leave when you want. If you do your job, you will continue to have a job.

Cons

Management does not have a clue what is going on. The pay is very low compared to the industry. Your suggestions going into a void. HR is the biggest joke of all. No one is excited anymore, just the look of tiredness.

People are leaving and the sales/marketing approach is a mess. The CEO says he values people but it doesn't show one bit.

Great Vision - model is high-end sales/service with so-so tech

Former Employee - Client Development in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Client Development in Chicago, IL

I worked at Conversant full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company has a very defined vision and focus which crosses all departments. High end solutions they offer are unique and valuable to their core customers.

Cons

Vision comes at a cost- there's no flexibility and it's a top down organization- political coziness with Sr mgt is crucial even at mid-level. From a technology perspective, they are improving but at heart this is a sales-service organization business model, not a tech play so tech is not as strong as top competitors