Conversica Reviews

Updated March 30, 2015
23 reviews filtered by

Great Idea, Horrible Execution

I have been working at Conversica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great people on the peer level, snacks and lunches provided, good location, quality health benefits.

Cons

With management that puts immediate profit before long-term gains, this place looks great until you actually have to interact with upper management or executives. Forward-thinking ideas are shelved indefinitely in favor of making a quick buck, and employees are hired (and kept) based on how little they are willing to work for or who they know more than proof of skill or experience.
    Constant possibility of being fired at any moment based on a double standard of high and unclear expectations and little to no direction, time, or budget.
    Leave your standards at the door if you want to get paid.

Concentrate on making a product worth selling before you try to sell it, and learn utilize the actual skill-sets of your employees instead of forcing them into positions where they are bound to under-perform.

A reset opportunity

Former Employee - Developer in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Developer in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Conversica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free food, nice coworkers and a keg. Location downtown is nice. Good environment for working.

Cons

Major lack of management skills in executive positions. No room for career opportunities and growth within the company although encouraged otherwise. Met with corporate glass ceilings from upper management on every project, impeding your own endeavors and progress which only reflects poorly on you as an employee. Asking for raises only gets you placed in line on the "first to go" list for the chopping block.

I was let go with no notice due to ignorance shared among the executives on the projects I actually performed and completed. This separation of employee and executive is astonishing within this company. I know the CEO just wants to sell out and move on in the near future. I do not advise working for this company if you value a long term and promising career in development, graphic design, marketing, sales or customer service.

I advise upper management to not fire creative and talented people based on their request for fair compensation, or false understanding of the projects completed by that person.

3. Work hard play hard

I have been working at Conversica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

An amazing office environment, I have fun at work, even when we're under pressure. Flexible hours, when I've needed time off, I got it. Great health benefits. Free food and drinks, there's snacks, but we also have lunches and breakfast made in the office.

Cons

You will be here more than 40 hours a week. We end up working 10+ hour days often because of various projects and urgency of some fixes. You will be on call from time to time, and have to be reachable and able to do work no matter the time of day.

5. Nice to feel empowered, pushed to do my best, held accountable and valued

I have been working at Conversica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with smart people
    Ability to creatively add my thoughts and ideas to everything I touch
    Feel valued
    I'm able to execute and coach based upon my experience. This is hard to find at time and one of the reasons I joined. It is great to see a CEO who is passionate, wants more and is fun!

Cons

This is a hard one....Have folks spread out is hard and we have to figure out how to communicate in a way that brings folks together on one common platform.

Hold folks accountable
    Encourage growth through accountability
    Expect more from everyone...high performance

Awesome Place To Work and Learn

Current Employee - Software Trainer in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Software Trainer in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Conversica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working with Artificial Intelligence Software is simply super cool. Seeing it work in Dealerships to help them increase sales is even better. Fun job with lots of bright and smart people. Feel like a game of pool or ping pong? Need a massage? Go get one, twice a week she is here. Yoga class? Go for it...twice a week it is also offered. Team building event? Sure..come join us for Mariners game at Safeco or for a weekend Hackathon. Hungry or Thirsty? You wont be here as all snacks and beverages are provided at NO EXPENSE to the employee (we even have an office mom that cooks and cleans up after us).

Cons

Having to work with people that are probably a lot smarter than yourself!

Keep up the perks and benefits. The balance between work and life and the perks offered here are simply not found elsewhere in this area.

I love working here

I have been working at Conversica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology
    Great people
    Paid benefits
    Great atmosphere and culture
    dedicated employees
    Office mom who is a killer chef
    free beer and happy hour
    Bellingham Washington

Cons

Parking
    Paid in arrears when you start
    building kinda sucks
    you can get wrapped up in your job....

Christmas bonuses!!

8. Great company - great benefits- amazing product

I have been working at Conversica

Pros

Free food, drink and snacks,
    innovative product that produces proven results,
    amazing, dedicated, smart and caring team to work with,
    fun environment

Cons

Parking can be an issue,
    later starting culture,
    no formal training program so hard to get up to speed and learn it all

Please provide clear direction and decisions for the team to work towards, please add a formal training program

9. Look forward to going to work everyday!

Current Employee - Office Manager/Accounting Manager in Bellingham, WA
    Current Employee - Office Manager/Accounting Manager in Bellingham, WA

I have been working at Conversica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

We have great people with a tremendous amount of talent, knowledge and experience. We work hard and we definitely play hard. We have good team effort to get the job done. Very competive wages and many extras benefits: snacks; beverages and a full range of break time activites in the office - pool, foosball, darts, mountain bilkes, 2x weekly massages and yoga classes provided in house. We get together after hours - a fun bus to Safeco Field for a Mariner's game in June. I have 30+ years experience in the work force and this is by far my best job to date.

Cons

Downtown Bellingham parking is trying.... we do offer parking spaces for the employees. Our office space need some minor renovation but it all works.
    Payroll schedule needs to be adjusted to the 1st and 15th of every month - it is very hard as a new employee to wait 3 weeks to get their first paycheck.

Keep going forward, there have been some growing pains but for the most part you are doing a great job! You will never please everyone but most of us love working here!

Dizzying Innovation in a Team Driven Environment

I have been working at Conversica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

great people, food and office views. Constant evolution of technical infrastructure as the business continues to grow. The best part is the team driven environment. Its rewarding to watch your efforts add to success within the business. Help is readily available for those interested in learning. Hard work consistently is recognized and rewarded.

Cons

free beer can be excessively foamy

keep the doors open for communication. Continue to invite team members to meetings that involve relevant code/ideas in order to avoid the trickle-down effect.

Sleazebags

Former Employee - Software Developer in Bellingham, WA
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Bellingham, WA

I worked at Conversica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great medical benefits
    Free food
    Free beer
    Pool table
    Ping pong table
    Office "mom" to prepare free food and clean the office
    401k with an OK employer match, a few percent isn't much when you are paid so little though.

Cons

50 hours a week minimum + 24/7 "On Call"
    Mandated shifts that can have you working as early as 6AM or as late as Midnight.
    Working on the weekends a normal occurrence
    Terrible work-life balance

No overtime, even for hourly employees working over 40 hours a week, which is illegal in this state.

2 weeks to 1 month unpaid before they decide to hire you for real.

Start at just above minimum wage, this goes for hourly and salaried employees.

Focus on "fix it right now" not maintainable code

Don't get me started on the contract you sign to work there, literally a book.

Pay competitive salaries
    Free food and beer != caring about your employees

Conversica Response

Aug 9, 2013Marketing

We are always striving to compete for talented Software Developers. While your experience at AVA may not be what you had hoped for we support your decision to work somewhere else.

For anyone