Convey Compliance Reviews

Inside review coming from the Client Support team

Current Employee - Solution Engineer  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Solution Engineer in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Convey Compliance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Opportunities - The company is still on the smaller, and is having great growth. This has provided several promotion opportunities in the recent past and current years. I've seen the expectations in the upcoming years and I don't foresee this trend to change anytime soon. I know there were other reviews about the

Leadership - Everyone on the leadership team is open, honest and approachable. They've been great to work with and for.

Management - I've had about 12 managers in my professional career and my manager here has been the best so far. Other department managers also seem very nice. I haven't met a bad manager here since I started. I've heard stories of past managers, but the current ones are all great.

Summer Hours - January is a very busy time so the company has implemented summer hours. Even though my department doesn't take full advantage of the program, I'm still grateful and think it's a nice thing to do for employees.

No Silos - No one department is silo'ed off from another. Departments collaborate well together and everyone is very open and willing to share information. There is a bit of disconnect between the 3rd and 4th floor employees, but I sort of expect that when the entire company isn't working in the same space together.

Townhall Meetings - Every month someone from the executive team (most of the time the CEO) presents to the whole company. We cover industry topics, issues and/or highlights from the past month. It helps keep the organization informed of what's going on.

Cons

January - Obviously January is a very busy time for tax reporting. Depending on your department that busy time can bleed into February a little and there are a couple deadlines in March and April that are busy too. Just understand this when you're considering a position here and it's not even an issue.

Weekend Work - Depending on your department you may need to work some weekends (i.e. code releases or on call). They'll let you know if this is expected in your department/position during the interview process, or at least they did with me so it wasn't a surprise.

Parking - Really minor, but there's not always enough parking at the office (especially in the winter).

**word of advice**
    If you expect to be busy in the winter then this isn't an issue at all. I worked through the last tax season. I also don't know what these people are talking about with limited advancement options. It sounds more personal than widespread. I've seen several promotions (over 10) in just the past few months.

Keep up your open, honest and approachable demeanor.

I've read what others have posted, and I can't agree with any of the negative reviews.

Don't let Convey fool you; seek better!

Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Convey Compliance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Convey is an extremely fun place to work for the reasons listed below, but you will quickly realize that long-term happiness and success is very difficult to find within their sales department.

The People: Working at Convey and in the niche industry they exist in, you will be surrounded with extremely intelligent and driven individuals who are experts in the space. Everyone, including the core-leadership group, is genuine and will take the time to help you. I will say though, my perception of many within the company changed after submitting my termination notice – certain individuals, including some from management, approached and dealt with me in a different and unpleasant manor.

Company Events: You will always have a company event on the calendar which gives you something to look forward to. Expect good food, adult beverages, and prizes.
    Free Beverages: To wash down your drip coffee, there are fridges around the office with free soda, juice, and energy drinks for the employees.

ACA/FACTA – As an industry leader in the tax and compliance space, Convey is in an excellent position to tap into the new market that ACA and FATCA will create. I would be weary though of where that potential exists and if it’s in the role you are applying for. Also be weary of other competitors - there are far more out there than Convey will even admit.

Training: Convey invests a lot of time and resources training their employees. A lot of it will remind you of your college days with eyes plastered to a over-head, but it helps.

Summer Hours: During summer months, you are entitled to half-day Fridays. I assume this will be ending with the recent merger though.

Convey will try to sell you on all this. Beyond quenching your thirst and giving you a reason to leave your desk for a company event on Wednesday afternoon, these perks do very little for your long-term happiness and success, and can easily be found elsewhere. My advice - seek better; don't let Convey lure you in.

Cons

Oh where to start.

First things first, I hope you like Kool-Aid – the red color that stains everything it touches.

When you start, find the cooler with the Kool-Aid in it – it is VERY important that you connect with the people around it. This is what I like to call the Convey “political circle”. The people in this circle with help you: get deals handed to you, get paid more, and get promoted. Be careful though, within the circle there is a spy.

Metrics metrics metrics: Understandably, metrics are a big part of any sales job. What Convey does understand though, is that working quick and fast does not mean working smart. They are moving to a new model called ABC – I think it means Activity Based Compensation. This means you are NOT guaranteed your base salary. Rather than Corporate Account Executive, I petition the name be changed to Corporate Metric Executive.

If you hit 75% of your weekly calls/demos/etc, you get 75% of your salary. If you take PTO, you need to make it up – so really it should be called TO.

Sales Process: As mentioned above, Convey has a very structured and formal sales process. Convey asks that you leave all personality and creativity at the door and do it their way. It won’t feel like a sales job. Instead, you will become a robot and professional presenter. Convey would much rather you lose a deal their way, than win a deal your way.

Stuff doesn't sell: You are working in market that figuratively exists only a few months of the year. Unless a huge concern (they have made the decision to buy on their own, or “made-market”), GOOD LUCK getting someone to talk to you in the May about January tax obligations. Your manager will tell you differently, but the market will tell the truth. And last I checked, no one was on their way to meeting quota. The majority of Convey’s deals are “made-market”. Congrats – you can now add order-taking to your LinkedIn skills.

Very little work-life balance: enough said.

Pay in-equality – Rightfully so, there are members on the team that get paid more (sometimes much more) than others. Make sure you negotiate your base – first, because it’s not guaranteed under the new ABC model, second, because they will start you on the low end.

Commission: If you are planning on leaving Convey, and have commission scheduled to be paid out, don’t put in your two week notice… instead, sit on the vine and rot. Once you receive payment, quit. I say this because Convey will not pay your earned commission unless you are still employed with the Company. It’s not polite or professional, but their policy promotes it.

I left Convey on an extremely sour note but none of this was embellished or exaggerated. I speak only for myself and my experiences in the sales organization, although I know many more echo them. Again, my hope is that my advice helps you stay away from the Convey trap. Do not let them let them fool you. They will try to lure you in the opportunity to make the big-bucks, but everyone leaves when they pee out the Kool-Aid and come back to reality.

I have been in my new role now for only a few weeks, but have immediately noticed the difference between a good sales department, and one that feels like a hamster cage. Biggest difference – stuff sells and you are given the freedom and flexibility to sell the way that works best for you.

Pay your employees the commission they deserve.

Address your employee's dissatisfaction and make changes.

Wrong direction

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at Convey Compliance full-time

Pros

In the beginning there was a nice small company feel. It was rewarding and engaging and everyone certainly felt they were shaping the success of Convey's future. Inevitably, that changed and there are only a few good Pros remaining that will probably go away with their recent merger:

People:
    There are some really good people working at Convey - especially those that have been there longer than a couple of years. The old sales leaders were exceptional - people who would get into the trenches with you. The product marketing and strategy guys are top notch. The new marketing and sales ops guys are also wonderful. The alliance guys are great. Senior leadership was great - including the CEO. There are some very talented sales people that can teach you something new - especially ones with 5-15 years in the business. I am concerned the sales people will continue to struggle at hitting their quotas and will continue to be underpaid - inevitably they will not last long.

Summer Hours:
    For a few months in the summer you get half days on Fridays - usually. You have to get your work done and in sales with unrealistic quotas, its hard to convince anyone your work is done. But that perk is something you would only find in a small company and absolutely helped with the work life balance. I am concerned this might go away with the merger. I am also concerned that if it doesn't go away they will continue to add metrics that will need to be met in order to take the perk.

Future growth:
    As soon as the ACA reporting requirements, FATCA requirements, and G20 CRS fall into place, there will be much greater need for their services. The government is helping grow the business.

Cons

No career path:
    They hire leadership from outside and block moving internally Outside leadership brings very little value and are only capable of managing to metrics - how many dials, how many minutes, how many meetings, how much pipe, how many times did you go to the bathroom, etc. They are unable to help you improve your skill, or add strategy appropriate to the level of sale primarily because they have never sold tax reporting before. That leads to the "hovering" metrics style management, call recording, dial monitoring activities that will not help. I believe you have to come from a former company of the leadership or really kiss butt to be successful.

Metrics management:
    See above

Pay:
    You will see a nice OTE but in reality, good luck hitting it - historically its VERY rarely happened, and with the new metrics and PowerPoint sales tactics, I am concerned they will never be hit.

Sales Process:
    New tactics have taken all of the modern styles out of the process. They used to be very challenger and customer centric based - including white boarding and conversations - now they are forceful presentations and generalities. Although the customers seem to buy into the presentations, I am concerned it wont uncover their true initiatives and how Convey can help them.

Merger:
    Now that they sold to another company it has become apparent they hired a number of middle managers to make the company look bigger than it needed to be. So I believe the merger is what caused the influx of poor leaders and I am concerned it will continue to hurt the few good things Convey had to offer.

Make sure you keep the few perks that help with work life balance,
    Make sure you follow your own core values,
    Make sure you promote from within,
    Make sure you pay your top performing sales people competitively.

Hopefully the new organization will identify the talent and weed out the rest and keep some of the good small company traits.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Needs Work

I have been working at Convey Compliance

Pros

Great benefits, fun work environment, work hard play hard mentality. The people are the best part of the company.

Cons

To much work, not enough trained people. The company is not open hearing the concerns of the employees. Not enough PTO for the hours worked as salaried.

Horrible.

I have been working at Convey Compliance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Working here will teach what it truly means to work for a horrible employer. You will learn very quickly that being jobless would be better than coming to work everyday. If you enjoy things like having a life outside of work or spending time with your family, you must stay away from this company. They will SUCK the life out of you.

Cons

Senior leadership is horrible, except for one or two people. Notice how many times I've used the word horrible? Work life balance pretty much sucks, company culture blows, the list could go on and on.

Like another review said - fire yourselves.

Feb 18, 2014Human Resources

We are sorry to hear that you did not feel Convey was the right opportunity for you.

This is a great company as long as you are not in there mid-market sales team.

Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Former Employee - Corporate Account Executive in Minnetonka, MN

I worked at Convey Compliance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The management team is a very impressive and committed group. The culture has a young fun vibe. The service is very impressive and the clients are well cared for by Convey.

Cons

For being a brilliant and focused group the lack of common sens astounded me.
    The training was top notch but they did not have qualified management support to go on appointments when you are a newemployee. No one is even close to their quota maybe 10 % to 20 percent at best. They spend to much time managing the number of calls made and the length of calls to build a big pipeline instead of building a quality pipeline that will buy from them. They had a team of 9 reps they had a team of lead generating people calling on a industry we all worked for 7 months then they said it's not a good fit but we still will hold you to your quota.
    Management was slow to figure out the main industry was not a fit but the sales team was aware of it. If management participated on calls they would have figured out the problem a long time ago.

I left a fortune 200 company only to figure out they built a team with out a solid direction for
    the sales people to work towards.

You must use your mind to figure out what is or is not working. Using a metrics to measure is only good to manage progress not to manage where you need to be going.

Oct 29, 2013Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experience about working with Convey. Your feedback will be considered as we continuously improve our sales efforts.

Great Company with lots of opportunities

I have been working at Convey Compliance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Convey is a great company to work for. The leadership is very approachable and easy to talk to. It's the kind of company that really wants to see the employees grow and advance in their careers. They try to have fun each month with different activities and the employees are all very dedicated and excited to be a part of a fast paced company that is really growing.

Cons

While the opportunities are great the work can be demanding. If you want an 8 - 5 job it's not the place for you. Everyone is held accountable for their contirbutions and the hours can be demanding. It's not the place for lazy people.

No advice, leadership is smart and they know where we are going and how to get us there. They are very involved in working working with all employees to help see them grow with the company and develope in our roles.

So many negatives...where do I even start?

I worked at Convey Compliance full-time for less than a year

Pros

I learned from working here that almost any job is better then working for this company.

Cons

Everything down to the off smell the office has. I can only assume that must be the smell of decaying employee moral. If there is one central theme I have noticed from the other reviews and would completely agree with it is that Senior "Leadership" should be shown the door. Also I've noticed the same thing as others that the leadership team is working hard to post as many self worshiping reviews as possible in the hopes of doing damage control for their reputation. I've even noticed one comment saying "this is not the place for lazy people". That's interesting considering the almost ridiculously over the top interview process. How is it that even when you go through and pass four different interviews including one with the CEO who makes the final decision and the fact that they check all of your references and you get hired they consider their failures to help you grow within the organization to be "it's your fault, your lazy?" If all your former employers and references give nothing but positive reviews and even the CEO approves of you being hired shouldn't that say something about the work environment and structure of Convey that this is the only place were multiple people seem not to be able to thrive? To me that would indicate one of two things. Either the CEO is completely unable to accurately identify exceptional talent or the business environment itself is so toxic that failure to thrive and grow is inevitable. I can tell you right now it's the toxic arrogant environment of the management team.

Fire yourselves. You are completely incompetent when it comes to understanding how to treat people. Remember that karma comes around and perhaps all of these negative reviews from former employees are your just deserts.

Oct 29, 2013Human Resources

We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience working with Convey and appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

Great company, but still room for improvements

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minnetonka, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minnetonka, MN

I have been working at Convey Compliance full-time

Pros

Secure job
    Stable, calculated growth
    Transparent
    Great CEO
    Great product
    company culture
    bonus opportunities

Cons

No flexible hours
    Not an option to work from home
    Poor benefit contributions from the 401K, vacation, and lack of STD.

Oct 29, 2013Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. We perform periodic benefit reviews and will take your feedback into consideration as part of our review process.

Convey has taught me one thing - what NOT to look for in an employer.

I worked at Convey Compliance full-time

Pros

Some of the employees there are truly amazing people. They are truly dedicated to and eager to help. You learn very quickly who you can and cannot trust.

Cons

During the interviewing process they speak of this wonderful culture, but in reality it almost non-existent. There is a lack of organizational structure, making it very hard to truly understand what is expected from you. However, you were expected to take your work home with you - in fact, it was looked down upon when you wouldn't bring your laptop home. During the time I was there, there were no clear guidelines or policies on how to do tasks, making it extremely hard to succeed. It is a very ambiguous environment. If you like clear structure - this is not the place for you. There is extremely high turnover.

Certain people in the core leadership team are not deserving of their positions. They are cold and have really no regard for their employees. Others however are great to work with and make Convey a little better. Set clear expectations.

Oct 29, 2013Human Resources

Thank you for sharing your experiences with Convey. Your feedback is appreciated as we continue to explore how to best meet our Clients’ needs and flexibility needs of our employees.

Worked for Convey Compliance? Contribute to the Community!