Convio

Convio Reviews

Updated Jan 31, 2014

Convio Chairman and CEO Gene Austin

Gene Austin

Great work culture, very family-centric

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery smart people, great facility

ConsOn boarding for new hires was lacking

Best Company I've Ever Worked For!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsGreat management team, great causes, great causes, good vision, good work environment

ConsAs a small public company our growth options were somewhat limited

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't get acquired by Blackbaud

The good, the bad, the ugly

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsPeople are friendly. Work-life balance is very good. Employees are encouraged to volunteer and supported in these efforts.

ConsPoor management across many different departments, and there is blatant cronyism: those who are in the inner circle and those who are not.

Advice to Senior ManagementUp the level of professionalism, especially at the management level, and promote a more open culture.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great way to start a career

QA (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsMy first real career job. I learned most of what I know about SCRUM and Agile there. Great pay. Helpful coworkers and a great motivational boss.

ConsI didn't have many cons. Maybe more office spaces rather than cubes?

It was great while it lasted. Review is for Convio, not Blackbaud.

Senior Web Developer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsCommunity feel, real regard for employees, sense of doing good.

ConsFirst the growing pains of the IPO and then the surprise takeover by blackbaud that changed the entire feel.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your customers, value your employees. Corporate attitude and NPOs don't mix.

Service of Investors

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsConvio had very strong senior leadership, a great mission with a reasonable work/life balance and a well organized workspace with decent benefits and salaries.

ConsThe company tended to be balkanized and highly political. The company always felt that it was solely on a march to get investors paid out. Budgets were squeezed to force teams to make do with less, particularly when it came to supporting customer needs. Middle management was mostly weak and suffered from too many revolving door hires from the local tech scene.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would no longer be relevant since the acquisition by Blackbaud.

Fantastic company to work for

Associate Sales Executive (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsHaving worked for some of the top rated employers in the country (Alcon) and worst, I can say with certainty that Convio was a great company to work for, but is evolving rapidly, to include the workplace dynamic. While there, the company had passed it's early growing pains, but was still family-like in its feel, with fantastic benefits and emphasis put on employee happiness and care. Convio was Now

ConsConvio was recently acquired by Blackbaud, which is sure to change the workplace dynamics and priorities, whether for better or worse.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to hire the best qualified individuals and empower them to perform, rather than hiring the more affordable employees and asking them to conform.

A great group of people to work with

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Austin, TX

ProsI would say that the people there genuinely cared about the non-profit clients they were serving. The place had a positive karma because it indirectly helps clients deliver vital services to their constituencies. That included Katrina hurricane and Haiti earthquake victims as an example.

ConsStock options (the standard at the beginning) have given way to the RSU (restricted stock unit). This is not great for the rank and file, especially since they no longer award them in sufficient numbers to be anything more than a token incentive.

Also, the company was recently acquired by chief competitor BlackBaud. There is no telling what they will do.

Advice to Senior ManagementTech people in Austin have a LOT of options. Don't let all that valuable corporate knowledge and experience just walk out the door.

A mixed bag.

Senior Project Manager (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsConvio supported community service efforts.

ConsSatellite offices were not well managed.

Great place to work

Consultant, Web Development Services (Current Employee) Austin, TX

ProsWorking with worthy nonprofit organizations, plus great coworkers and benefits.

ConsThere has been a lot of internal change recently, making it hard to plan for the future sometimes.

Worked for Convio? Contribute to the Community!