Conviva

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Hui Zhang

Excellence and Humility

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsCoworkers are the highlight in this amazing company. I am constantly in awe of the incredible talent, yet easygoing attitude of everyone. I consider it an honor to be able to learn from such an elite group of people who nevertheless are encouraging and friendly. The combination makes this company a gem in the crowded startup scene.

The work is excellent, and the level of independence given and expected is incredible. It's a learning style unlike any other, and one that is suited only for those who seek their own prize, not for those who cannot function without supervision.

ConsThe office location could be a bit better. It recently had a break-in and the property management did not take any steps to mitigate it. If I was Conviva, I'd be angry at the nonchalance about security.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou are doing things extremely well. I have no complaints and too much praise.

All over the place (in more ways than one)

Pros- Some of the smartest, nicest, most humble people you'll ever work with (at HQ) - no question is ever a stupid question
    - Amazing customer base on both coasts - almost every media company out there speaks to or works with Conviva in some capacity ("all over the place" as a PRO)
    - Kind of flexible hours

Cons- Little to no training for your actual job (except perhaps for engineering?)
    - Sales team is very junior and are honestly not the best people to sell Conviva's products
    - The analytic product seems to want to compete with other more established tools out there - yet Product is slow to move and Sales continues to paint an inaccurate picture to customers about the product's capabilities ("all over the place" as a CON)
    - Priorities fluctuate constantly and there seems to be more emphasis on products, features, and customers that should not take precedence over others ("all over the place" as a CON)
    - Too political for such a small company
    - Low employee morale is almost palpable

Advice to Senior ManagementStick with what you know best instead of trying to be all things to all customers; listen to customer facing teams and take their feedback into consideration. Encourage debate. Ask your employees how they see themselves fitting into the company and getting along with other teams and actually try to foster those goals.

Great Place to Learn High Tech

Sales/Marketing (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsYou work with 25 Comp Sci Phd and with the majority of entertainment studios

ConsBased in San Mateo and management change-up

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully have things together by now

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Engineering Team

ProsGood tech stack.
    Smart people to work with
    Good work-life balance
    Good opportunities to work and grow
    Good sales team

Cons-Work culture is not that great.
    -No personal communication between higher level in the hierarchy and lower level.
    -Start up turning into Cisco like company adding politics, long process and unrelated stress to the employees
    -Improper social communication
    -improper goals and expectations set without any measures of the project.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Unique environment that is backed by an intelligent and highly passionate team. Likely to change the world.

ProsEnvironment that embraces quick advancement; highly intelligent co-workers; family-attitude

ConsStart-up culture that is going through some (expected) growth/changes.

Great stepping stone company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgreat smart people
    the flagship app is a great product

ConsCompany should spend more time in collecting feedback from users

Great company, great challenge, great people.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsMarket leader. Great products. Great assets. Smart (very, very) people. And, of course, free food.
    This company could change the entire industry.

ConsToo many decisions taken based on intuition, which is usually the case for every startup. The company is also very tech-centric when it should be more about service.
    Compensation should be higher.

Advice to Senior ManagementMeasure everything. Have numbers, rather than opinions.

Dynamic Team in Media/Technology Startup Environment

Sales (Current Employee)

ProsConviva is full of strong enthusiastic leadership and has a flat corporate structure.

ConsHard work and typical growth pains that all small companies go through.

Cutting edge technology and great people.

Channel Manager (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ

ProsCutting edge technology with no competitors.
    Very smart, very down to earth members of the company.
    Rapidly growing.
    Management knows everyone and has a genuine interest in feedback and recommendations.

ConsHaven't found any at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on doing what your doing.

Excellent Team and Momentum

ProsExecutive + Engineering Talent is World Class. Excellent Culture.

ConsNo Cons to share thus far.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay Focused. Continue to hire Excellent Talent.

Worked for Conviva? Contribute to the Community!