Conway Office Products

Updated July 21, 2014
Updated July 21, 2014

2.8

Paul Mosley

Best Company I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Document Workflow Consultant

Pros

I enjoy the company culture here. The people are great to work with and there is a team oriented atmosphere where everyone is willing to help each other. The sales training I received was great, much better than any other company I have worked for in the past.

Cons

There really isn't much to complain about, I really like it here. Conway is by far the best company I've ever worked for.

I wish we had more company outings. Instead of every quarter, I wish we could have them monthly.

Great company with exceptional management

Pros

Conway's average tenure is over 15 years with many employee's over 25 years of service at Conway. The reason so many people stay at Conway is obvious. Great pay and benefits, management that understand that there is life outside of work, and an always changing environment.

On the sales team you have the ability to have flexible hours, a company car, cellphone, laptop, as well as immediate vacation and PTO benefits. Conway offers a 401k matching program as well as other benefits brought to the employee through Xerox, its parent company.

The management is very experienced in the industry and wants to help the sales force win business. A lot of times they will go out and sell for the reps in order to help out the team. With any sales job you'll make a ton of money if you sell, if you don't sell, you won't make a ton of money. Its that easy.

Cons

The base compensation for an account manager is fairly low in comparison with the competition however the benefits and commission structure outweigh the lower salary. Its not unheard of for a new account manager to make over $80,000 the first year on the job.

Although Conway does suggest that a company car is available for a new sales rep, unfortunately that is not the case. Be prepared to wait months if not over a year for a car. Conway does offer an auto monthly reimbursement for those not on a company vehicle program yet.

The job is technically 8-5pm however be prepared to work at home to finish up proposals, prepare for meetings, pull together pricing as well as other typical sales work.

Conway Lies to Customers and to Employees

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

Pros

This is my first sales job after college, so it has opened eyes to what really goes on in sales. We get 2 weeks vacation and 40 hrs sick time. We get a laptop and an Iphone.

Cons

Working at Conway is miserable. I hit quota. I am not a bad employee, however the environment tortures my soul.

1. They are dishonest. Remember there is no such thing as a free lunch. They have a very used car sales mentality.

2. They don't hire older men or women or people from different races. The older president was talking about black people just recently like they are not just people-they are black people. There are maybe 2 or 3 women in the sales department.

3. They often make mistakes in your paycheck. Every six months on average something will be missing in my paycheck- a portion of commissions or a spiff I was promised. And the gas they say they cover? I've never been fully reimbursed once. .

4. They say to sell on their service and value, but the truth is their service is not that great. And the sales reps are often never trained on the equipment they sell, so they don't have a clue about what they sell.

5. They change the rules after the contracts are signed and the sales rep is responsible for reselling the value of their product and service to a disgruntled customer who feels tricked. And rightly so! They sales reps aren't even made aware of these changes until they receive a phone call from their customer.

Managers love to change company policy on a whim. When I first started working at Conway, I was told I would receive a company car. I waited and waited and waited until new policy of No more free company car. The start time was 8:15, but a manager decided he wanted to start at 730.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cheap and blind mangement

Current Employee - Document Workflow Consultant

Pros

Great product line and fun people to work with. Conway has a great line of products that can help you win any deal. The health & 401k benefits are very competitive. That's about it for the pro's

Cons

Oh, where to start... The compensation 24k + $400/month travel reimbursement is a JOKE. The commission schedule is even worse. Conway makes sure there is 30% profit on every piece of equipment sold before the rep can make a single dollar. So to win deals a rep is forced to sell deals for very little actual profit for him/herself. You get ZERO vacation for the 1st year, then only 1 week for the years 1-3. Mosley is a dinosaur, but as long as they stay ridiculously profitable (easy when you pay reps so little and charge so much) nothing will change. Great job for just out of college or someone who needs a change for a year or 2. Turn over is really high. In my office there have been 14 people leave in 12 months.

Follow the COTG (Chicago office Technology Group) model and give reps resources. Increase the pay and perhaps you'd get more than 8am-5pm employees. Being lean is great for profit, but reps do not see the profit and get demotivated when you see your peers sell over $1 million in a year and make less than $100k. But then year what a great year the "Company" had.

Old School Sales Position

Pros

- Benefits include 401 (k) with match, health insurance, flexible spending account, dental insurance, and vision insurance.
    - Training Progam (Xerox Teleprospecting for C level appointments) widely recognized and respected.
    - Technicians / Service department have an average of ten (10) years of tenure and are highly respected by the client base.
    - Company provides a laptop and iPhone
    - Strong product line - Xerox and Konica Minolta along with software solutions

Cons

- CRM software is industry specific with very limited mobile functionality (no access to forecasts, client usage information not always accurate)
    - Compensation Plan not competitive (currently 27k base DOE and overall average commission percentage is low)
    - Quotas are not based on historical data or adjusted for trends (I.e. slower months and more profitable months based on over 40 years of data) are are simply a blanket quota for all reps regardless of territory
    - Business gas expenses are only partially reimbursed (Rep business travel expenses to visit clients are largely incurred by the rep)
    - Ongoing training is repeated and repackaged as "new" with a few updates
    - While the initial training focuses on doing a thorough needs analysis to co-author a solution, the old school selling style focused on cold calling rather than networking and building referral channels permeates this organization. Reps are expected to make 150 to 200 calls per week; however, most reps only hit 200 - 250 calls PER MONTH.
    - High turnover in the sales department. Most reps only stay 12 to 18 months before moving to another opportunity. The company has not addressed the "churn and burn" methodology for recruiting sales staff and only the sales management has 10+ years of tenure. The average tenure for reps on the sales team is under two years.

- Update the technology in the office (I.e. use the products being sold) so that reps have easy access to information. The company sells EDM solutions yet does not do it itself - this must change to ensure long term success
    - Increase the base salary to high 30s / low 40s. Other EDM companies pay a base of 45k or 50k, while other sales organizations pay a base of 35k or higher. When reps can not make enough to cover basic living expenses, they will continue to be high turnover in the sales department
    - Award top performers with cash and/or tangible incentives on a quarterly basis rather than a simple verbal recognition. Examples include a meaningful cash bonus or a significant gift card. A top rep out of 50+ reps should get more than an oral "shout out" at the quarterly meetings
    - Increase expense reimbursements. When reps travel thousands of miles to make sales only to receive reimbursement of a few hundred dollars, it is unreasonable and decreases the rep's total compensation
    - When promising a company car to a rep, make it available on the start date and not months and months after start date (this is currently an ongoing issue)
    - Provide training and change the sales methodology so that it is based on networking and client referrals versus cold calling, since 21st Century selling is based on networking and referrals (90% of the sales are from referrals for highly successful reps in other sales organizations).

A diecent first job, nothing more.

Former Employee - Sales Representative  in  Nashua, NH
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Nashua, NH

Pros

Conway is a good place to take as a first job right out of college. You will get the same 25k - 27k base salary as reps that have been there for years. The average total income of a rep is around 50-60k if you really bust your tail. The company does provide a great training program, and immerse you into the industry.They also provide all of their sales reps with a company car (currently a toyota matrix).

Cons

Upper management is extremely frugal, and does not believe in raises, competitive salaries, or much time off. You are extremely micro managed, and are expected to be at your desk from 7:45 am - 5:00pm 5 days a week. Conway is a well run company, but does not provide much support to their sales reps. Reps are expected to sell, and perform all supporting activities on their own (proposal creation, gathering of information, appointment setting, account management, etc.) The CEO, Paul Mosley, use to sell copiers himself 40 years ago - and has maintained the traditional "old school" copier sales person mentality that he runs his company with today. My main concern for Conway is that they do not have any vision for the future, and have an extremely tough time adopting new ideas / adapting to change in the industry. If they did not have such a large exisiting customer base, I am not so sure how profitable they would be.

Adopt new cultural and functional processes / belief systems that reflect 2012, not 1975. Without doing so, I fear that Conway will continue to be stuck in the traditional copier company space, rather than a current day technology company.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

Pros

The people you get to work with are great. The managers are fair and encourage their people to exceed expectations. They typically promote from within and are team oriented. They also have a great sales training program.

Cons

It is a 40 hour work week and you are not allowed to work from your home office. Aside from that, they offer standard benefits.

Frustrating

Pros

Good Location, neat, clean office.

Cons

There is a great deal of favoritism. They changed rules/guidelines as they go. They set you up for failure.

Worked for Conway Office Products? Contribute to the Community!