Cook Children's Health Care System

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick W. Merrill

Working at Cook Children's is a privilege!

Nurse Manager (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsCustomer service oriented
    Wonderful pediatric facility
    Physicians are excellent
    Forward thinking organization

ConsNo EMR for Perioperative/Anesthesia Services

Advice to Senior ManagementLife will be awesome when EMR available for Perioperative Services- Anesthesa where we will optimize collaboration, communication, efficiency, and patient safety.

It has been a very hostile work environment to function in Facilities

Utility Engineer (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsMoney is better than most places right now. Close to home for me. A decent learning experience.

ConsNo team effort. A lot of backstabbing. Unable to trust anyone. Extreme hostile management system which entails fear, threats and intimidation. Way understaffed causing a strain on whole department.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit pointing out a person's mistakes in front of whole group. Nothing worse than belittling your employees in front of everyone. There are managers and lead people but no leadership within this department. Everyone wants to pass the buck.

Cook Children's Medical Center

ACT/Paramedic (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsThe benefits are great compared to other hospitals in the area, and employees generally have smiles on their faces as they walk down the halls. How can you not smile when there are therapy dogs on campus?

ConsThe "office politics" abound, which can make it hard to get ahead. It also takes forever to hear back about transfer requests and applications.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees about needs.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IS is pretty great

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGreat work life balance, good compensation and many good people. I believe in the mission and feel secure in my job. I like going to work and think I'll be here a long time.

ConsIt's political. But if you focus on you, your team, and grow yourself you can achieve a lot. But some people will try to tear you down due to their own insecurity and ineptness. Some people are sweet to your face but will throw you under the bus if it self preserves them.

Advice to Senior ManagementLess politics and focus of quantity of projects and more on staff development and quality of work.

Friendly people, adorable patients, and rewarding work environment.

Unit Secretary (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsThis hospital system values their employees which creates positive morale and a team driven environment. Having a distinguished reputation for extraordinary care and patient outcomes, Cook Children's employees are genuinely proud to work here. Self scheduling (in many areas, though not all) is a big plus. My family relocated to another state. I very much miss this hospital.

ConsHourly pay was competitive, although shift differential for non-clinical staff was very low. I was willing to overlook this, however, because I loved my job.

I have had a good experience working at Cook Childrens

Registered Nurse (Current Employee)

ProsWorking at Cooks is a very rewarding and gratifying experience. You get the opportunity to work with and learn from brilliant minds as well as the satisfaction of knowing that your work makes a difference in the lives of children. The facility is beautiful, benefits options are good and pay is competitive.

ConsCooks is a very political environment and if you allow yourself to get caught up in the politics (which is a requirement if you want to advance) it can suck the life out of you. I left Cooks after 7 years of working in the same department because as I was moving up the ladder in that department senior management was asking me to do things that I did not feel were ethical and the more I stood up for myself and my work ethic, the more I was backed into a corner. So much so that I got extremely burnt out and left Cooks for the same position at a similar company. I missed the environment and people at Cooks so I returned less than a year but to a different department. The management in my current department is night and day different and my manager values my opinions even when they may not align with theirs and I couldn't be happier with my job. I am glad I gave Cooks a second chance.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt is unfortunate that a few people in leadership (in certain department(s) has forced many people to leave the company after going to HR with their concerns only to have them fall on deaf ears. I hope for the sake of the quality of care that the patients are receiving in these departments, that management is re-evaluated and held to higher standards in the future.

Experience at Cook Children's Medical Center

Unit Secretary (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsMiddle managers are awesome. Coworkers are a true team.

ConsRecognition from leadership outside of department is not acknowledged.

Good Place to Work

Supervisor (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGood benefits, good salaries, great cause!

ConsHard to move up, policies bog down progress

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the people when they tell you something. If upper management would heed what is being told to them they could save themselves thousands in turn over and revenue.

Cook Children's is an excellent hospital, but human resources does not protect their employees from abusive supervisors.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsChildren's health and well being is cared for above many hospitals around the nation. They are highly regarded by the parents trusting the hospital to make their children well. The doctors and staff are top notch.

ConsIf you are not a manager or supervisor, depending on the department, you have no say when you have a problem with an abusive supervisor. Cook has a policy of backing the "supervisors 100%" because we have "devoted too much money in them" and the employee is "easily replaceable". When an incidence occurs that needs to be addressed by human resources, you are wasting your breath. Again, some departments have very little problems with it, there is at least 1 department that has an abusive supervisor, which is 1 too many.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be a policy in place that protects the employee from an abusive supervisor. When an employee alerts human resources to an abusive supervisor, there needs to be more of an answer than quoting we "back the supervisor 100%". There are times the supervisor is wrong. I highly recommend everyone who asks that Cook Children's is a great place to work. If they are asking about the department I was in, until this supervisor issue has been resolved the answer will always be no.

Great company with a mission to help children.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGreat company with a mission to help children, good compensation and benefits, senior management listens to employees, great people.

ConsShort staffed in our area resulting in too much work for too few people. Puts stress on existing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to employees. Consider hiring from within for senior-level positions.

Worked for Cook Children's Health Care System? Contribute to the Community!