Cook Children's Health Care System

3.4

Rick W. Merrill

Amazing Organization

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System

Pros

Cook Children's is truly an amazing place to work. They have great benefits, employee perks, and wellness programs. The Cook Children's University Course offerings are also a plus. This organization is always looking to improve. There have been many positive changes to Cook Children's in terms of growth and expansion that are truly exciting. I wish we were more well known nationally because we definitely compare to other top ranked Children's Hospitals in the nation.

Cons

Politics, market assessments of salaries, lack of budget for all levels of staff to go to conferences and other off site educational offerings

Tough place to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

1. The only thing good is the pay but they pay well so you will put up with their BS.
    2. I'm happy I'm not working there anymore!

Cons

A lot of very insecure people working in management and HR. HR backs management as any typical HR department does. Management lies, says one thing and does another. High stress from management which keeps Employees at each other throat because they are afraid they will be fired any minute. Cook run a slim crew so you are loaded up with more work than you can handle. In a nut shell; A very low ball place to work for!

Wouldn't matter what I suggested as this upper management does not care about the workers opinion on anything. But, they should listen to what is suggested as the place is right on the edge of having some catastrophic failures in several departments. But hey what do I know?

Very Employee Centric!

Current Employee - Information Services in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Information Services in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (more than an year)

Pros

All team members are encouraged to "walk the talk" focusing on the Promise, Mission and Values. Leadership frequently recognizes that the organization and facility are great because of the people. Leadership cares, listens to suggestions and really tries to incorporate feedback into making change when possible.

Cons

It is a 24x7x365 environment and it can be difficult at times to achieve a work/life balance. Leadership and management try to work with team members so there is some flexibility, but at the end of the day, a hospital does at times require team members to "step up" and work some additional hours. If you are strictly a, "come to work, get a check" mentality, you won't be happy here. Have to be about something beyond yourself to succeed.

Review compensation and realign pay rates/ranges to become more in line with current cost of living. Continue to actively solicit employee feedback and use it when possible. Continue to be employee centric.

Great culture but management is out of the loop.

Current Employee - Social Worker in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Social Worker in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Staff members on the front line are generally happy to be at work. The staff you work with daily has your back and will go above and beyond to help. The facility is amazing-starbuck's, chick-fll-a, etc.

Cons

The Directors and Managers have no idea what it is like to work with the patient population because they sit behind a desk all day. The facility looks amazing inside & outside; however the population served is more than 1/2 Medicaid. There is an unrealistic expectation that social workers can fix everything-by staff and families. Many families arrive with their hands out expecting to be fed, clothed and given gas money to get home. Instead staff need to empower the families to care for their sick child the best they can.

It's easy to sit behind a desk in your office and tell us how to do our job. Why don't you try covering the floor, ER or another patient area to see what we deal with on a daily basis.

Abusive

Current Employee - OR Nurse in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - OR Nurse in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great Experience
    A few good people
    Average work place
    Top doctors
    Average ER

Cons

OR Manager discriminates against male emloyees
    Abusive Environment
    Director and HR do not listen to employees about issues
    They use techs for less than two months for work during busy times and then fire
    Sexual harrasment of male employees
    Racial discrimination
    Bad Nurses

There is a limited supply of people with the skills and you are running all of them out. Soon no one will wish to work for you. My father has started already a campaign with the donors to start pulling financial support from the charity.
    You have no regard for your employees and foster a hostile environment I will engage an employment attorney.

Working at Cook Children's is a privilege!

Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time

Pros

Customer service oriented
    Wonderful pediatric facility
    Physicians are excellent
    Forward thinking organization

Cons

No EMR for Perioperative/Anesthesia Services

Life will be awesome when EMR available for Perioperative Services- Anesthesa where we will optimize collaboration, communication, efficiency, and patient safety.

IS is pretty great

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Great work life balance, good compensation and many good people. I believe in the mission and feel secure in my job. I like going to work and think I'll be here a long time.

Cons

It's political. But if you focus on you, your team, and grow yourself you can achieve a lot. But some people will try to tear you down due to their own insecurity and ineptness. Some people are sweet to your face but will throw you under the bus if it self preserves them.

Less politics and focus of quantity of projects and more on staff development and quality of work.

Cook Children's Medical Center

Current Employee - ACT/Paramedic in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - ACT/Paramedic in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

The benefits are great compared to other hospitals in the area, and employees generally have smiles on their faces as they walk down the halls. How can you not smile when there are therapy dogs on campus?

Cons

The "office politics" abound, which can make it hard to get ahead. It also takes forever to hear back about transfer requests and applications.

Listen to your employees about needs.

I have had a good experience working at Cook Childrens

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

Pros

Working at Cooks is a very rewarding and gratifying experience. You get the opportunity to work with and learn from brilliant minds as well as the satisfaction of knowing that your work makes a difference in the lives of children. The facility is beautiful, benefits options are good and pay is competitive.

Cons

Cooks is a very political environment and if you allow yourself to get caught up in the politics (which is a requirement if you want to advance) it can suck the life out of you. I left Cooks after 7 years of working in the same department because as I was moving up the ladder in that department senior management was asking me to do things that I did not feel were ethical and the more I stood up for myself and my work ethic, the more I was backed into a corner. So much so that I got extremely burnt out and left Cooks for the same position at a similar company. I missed the environment and people at Cooks so I returned less than a year but to a different department. The management in my current department is night and day different and my manager values my opinions even when they may not align with theirs and I couldn't be happier with my job. I am glad I gave Cooks a second chance.

It is unfortunate that a few people in leadership (in certain department(s) has forced many people to leave the company after going to HR with their concerns only to have them fall on deaf ears. I hope for the sake of the quality of care that the patients are receiving in these departments, that management is re-evaluated and held to higher standards in the future.

Experience at Cook Children's Medical Center

Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Middle managers are awesome. Coworkers are a true team.

Cons

Recognition from leadership outside of department is not acknowledged.