Cook Children's Health Care System

Updated February 28, 2015
Updated February 28, 2015
3.5

Rick W. Merrill

Amazing experience - such an excellent workplace

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, passionate, fun, excellent environment. Very creative place. Trustworthy. They place an immense value on their employees- you can tell they really care about people. I was an intern and my boss did everything she could to give me a meaningful experience - it wasn't just about what they could get out of me. Incredible opportunity & I learned so much. Everyone is so focused on doing an excellent job so they can help kids!! Also, they have dogs!

Cons

Hard to think of many. Difficult to get in - very competitive and employees don't leave once they get a good spot.

Cook is the most amazing workplace. Absolutely magical.

Former Intern - Nurse Extern
    Former Intern - Nurse Extern

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing experience, friendly staff, wonderful opportunities for learning and growth

Cons

None! It is excellent in my opinion.

A great place to work.

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cook Children's is really a terrific place to work. The environment is warm and welcoming, the benefits are good, and the mission is more than a statement.

Cons

The compensation is on the lower end of the regional spectrum.

Some of us have been dedicated to Cook Children's for a long time. While market analyses are doing well to become more competitive to those coming into the system, the current promotion structure has forced some of your most loyal employees into the lower (if not bottom) of the range. It would be nice to re-evaluate individuals in positions who are at the lowest end of the scale in an effort to retain current employees.

Amazing Organization

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System

Pros

Cook Children's is truly an amazing place to work. They have great benefits, employee perks, and wellness programs. The Cook Children's University Course offerings are also a plus. This organization is always looking to improve. There have been many positive changes to Cook Children's in terms of growth and expansion that are truly exciting. I wish we were more well known nationally because we definitely compare to other top ranked Children's Hospitals in the nation.

Cons

Politics, market assessments of salaries, lack of budget for all levels of staff to go to conferences and other off site educational offerings

Working at Cook Children's is a privilege!

Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time

Pros

Customer service oriented
    Wonderful pediatric facility
    Physicians are excellent
    Forward thinking organization

Cons

No EMR for Perioperative/Anesthesia Services

Life will be awesome when EMR available for Perioperative Services- Anesthesa where we will optimize collaboration, communication, efficiency, and patient safety.

Friendly people, adorable patients, and rewarding work environment.

Former Employee - Unit Secretary in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Unit Secretary in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

This hospital system values their employees which creates positive morale and a team driven environment. Having a distinguished reputation for extraordinary care and patient outcomes, Cook Children's employees are genuinely proud to work here. Self scheduling (in many areas, though not all) is a big plus. My family relocated to another state. I very much miss this hospital.

Cons

Hourly pay was competitive, although shift differential for non-clinical staff was very low. I was willing to overlook this, however, because I loved my job.

Great company with a mission to help children.

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great company with a mission to help children, good compensation and benefits, senior management listens to employees, great people.

Cons

Short staffed in our area resulting in too much work for too few people. Puts stress on existing employees.

Continue to listen to employees. Consider hiring from within for senior-level positions.

This was one of the best organizations I have ever worked for.

Current Employee - Rehabilitation Technician in Hurst, TX
    Current Employee - Rehabilitation Technician in Hurst, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It was a very team-oriented environment. I never felt like a "second class citizen" to the therapists. They all treated me with respect. It's definitely a place you have to earn that respect by working hard.

Cons

I cannot think of any.

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

The work environment is fun because it's all done for the kids! The people are great because they want to make a difference in children's lives

Cons

Some of the stories will break your heart

loved this company

Former Employee - Nicu Secretary in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Nicu Secretary in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They cared about thier employees,

Cons

i don't really have any cons