Cook Children's Health Care System

Updated Jun 23, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Rick W. Merrill

Working at Cook Children's is a privilege!

Nurse Manager (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsCustomer service oriented
    Wonderful pediatric facility
    Physicians are excellent
    Forward thinking organization

ConsNo EMR for Perioperative/Anesthesia Services

Advice to Senior ManagementLife will be awesome when EMR available for Perioperative Services- Anesthesa where we will optimize collaboration, communication, efficiency, and patient safety.

Friendly people, adorable patients, and rewarding work environment.

Unit Secretary (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsThis hospital system values their employees which creates positive morale and a team driven environment. Having a distinguished reputation for extraordinary care and patient outcomes, Cook Children's employees are genuinely proud to work here. Self scheduling (in many areas, though not all) is a big plus. My family relocated to another state. I very much miss this hospital.

ConsHourly pay was competitive, although shift differential for non-clinical staff was very low. I was willing to overlook this, however, because I loved my job.

Great company with a mission to help children.

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGreat company with a mission to help children, good compensation and benefits, senior management listens to employees, great people.

ConsShort staffed in our area resulting in too much work for too few people. Puts stress on existing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to employees. Consider hiring from within for senior-level positions.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This was one of the best organizations I have ever worked for.

Rehabilitation Technician (Current Employee) Hurst, TX

ProsIt was a very team-oriented environment. I never felt like a "second class citizen" to the therapists. They all treated me with respect. It's definitely a place you have to earn that respect by working hard.

ConsI cannot think of any.

Gave me the opportunity to learn a lot in an environment that was welcoming throughout my department and the industry

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe work environment is fun because it's all done for the kids! The people are great because they want to make a difference in children's lives

ConsSome of the stories will break your heart

loved this company

Nicu Secretary (Former Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsThey cared about thier employees,

Consi don't really have any cons

Very professional place to work

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

Prosgreat work environment, very friendly staff, very giving, understanding, determined, hard working, caring, flexible, lots of support, good benefits, employee recognition

Consdepending on your manager trying to get some time off is hard and an extreamly big deal, but again its just depending on the manager

Advice to Senior Managementsometimes certain managers listen only to other managers or higher up people and dont even bother with getiing input from employees

Good place to work.

Medical Techhnologist (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsGood employee morale, management cares about the employees. Has work functions like picnics and barbeques. Has given out Wal-Mart gift cards at Christmas the las few years.

ConsCurrently the hospital is under construction. Parking is limited. Not all employees get parking garage access. Not very many security officers

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees and take their advice on improvements to the hospital. Keep giving out those wal mart gift cards!

worker satisfaction

Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee)

Prosautonomy and, support system are strong

Consstarting salary and cost of living increase slow to come

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be competitive by staying with current salaries offered

Cook Children's Medical Center, the best working environment in the healthcare industry.

ACT - Paramedic (Current Employee) Fort Worth, TX

ProsCook Children's is an excellent place to work. One of the best reasons I enjoy being employed by CCMC is the comraderie among employees. I work in the ED, so it may be different on other floors, but the staff in our unit gets along extremely well. I can not think of one person I do not enjoy working with, and I have never been able to say that about any job I have ever had. Upper level management is visible and accessible, however not to the point of smothering the employee, or appearing to "watch over one's shoulder." Typically no more than about ten days pass between when someone from administration will ask me if I have all of the resources I need to do my job, if there are any process improvements I think could be made. The final question they always ask is how I am PERSONALLY doing. That is a pretty impressive and important question in my opinion, and one that is rarely asked by the administration in other healthcare facilities I have worked at. Being that we see a fair amount of sad cases come through the ED, not all of which have a positive outcome, it is easy to get beaten down sometimes. It is nice to know management and administration care. I have also see many of the suggestions that have been given to management put into action, so it makes the staff feel good that they are not only being heard, but actually being "listened" too. The hospital also gives out gifts almost every quarter for nurses appreciation week, staff birthdays etc. Last year all full time staff got a $500.00 Wal Mart gift card, and part timers got a $250.00 card. The cards were given for no reason other than that the administration really appreciated our hard work and dedication, it was as simple as that. I thought that was really amazing.

The administration has a "blameless" environment attitude towards near misses and other occurrences. This means that unless you were grossly negligent, the hospital will try to fix the reason that the mistake was made, not necessarily punish the person that made it. It also encourages staff to speak up about near misses so process improvements can be made and implemented.

It is easy to find cliquish groups, especially in the healthcare setting. This is not the case at CCMC. Everyone works together and management promotes a "It's all about the kids" approach to patient centered care and environment. This goes a long way to keep the staff "job focused" and conflict free.

ConsThe only downside as of late has been staffing shortages. This is not problem specific to this hospital either, it is nationwide. Management has been trying very creative ways to recruit new staff and retain them, so it is clear that they see the problem and are responding to it. The issue isn't retention so much, but it is the fact that the hospital is growing to keep pace with the size of the community, and they can't seem to find staff fast enough to keep pace. It has been getting better however, and they are still working on the permanent solution.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have a lot of feedback for the administration. This may be primarily because once every ten or so days I have a chance to give it directly to administration when they round in our unit. All of the main issues that are present have been recognized by the management and administration and are being actively worked on. My primary feedback would most likely be "Thank you."

Worked for Cook Children's Health Care System? Contribute to the Community!