Cook Children's Health Care System

Rick W. Merrill

Abusive

Current Employee - OR Nurse  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - OR Nurse in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Great Experience
    A few good people
    Average work place
    Top doctors
    Average ER

Cons

OR Manager discriminates against male emloyees
    Abusive Environment
    Director and HR do not listen to employees about issues
    They use techs for less than two months for work during busy times and then fire
    Sexual harrasment of male employees
    Racial discrimination
    Bad Nurses

There is a limited supply of people with the skills and you are running all of them out. Soon no one will wish to work for you. My father has started already a campaign with the donors to start pulling financial support from the charity.
    You have no regard for your employees and foster a hostile environment I will engage an employment attorney.

Unit Secretary

Current Employee - Unit Secretary  in  For (Norway)
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in For (Norway)

Pros

AMAZING place to work. People are fantastic, benefits are good especially if you are continuing your education, and you are making a difference in children's lives.

Cons

The only con I can come up with is the pay is on the lower end of the position in the hospital district. I wish they were more competitive. Also it is true what other people have said, It's Political!

Training - work on finding trainers that truly love there job and want to improve upon current expectations. Trainers that are complacent tend to train other complacent individuals.

It has been a very hostile work environment to function in Facilities

Current Employee - Utility Engineer  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Utility Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Money is better than most places right now. Close to home for me. A decent learning experience.

Cons

No team effort. A lot of backstabbing. Unable to trust anyone. Extreme hostile management system which entails fear, threats and intimidation. Way understaffed causing a strain on whole department.

Quit pointing out a person's mistakes in front of whole group. Nothing worse than belittling your employees in front of everyone. There are managers and lead people but no leadership within this department. Everyone wants to pass the buck.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Working at Cook Children's is a privilege!

Current Employee - Nurse Manager  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Nurse Manager in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Customer service oriented
    Wonderful pediatric facility
    Physicians are excellent
    Forward thinking organization

Cons

No EMR for Perioperative/Anesthesia Services

Life will be awesome when EMR available for Perioperative Services- Anesthesa where we will optimize collaboration, communication, efficiency, and patient safety.

I have had a good experience working at Cook Childrens

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

Pros

Working at Cooks is a very rewarding and gratifying experience. You get the opportunity to work with and learn from brilliant minds as well as the satisfaction of knowing that your work makes a difference in the lives of children. The facility is beautiful, benefits options are good and pay is competitive.

Cons

Cooks is a very political environment and if you allow yourself to get caught up in the politics (which is a requirement if you want to advance) it can suck the life out of you. I left Cooks after 7 years of working in the same department because as I was moving up the ladder in that department senior management was asking me to do things that I did not feel were ethical and the more I stood up for myself and my work ethic, the more I was backed into a corner. So much so that I got extremely burnt out and left Cooks for the same position at a similar company. I missed the environment and people at Cooks so I returned less than a year but to a different department. The management in my current department is night and day different and my manager values my opinions even when they may not align with theirs and I couldn't be happier with my job. I am glad I gave Cooks a second chance.

It is unfortunate that a few people in leadership (in certain department(s) has forced many people to leave the company after going to HR with their concerns only to have them fall on deaf ears. I hope for the sake of the quality of care that the patients are receiving in these departments, that management is re-evaluated and held to higher standards in the future.

IS is pretty great

Current Employee - Business Analyst  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Great work life balance, good compensation and many good people. I believe in the mission and feel secure in my job. I like going to work and think I'll be here a long time.

Cons

It's political. But if you focus on you, your team, and grow yourself you can achieve a lot. But some people will try to tear you down due to their own insecurity and ineptness. Some people are sweet to your face but will throw you under the bus if it self preserves them.

Less politics and focus of quantity of projects and more on staff development and quality of work.

Cook Children's Medical Center

Current Employee - ACT/Paramedic  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - ACT/Paramedic in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

The benefits are great compared to other hospitals in the area, and employees generally have smiles on their faces as they walk down the halls. How can you not smile when there are therapy dogs on campus?

Cons

The "office politics" abound, which can make it hard to get ahead. It also takes forever to hear back about transfer requests and applications.

Listen to your employees about needs.

Friendly people, adorable patients, and rewarding work environment.

Former Employee - Unit Secretary  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Unit Secretary in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

This hospital system values their employees which creates positive morale and a team driven environment. Having a distinguished reputation for extraordinary care and patient outcomes, Cook Children's employees are genuinely proud to work here. Self scheduling (in many areas, though not all) is a big plus. My family relocated to another state. I very much miss this hospital.

Cons

Hourly pay was competitive, although shift differential for non-clinical staff was very low. I was willing to overlook this, however, because I loved my job.

Experience at Cook Children's Medical Center

Current Employee - Unit Secretary  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Unit Secretary in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Middle managers are awesome. Coworkers are a true team.

Cons

Recognition from leadership outside of department is not acknowledged.

Good Place to Work

Current Employee - Supervisor  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

Good benefits, good salaries, great cause!

Cons

Hard to move up, policies bog down progress

Listen to the people when they tell you something. If upper management would heed what is being told to them they could save themselves thousands in turn over and revenue.

Worked for Cook Children's Health Care System? Contribute to the Community!