Cook Children's Health Care System Reviews

Updated March 24, 2015
41 reviews filtered by
3.7
Rick W. Merrill

1. Great work environment with flexible hours.

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System

Pros

Office is pretty informal setting. The work culture is healthy and conducive for personal and company growth.

Cons

Have to travel quite a lot from one building to another.

can be a fun place to work

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pay is good. Countless educational opportunities. Working in a children's hospital means lots of perks, like having a decent food court, a build-a-bear, friendly dogs wandering the campus, clowns, celebrities... Most employees are genuinely happy working here.

Cons

attendance policy is brutal. Hard to save up for vacation time. Training was not always optimal. Outdated EMR. Parking garages are awful.

Continue to offer opportunities for growth. Listen to feedback from employees, especially if you are hearing the same thing over and over again. Please look into Epic!

3. Amazing experience - such an excellent workplace

Former Intern - Summer Intern in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Intern - Summer Intern in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great people, passionate, fun, excellent environment. Very creative place. Trustworthy. They place an immense value on their employees- you can tell they really care about people. I was an intern and my boss did everything she could to give me a meaningful experience - it wasn't just about what they could get out of me. Incredible opportunity & I learned so much. Everyone is so focused on doing an excellent job so they can help kids!! Also, they have dogs!

Cons

Hard to think of many. Difficult to get in - very competitive and employees don't leave once they get a good spot.

5. Decent place to work

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System

Pros

Small time atmosphere- big time organization

Cons

Benefits are starting to erode- slowly.

6. Cook is the most amazing workplace. Absolutely magical.

Former Intern - Nurse Extern
    Former Intern - Nurse Extern

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Amazing experience, friendly staff, wonderful opportunities for learning and growth

Cons

None! It is excellent in my opinion.

7. Cook Childrens is a fabulous place to work!

Former Employee - PAs in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - PAs in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System

Pros

The whole work experience and atmosphere of the medical center makes this a very positive work environment.

Cons

Lack of knowledge by management, to become familiar with certain areas of department and unwillingness to accept feedback from employees (patient registration dept in particular)

Become more familiar with your employees and pay attention to their opinions!

8. The good, bad, and the ugly.

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System

Pros

Very caring environment for the children, benefits are great, and most of the people make it a welcoming environment to work in.

Cons

Management is focused on getting the job done with limited hands on deck adding extra work on the already stressed shoulders of their employees.

Hire enough people so your not overworking and stressing out staff

A great place to work.

Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Fort Worth, TX

I have been working at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cook Children's is really a terrific place to work. The environment is warm and welcoming, the benefits are good, and the mission is more than a statement.

Cons

The compensation is on the lower end of the regional spectrum.

Some of us have been dedicated to Cook Children's for a long time. While market analyses are doing well to become more competitive to those coming into the system, the current promotion structure has forced some of your most loyal employees into the lower (if not bottom) of the range. It would be nice to re-evaluate individuals in positions who are at the lowest end of the scale in an effort to retain current employees.

10. Tough place to work for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System full-time (more than a year)

Pros

1. The only thing good is the pay but they pay well so you will put up with their dribble.
    2. I'm happy I'm not working there anymore!

Cons

A lot of very insecure people working in upper ranks. Upper level employees lie, says one thing and does another. High stress from upper level keeps lower file employees at each other throat because they are afraid they will be fired any minute. They run a slim crew so you are loaded up with more work than you can handle. In a nut shell; A very hard place to work for!

Wouldn't matter what I suggested as this upper level does not care about the workers opinion on anything. But, they should listen to what is suggested as the place is right on the edge of having some catastrophic failures in several departments. But hey, what do I know?

Amazing Organization

I worked at Cook Children's Health Care System

Pros

Cook Children's is truly an amazing place to work. They have great benefits, employee perks, and wellness programs. The Cook Children's University Course offerings are also a plus. This organization is always looking to improve. There have been many positive changes to Cook Children's in terms of growth and expansion that are truly exciting. I wish we were more well known nationally because we definitely compare to other top ranked Children's Hospitals in the nation.

Cons

Politics, market assessments of salaries, lack of budget for all levels of staff to go to conferences and other off site educational offerings