Cook County State's Attorney

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Law Clerk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cook County State's Attorney

ProsInteresting work and State's Attorneys worked had and were very competent and good at their jobs. Fast paced and hard workers.

ConsAttorneys were over worked and had to come in nights and weekends in order to get the job done. They also felt that they were underpaid.

Great experience

Assistant State's Attorney (Former Employee)

I worked at Cook County State's Attorney full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat opportunity to work with some of the country's best trial lawyers. Excellent camaraderie working with other prosecutors, and I learned a LOT. Good way to get a lot of trial experience and feel good about going to work every day.

ConsCompensation is not enough to pay student loans or raise a family. Too many good prosecutors have to leave for financial reasons.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your people better. It's a great job. They want to stay.

worst place to work

Assistant State's Attorney (Former Employee)

I worked at Cook County State's Attorney full-time

Prosyou uphold the laws of the state so you are making a contribution to society, however big or small

Cons- low pay
- no support staff because there is no money (and too much govt red tape to hire those that are continuing to leave)
- no attorney development or mentoring
- older attorneys show overt dislike toward new attorneys
- promotions are not based on talent or merit; only can get promoted if someone above you get promoted and so on; so if at the 5th or 6th year level there is not room, everyone below suffers
- no investment in young attorneys
- will work more hours than attorneys who are compensated 3x; work life balance is atrocious

Advice to Senior Managementstop treating employees as disposable

There is no such thing as prosecutorial discretion....

Assistant State's Attorney (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cook County State's Attorney full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get some of the best experience that you can get. If you love doing trials and watching the best attorneys do trials this is the right office for you! You will never be shortchanged in this aspect. You will learn and do!

ConsIf the states attorney is in the news for anything negative, a line assistant states attorney is going to be punished. Anita Alvarez and her supervisors are only out for themselves. They do not have the backs of their employees. They take the easy road even when hard decisions have to be made. They demote you to the point that you want to quit if you do something wrong. Employee morale is down across the entire office. Employee morale was higher when the pink slips came out then it is right now.

Satisfying

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Cook County State's Attorney

ProsGain leadership experience, great place to have on your resume, great office staff interaction.

ConsIt's a huge place for gossip

Great Experience

I have been working at Cook County State's Attorney

ProsOne of the best places to gain valuable experience in a relatively short period of time. Pay is not great but benefits are good.

ConsThere are a substantial amount of people vying for the same promotion. there are a ton of lifers that will relinquish their jobs only when they retire (or expire).

It once was a great place to work. Not anymore.

Cook County Assistant State's Attorney's Office (Former Employee)

I worked at Cook County State's Attorney

ProsExcellent Trial Experience. You have the opportunity to try real cases from the beginning of your career. Traffic Court is a great starting ground.

ConsMicro management. Much favoritism given to the good old boys...... Now you have to constantly worry about being fired. People are being treated like they are disposable.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that people have families and lives. They have bills to pay and children to raise. Expecting people on Felony Review to drive from the South Suburbs to the North Suburbs is ridiculous.

Worked for Cook County State's Attorney? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cook County State's Attorney reviews and ratings. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Cook County State's Attorney employees.