Cook Medical Inc

Updated November 19, 2014
Updated November 19, 2014
3.3

Carl Cook

Pros
  • Great work/life balance; minimal amount of micromanagement (in 13 reviews)

• Job security - Cook has never laid off people due to down economy (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Low pay seem to micro manage your day (in 5 reviews)

• Maybe it is different with the hourly employees, but I don't know (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work!

I have been working at Cook Medical Inc full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The culture at this company is amazing. Their focus on patience is truly evident in everything that they do

Cons

It would be great if more training opportunities were available.

Really good BI exposure

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Specialist in Bloomington, IN
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Specialist in Bloomington, IN

I have been working at Cook Medical Inc as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

- Exposure to BI and dashboarding tools
    - Knowledge of SAP BO tools
    - Good team to work with. People are friendly and helpful. Good worklife balance

Cons

- Slow and not very challenging in terms of new projects
    -Not many fulltime opportunities

Needs improvement

I have been working at Cook Medical Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to learn a lot first job out of college.

Cons

Not a lot of growth opportunities, could get paid more somewhere else.

Pay people more and you won't have such a large turn around.

Internship Review

I worked at Cook Medical Inc

Pros

Great Place to Work, lotta fun

Cons

None, a great work environment and cohesion

Ready Fire Aim

Former Employee - Marketing
    Former Employee - Marketing

I worked at Cook Medical Inc full-time

Pros

The people I met while working, great work life balance

Cons

Managers in some positions are only there because nobody else wanted the job or they are someone's favorite, not necessarily the right person for the job. Pay is way low compared to other companies we compete against

Get people management training before putting a person in a management role

Cook Intern

I worked at Cook Medical Inc as an intern

Pros

Job security, flat hierarchy, friendly colleagues. They talk a lot about how being privately held means that they can better serve patients.

Cons

Cook is behind on technology. Sales reps and marketing folks don't have the resources to do their jobs well. It seems like many don't do much work during the day, little accountability.

Incredible Job Security in a Stale and Mismanaged Environment

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Cook Medical Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There really are so many positives for this company, but keep in mind it depends on what you are looking for. Almost too incredible job security (some people who should be fired are just moved around) but if you do your job and are motivated you will have wild success. Highly entrepreneurial company so be prepared to wear many hats and learn new roles which will give you tons of great business and marketing experience. If you enjoy a wide variety of personality and work types then you will succeed here- so much variation in managing and leadership. Great benefits: health care coverage is awesome, PTO is decent (many managers are more relaxed), very little working OT depending on your role, lots of work perks with travel and collaborations. Frankly, I grew a ton here. Learned what I want from an employer and equally important what I don't want. Met some great people who I am still close friends with and I was lucky to have some great bosses and a lot of flexibility.

Cons

Location is not the best, small college town Indiana. If you are new to the area you may get bored with the area after a year- if you are coming from a large city you might be devastated. Midwest mentality is huge here, so if you are married or getting married (not many singles here- except right out of college) or want good schools for your kids and are ready to settle down somewhere quiet and safe- you will love this town and this company. Within the company there is such poor communication among managers, projects move at a glacial pace. And unfortunately in my experience so many of my projects were talked about then inevitably killed. I heard from colleagues in other departments that this was true for them as well. Sometimes I wondered how anything got done it seemed like planning was just a facade. But if you enjoy fighting the good fight- have at it. Also, people talk here...a lot....its basically high school. Marketing changes its mind daily and the company "restructures the brand" every 4 years...no joke. They also live and die by the "brand" and the brand is so dry, clinical and corporate. If you enjoy creativity you will get burnt out after 2 years. In the past two years, with the help of a few individuals they have started to loosen up a bit more, at least within marketing. But turnover is still high and really the company mentality will never change, they are trapped in there own bubble. Again, lots of positives (especially right out of school) and a good helping of negatives. It's really about what you want.

The management needs to get on the same page and actually communicate with each other. Get rid of the managers people have complained about for years (there really is a reason why they are complained about). And instead of bringing in new people all the time to make 'new roles' just clarify what needs to really be done and clearly communicate that to the people who it concerns. The constant shuffling of people is not always a good thing-very inefficient. And you've got to find ways to boost the morale and keep the younger employees involved.

This place is good if your in a small town fresh from high school or if you are desperate for a job.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Cook Medical Inc

Pros

Smaller company. Privately owned.

Cons

Horrible pay compared to others in area. Management is brought in by not what they know but who they know. A lot of high school drama even with management.

Should look more into the quality of work and not trying to see every second someone is wiping their noses or using restroom. If you were more worried about get materials than that might get something out. Oh and learn to respect your employees. They are the ones that do it all...

very dissapointing

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Cook Medical Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Private company ... great mantra

Cons

don't walk there talk ... Limited views on business

Boys club

Good learning opportunity

Former Employee - Sales in Bloomington, IN
    Former Employee - Sales in Bloomington, IN

I worked at Cook Medical Inc full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Several divisions are growing so there is always a new opportunity. Expanding into developing markets which also provides opportunities to work abroad..

Cons

Corporate is in a remote location. Cook has a hard time attracting top talent. Salaries are very low.

People in leadership must be worth following. There are several senior managers that are not fit for their role. Compensation should be revised for several positions, salaries are not competitive with industry peers.