Cook Pharmica

Updated Jun 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tedd M. Green

A solid career path for those who are dedicated

Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsI have been here 4 years and have never once been unimpressed with the cleanliness of the grounds.
    The people are AMMAZING!
    The pay is good for the area. Industry standard does not technically apply to a "Right to work" state, do your homework before complaining about wages. I get a raise every year.
    Management listens.

ConsI would like more time off and a more predictable schedule.
    Our company rewards behaviour and performance, supervisors need to say this directly to staff. Whiners get nothing and they need to be told so.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep listening and keep up the great work!

The work was great, the culture was terrible

Assistant Scientist (Former Employee)

ProsIt was a good place to get experience and the pay was really good. Health insurance and other benefits were also pretty good. Time off was pretty flexible and easy to use.

ConsCoworkers were very gossipy and management only fostered or in some cases started it. Often salaried employees are taken advantage of concerning numbers of hours worked.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let lower management get away with promoting bad behaviors among the employees that report to them.

Little people don't matter.

Lab Manager (Former Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsOn the surface it seems like a great place to work. Friendly co-workers, good cafeteria, nice work environment.

ConsManagement does not care about employees. Time clock system is horrible. Bad raises, everyone is very stressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees the way you want to be treated. Think about compensating employees what they are worth. Follow Bill Cook's philosophy.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

HR pads reviews on this site to bump ratings.

Current Employee (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsEverything that was said before, cleanliness, cutting edge equipment, etc etc etc. Most of the people you work with are pretty cool.

ConsLook at the negative reviews, everything you need to know. They do underpay people, there is a double standard. The other person said it well, if you can be taken advantage of, they will. Then they pat themselves on the back for operating with integrity and conscience. And how did this other reviewer know what someone makes? And love the attacking someone giving an honest assessment of their treatment. Real professional. Makes a great impression to people reading this I'm sure.

Advice to Senior ManagementEveryone has said it to you before. You more than know what you have to fix to be the company you promote yourself to be in these reviews.

Oh and you should do your research instead of just using talking points before posting. A right to work state means you don't have to join a union or pay dues. If you are suggesting we need one to get better pay because you won't voluntarily do it yourself well thanks for the idea. =)

Cutting edge facilities with a wide open community!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsClean, organized manufacturing area. Order respected by most employees.

Management helps champion worker's ideas.

Support departments are responsive and attentive to the needs of production.

ConsThe hiring process needs refined. More attention paid to the potential hire's social/emotional wellbeing before being offerred a job.

I have gotten the distinct impression that there are those who have lied on their resume in order to work here.

Very little recourse for employees when targeted by harassment.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see better mentorship.

Good Coworkers, Good humor.

Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsWhen I started at Cook a year ago I will admit I was unsure. I had heard that whereas it was diverse and inclusive, it's production practices could be backwards and counter productive.
    I, myself am a clown. I love to laugh, have fun and above all, feel appreciated. I can do exactly this in an industry that isn't really known for "fun". The management comes from all walks of life with their own unique style and preference. This was quite the off-put when I started but now I understand. We have the chance to use our broad spectrum of people to really become a solution oriented company in a challenge riddled industry.

The people are all kind hearted no matter how gruff or abrasive they act. This is after all manufacturing. At the end of the day everyone genuinely wants to get the job done. There are very few 1upsmen and they do not get very far because of the laid back atmosphere.

ConsI see the slow and predictable shift to a disciplinary based management vs an incentive based one. When it is all said and done, I can't blame them. We are embarking on a chapter that begs real solid performance from the worker and too many of them have become used to enjoying their downtime. There is a climate where some feel they ought to be paid more before they do more, in essence holding their productivity for ransom. If you want more quit complaining to others who are enjoying their employment and go prove yourself or leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementI tell those who read the reviews, "Please believe the hype"! You are making good solid choices for the company and are maturing it past a 'Start Up'. We are seeing the development of something spectacular. I can only ask that you make a strong effort to provide a path for progressive compensation based on qualification in ADDITION to the yearly fixed rate raises.

Primed to be a GLOBAL producer.

Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsI have been here for awhile now and can say that I haven't been happier in a production job. Supervision allows you to carryout tasks and let you get the job done, using your personal experience and skills. There are people that hail from so many other places in the industry that there is ALWAYS a solution to be offered by some one. The communication between Technical Services and the Manufacturing Associates is the tightest knit I have ever seen and I am happy that the clients get to come and see!

ConsNot much moderation of the internal culture. Direct management needs to take the lead in role modeling interaction and team participation as well as assert themselves onto those whose attitudes are counterproductive. I understand there are those who are unhappy with their lot in life but that is more the fault of the individual's personal choices and less the company's policy or wages.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe chain of command needs honored. It has been rumored that it doesn't exist but I disagree. Beginners are some times given license to run with a sense of authority before they actually learn the norms in this industry. This is something that could be handled tactfully and firmly without any intentional offense being caused. There has been a fair amount of turnover in my department and I would like to see some of the newcomers shown that they are coming to an established company vs some where they are expect to re-invent something we just re-invented.

A company built on a safe bet.

Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsBill Cook founded his company being guided by the principal that if you do the right thing an treat everyone who is involved with fair excellence you can and will succeed! This company adheres to this notion well. We have a curiously diverse group of people who strive to give our company a one of a kind feeling that I have not experienced in any other place. Prior reviews have focus on very cliche aspects of their employment. Being "Over worked and underpaid" makes for a good Country Song title but does nothing to adequately describe the true climate of this company. There are requests put on new/recent hires to work extra when the need arises and more importantly when they are ready. This is part of gaining the company's trust and proving yourself as an asset. I am proud to of risen to the challenge!

ConsThe overarching tolerance gives way to some problematic rubbing of emotions. Leadership is almost timid when it comes to spelling out brewing social upset. Not being able to put petty manipulation and idle gossip in it's place will become a huge issue if not dealt with correctly. There is no effort made to encourage disgruntled employees to take their problems up with management instead of creating distracting situations for otherwise focused employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep face, I know I am. Please know there are many in the company who are mission focused. We see the offer to grow with Cook to be a safer bet than to be paid flat wage for flat work by a public company that could erode away at a shareholder's whim.

The perks of working in a clean environment with the complexities of working for a start-up private company.

Manufacturing Associate (Current Employee) Bloomington, IN

ProsClean facilities, plenty of tools a resources.
    Many focused coworkers.
    A new more supportive approach from management.
    Ability for advancement given to those who work towards solutions to problems, not those who complain about them.

ConsA common complaint I see is low pay grade. It's not that it's low, it's slow. An employee's starting salary is all up to them and their ability to stand up for their worth. I would of liked more initially but have been compensated sense.
    The Cook brand needs to not only be evident to the customer but to the employee as well. Internal processes, and materials need to be developed better with more thought put into it.
    There are complex internal procedures that have been put in place without first being tested by employees.
    Too many "Indians" complaining about the Chiefs without doing anything on their level to fix it. If you are unhappy it can be changed, it's all in approach.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need to continue on the path of employee inclusion. The opinion and suggestion of the worker is key to our growth and efficiency. There is effort being made to show this and I hope it continues.

My Reply to Overworked and Underpaid Review from April 17th, 2014

ProsSome people in this company may be underpaid, but the person who wrote this review is DEFINATELY not one of them.
    Also, if this person feels they are overworked, quit crying, and get another job. You can't help LAZY and FIX STUPID!
    Great Foundation built by Mr.Cook
    Company is on the uprise
    Company is beginning to be profitable

ConsLong Work hours unexpected on occasion
    Not enough PTO time compared to the industry, especially since there are no paid sick days

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of these employees when they come to you (HR) and to coworkers on a daily basis whining about their pay!

Worked for Cook Pharmica? Contribute to the Community!