Cook Systems International Reviews

FastTrack'D jump-started my career

Current Employee - Java Developer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Java Developer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Cook Systems International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

FastTrack'd is very effective at teaching you what you need to know for Java development in the professional world in a very short amount of time. You are guaranteed to be hired on if you graduate the program. They will be flexible with you on location preferences and will do their best to set you up for success at the company you are sent to. Pay increases are regular, pending good review. Cook does not see you as just an employee, but also an important asset. They value you and are proud to have you.

This program is one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had. It was immersive and intense, but I came out of the program satisfied and confident of my abilities as a Java developer. I am only 22 and my career has advanced well past that of the average student coming directly out of college. The management and staff are like a big family, and they always have your back if you need it. I am lucky to have found this great group of people.

Cons

The selection process sometimes allows candidates that aren't truly ready to make it into the program. However, this process is constantly improving and is refined each time.

Software developer (+2 years)

I have been working at Cook Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Cook Systems is a good place to get a start in the IT career field.

So far I have been able to network and team up with many other developers, work with several clients, and gain that much needed experience to succeed in the software development sector.

The experience is by far the most valuable asset to gain from this company.

The initial training period for the Fasttrackd program is unpaid, but it really does help out those with the ability to become great software developers who are having trouble getting a start in their career.

The staff is pretty laid back and there is hardly ever any drama that arises. They are also very supportive, ranging from recovering from a major accident, losing your house in a fire, losing loved ones, to even girl scout cookies.

Cons

There does need to be more support available, but that's always true for anything.

I don't know the internal workings of a business, but they could use more organization and transparency. Again, that's also always true for anything.

Health insurance is a bit more expensive compared to plans provided by other employers.

Advice to Management

Looking forward to getting more incentives and benefits as the company grows.

Great First Job in the Industry

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

I have been working at Cook Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you're smart and can learn fast, they'll invest time, effort, and money in you up-front to get you in the industry and up to speed even if you don't have any experience or knowledge. When you're not on a contract, you end up getting paid to increase your skills, which is hugely helpful. Your superiors, even high ups in the company, get to know and care about you as more than a profit-generating cog in the machine. The ones I've interacted with have also been great people, especially Bob Fortenberry.

Cons

The pay is low for the work you're doing and PTO isn't enough to meet my needs. There's a lot of pressure and expectations on you to perform very highly.

Best opportunity I've ever had

I have been working at Cook Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I was one of the first through the Java FastTrack'd program 2.5 years ago. I believe it has given me a great start on my career. I've now worked on projects that include technologies such as Java, VB, C#, PHP, EclipseRCP, Spring Framework and many more. The training was tough but doable as long as you dedicate yourself to it and work hard.

The management here is very ambitious and always working hard to improve the program in all aspects.

Cons

The process in which we select people is constantly being improved but sometimes we've had people get in that just weren't capable from the beginning. Unfortunately the selection process isn't perfect yet but is evolving.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

Cook System's Fasttrack'd program revolutionizes technologically-dead areas of the country with a breath of fresh air.

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Cook Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The FastTrack'd program is an essential resource in the modern age that
    adequately identifies talent and respectively finds immediate placement for that talent in a
    focused career. Rather than focusing on generalized studies that have proven to be
    ineffective in determining an individual's skill level, FastTrack'd helps that individual find the
    practical resources and knowledge needed to be successful in his/her career. Also, the company
    could not have a better support system comprised of dedicated and motivated individuals. For
    a person like myself who did not have any opportunities in a professional career without
    finishing my degree and no financial means to do so, Fasttrack'd is a saving grace. The company provides excellent time off policies, a well-rounded, free training program that will prepare anyone with potential to jump into a career as a developer, fast pay raises that are promised and fulfilled with the initial contract, and a relaxed family-like environment with an impossibly strong support system.

Cons

The company prides itself on only hiring the best candidates, which can result in people being denied or let go due to performance. The Fasttrack'd training program is rigorous and only individuals with the drive to succeed will survive it. In a highly competitive market, Cook maintains its validity through being a highly competitive asset.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. You guys are supportive, understanding, and caring. I am proud to say that I work for Cook Systems International.

Fantastic

I have been working at Cook Systems International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I recently completed the Fast TrackD program, and I have to say that it's a great way to get your foot in the door. Many positions I previously applied for asked for 0 - 5 years of experience, but this only requires the ability and desire to learn, good work ethic, etc. It was definitely challenging, but I don't regret a single moment of it.

Cons

The website. It's not bad, but I probably would have gone with a different color scheme, and maybe some different buttons.

Advice to Management

Good job

FastTrack'D is a Great Opportunity!

Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Cook Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked for Cook Systems for over a year now, and I believe that it has followed through on its promise to support its employees. The pay increase structure is better than any other workplace I have been. This program gave me the opportunity that I wasn't getting even with a four year bachelor's degree and technical certification. This program can greatly help job seekers to overcome a lack of experience.

Cons

Possible long bench time, but that can be overcome by increasing skills.

Advice to Management

Additional training programs to further increase skills after hiring.

Very proud to work for Cook Systems International!

Current Employee - Executive Vice President in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Executive Vice President in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Cook Systems International full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am honored to take part in the FastTrack'D program. It offers a chance for people who are smart but may be under employed or unemployed to start fantastic new careers as software developers. We are bringing software development jobs back home to America. This company trains and hires new Java and .Net developers who otherwise may have missed the opportunity to participate in the high tech economy. This is not just a job, it is a life changing career. Rapid advancement. We hire and hope to keep our developers forever. Come join us.

Cons

We need more candidates for our FastTrack'D program. We hope to find about 300 more smart people this year! More marketing may help. Growing very fast.

Great Opportunity through the FastTrack'D program!

I have been working at Cook Systems International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Through the FastTrack'D program, I was able to learn skills that I was not taught in college, bridging a gap that has made me more suited to work as a developer for the clients that I work for. Also, you don't have to have 2 years of experience to get this job. I was able to come in as a fresh college graduate, and have now been with the company for around a year and a half!

Cons

The 8 week training program can be a sacrifice, as you are not paid for this, and your entry salary upon completion of the course is on the low end. HOWEVER, you are in line to receive substantial raises on a regular schedule for a few years, which in the long run helps to alleviate these issues.

Excellent Opportunity

I have been working at Cook Systems International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cook got my foot in the door of the software world, and for that I'm extremely grateful. The training was intense on just about every level, but if you can get through it, you are ready to work in the real world. Upper management has been very visible and supportive since I started my placement at a client.

Cons

Possible long bench time.

Advice to Management

Better communication.

Cook Systems International Photos