www.cookiesbydesign.com

Updated August 13, 2014
Updated August 13, 2014
3.4

Jack Long

Awesome company to work for

I have been working at Cookies by Design

Pros

Everyone is like a family that works together in the bakery. Everyone has their own set of responsibilities and it's nice to be able to trust the people you work with to get it done on time (for delivery of course). Free reign on eating the cookies. My boss and coworkers are really easy to get along with, more like friends than coworkers. I can honestly say I look forward to going to work.

Cons

Slow hours during the summer, holidays make up for it though with 10+ hr days.

"Alright company to work for but can use improvement"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I worked at Cookies by Design full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working here is the flexibility on hours. The atmosphere is also laid back. It does offer discounts on products and insurance options for "Full Time" employees. They have locations nationwide which is helpful and they also ship if needed. Small company atmosphere.

Cons

Pricing is way to high to provide continual sales throughout the year. Pay is too low which makes it almost impossible to stay afloat in today's world. Everything is so manual and outdated and it takes forever to get anything fixed. It's a franchise owned company which makes it difficult for everything to be uniformed and customers don't like that, what they see online is what they want to receive at that is not always the case. They have lost so many franchise shops since they first opened and within the last few years since the new CEO has taken over more employees and shops have closed due to his practices. Pretty sad when they use to have 300 shops now they have like 80.

Much more quality control, management training , offer advancement opportunities or yearly raises. Lower your prices to attract all income levels, don't out price yourself and let sales pass you by. The CEO needs to learn how to listen and open up his mind to new things, your answer is not always right and see others point of view it could help the company.

Best first job

I worked at Cookies by Design

Pros

Great company that cares about their workers. Good pay and benefits for retail. Good chance for advancement. Yummy cookies! Definitely recommended.

Cons

Not enough hours some weeks but other than that there were no other cons. Highly recommend this company as a first job for anyone.

A fairly mellow retail position.

Former Employee - Customer Service and Production in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service and Production in Portland, OR

I worked at Cookies by Design full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not bad for retail, orders came in mostly through phone or internet so it was better than many customer service oriented jobs. Holidays were busy, but it was nice working with a small team.

Cons

The work could be repetitive and boring, since production was a big part of the job. Since the team was small it was hard if someone wasn't pulling their weight. Also the products themselves aren't great.

Edible products could be improved in quality.

It was a good job, cookies were good but pay wasnt that great

Former Employee - Cookie Decorator in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - Cookie Decorator in Woburn, MA

I worked at Cookies by Design part-time (more than an year)

Pros

fun designs
    good licensed designs
    easy to move up in the business
    for some orders you get to free-hand your designs

Cons

very corporate-like
    sugar cookie dough is a pre made mix )=

The deadline times for same-day or next-day delivery were to late.

Find another job if you are looking for something creative.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Woburn, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Woburn, MA

I have been working at Cookies by Design full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I can't state any pros as I feel this company has none.

Cons

Subpar product lacking in creativity, no benefits, low pay.

Selling cookies that taste like cardboard for $8 bucks a pop is taking advantage of an online market that doesn't get to sample your product.

Great store owner, awful corporation

Current Employee - Decorator
    Current Employee - Decorator

I have been working at Cookies by Design part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I work in a store where everyone works as a team. We're all there to help each other and almost act as a family. I absolutely love my job and love the customers that I get to work with on an everyday basis. Most of all I love being able to unleash my creative side and be surrounded by people I love especially my boss! And no, I'm not saying that to be a pet, I truly do love her and enjoy being with her so much so that we spend time with each other and our families outside of work.

Cons

Corporate does not give incentives to owners for new creative designs and ideas, nor do they give credit to the store/decorator responsible for the new fresh designs. I feel that this corporation has a lack in leadership. They also do a horrendous job at taking care of their store owners as far as marketing goes. They lack setting standards and rules and sticking to them. For instance some stores (such as the one I work at) make their cookies from scratch, while others use a mix (sold by corporate) that taste like cardboard. We actually get customers from two towns away because they'd rather have our cookies because they taste better than the CBD cookies in their town (which are from a mix). There is no one recipe for each flavor, every store owner seems to do their own thing. Lack of consistency. Corporate operators also have no clue what is going on. They send over orders via web that are taken incorrectly and we have to figure out what exactly the customer wants. Lastly, corporate is raising prices to the point where it deters customers from placing orders.

Private store owners in the Detroit Metro area are doing a great job. However, corporate needs to up the ante by doing more marketing, giving credit where credit is due, and not be so greedy. Because of your lack in marketing my store owners are lacking business and in return prevents me from getting a raise. Corporate needs to set standards and enforce them.

Great concept, fun work environment

Current Employee - Owner in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Owner in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Cookies by Design full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Fun work, great product, positive atmosphere.

Cons

Long hours during the holidays.

Everyone is great. CEO could use a lesson on how to read a contract. He is a polite man but not very intelligent.

Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service
    Former Employee - Cashier/Customer Service

I worked at Cookies by Design

Pros

Well the work was easy and straight foward, but it was a bakery so I had to get there by 7 am. Also Sundays it was closed

Cons

My boss was literally insane, she would say one thing and then two weeks later would say I didn't do things right. She also said my attitude about work was lack luster. I woke up at 7 to assemble cookies in a gift basket, how happy am I supposed to be?

They're all different because they're a franchise, but the one in Roswell Ga sucks.... never work there, for your own sake.

A good place for a part time job

Former Employee - Customer Service
    Former Employee - Customer Service

I worked at Cookies by Design

Pros

Fair pay for a part time job. Fun place to work. The people who I worked with were dedicated and made it worthwhile to come in every day.

Cons

Not a huge business so not really any room for advancement. And there is a fair amount of physical labor.

Possibly make it easier to break into the corporate culture although the size of the franchise don't really leave room for such an issue.