Cooks Pest Control

www.cookspest.com

Cooks Pest Control Reviews

Updated May 30, 2014
Cooks Pest Control – Decatur – “parking lot for cooks trucks”

John Cook Sr

Poorly Compensated Sales Position

Sales Inspector (Current Employee) Decatur, AL

ProsWork on your own the last half of your day.
    Meeting people and families.
    Great technicians and the company is great at pest control and termite protection.

ConsDaily drive into office and waiting in line for a 15 min. check in. Arrive at 7:30 and rarely get back to your territory until 10:30.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow checking in over the phone, PC or smart phone. This would allow another 10-15 hours a week to canvas for business as well as save hundreds of dollars a month in fuel cost.

Nine years of 55-60 hours per week.

Residential Tech (Current Employee) Decatur, AL

Prosyou can make extra money by turning in Gold Leads that sale. However you don't have time to get leads cause you are trying to get your number finished for the day on your route.

ConsYou have to collect your money or convince customer to go on bank draft. If your AR's are high... then your pay check will not be as much. It's not really a salary plus commission.... it is ALL commission. If your customer doesn't pay... you don't get paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut the paper work down and allow us to do our job without so much writing. Be considerate when we need a personal day... heck we already work 55-60 hours every week. Give us a cost of living raise every so often.

Controlling and take advantage of employees through poor job economy and the use of evangelical religion.

Pest Tech (Former Employee) Mobile, AL

ProsEmployment and health care with decent insurer.

ConsWork more than 40 hours, only paid for 40 hours. Cook's prey on the uneducated to operate their business. "Jesus would support the company past 40 hours and not be expected to be paid overtime." - Words out of District Manager's mouth.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe executives need to shape up.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Shady Pratices

Technician (Current Employee) Chattanooga, TN

ProsSelf directed work, good vehicles

ConsQuestionable payment practices with no evidence of payment amount provided, poor office atmosphere with drama usually created by management, poor leadership, poor marketing, shoddy equipment, chemical needs rarely met, encouraged to short cut service, inappropriate behavior by lower management, uninvolved upper management, cluless corporate, work not covered on vacation or sick days, poor benefits, overall unprofessionalism

Strong values taught, but not necessarily practiced by upper management

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Marietta, GA

ProsA company that offers good training and teaches strong values.

ConsFickle.They have fired employees simply because the area manager does not like them and will try to avoid paying unemployment. They lie to state unemployment agency to avoid paying unemployment saying it was a performance issue when it was not. They also violate their own background policy of providing only position and dates of employment if they fire you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are going to want to fire people based on false testimony or gossip of a personal nature, you should at least check with the employee to see if he can clear his name so that you are no simply adding to the unemployment rate.

Professional service

Sales Inspector (Current Employee) Gadsden, AL

Prosalways try to do what I ask. Good pricing. Good service.

ConsNo problems that I can see

tech

Route Tech (Former Employee) Knoxville, TN

ProsAble to work a dedicated route under your own supervision, good pay, company truck, paid training, quality materials, they stay current with pest control technology

Consnot enough route assistants to cover accounts while on vacation so when I would go on vacation nobody would cover my accounts so I had to work way harder to make up the customers that were not serviced. The GM Greg usually only hires someone he feels "needs" the job

District manager

District Manager (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat work ethics, integrity, honesty. High quality of life.

ConsLow Pay. Low pay...did I say low pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the pay scale to stay competitive with others in the industry

Don't waste a few months of your life!

Sales (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsLarge Reputable Company, with good name recognition.

ConsSalary was changed several times without consulting me. I had a written guarantee and they tossed it away like it was a scrap piece of paper. I was qualified to work in almost every department, but would not transfer me even after positions became available.

As a salesman, in the pest control industry, most companies offer a host of products. Cooks only offers one termite solution (treatment) So you don't have a leg to stand on if the customer does not want that specific treatment. At other companies, I have had the opportunity offer a variety, thus, close the sale with whatever the client wanted.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to hire people that have had extensive industry experience. Quit hiring "green" managers, so that you can teach them the "cooks" way, and they don't know any different and don't truly understand this business.

Short term assignment...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBetter than the other main pest companies. Vehicle provided.

ConsBusiness model is very outdated. No consistency in sales...very very very seasonal money. If you have a bad tech you will have bad service and therefore lose accounts. Not very interested in marketing their brand (besides name on vehicles and maybe a commercial in a couple of cities only during certain football games). Seems to be a lot of turnover (but every pest company has a lot also except for maybe Arrow and Ace). After you go through your training (tons of videos and then time at corporate) , you basically get to figure everything out on your own. In sales, you have to sell an unreal amount to survive (almost everything is on commission with an extremely small salary). Sales cycle can be VERY long in many cases. Large accounts can be sold, but very few and far between. Competition is cutthroat on pricing. Not a lot of weapons in your arsenal (everyone offers the same services, just at different pricing). Technicians get paid more on salary plus what they get on collections.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more marketing in major cities, better sales plan and training (not going off the latest motivational speaker to come along...an actual plan). Update communication options (there is way more out there than email and an occasional info sheet).

Worked for Cooks Pest Control? Contribute to the Community!