Cooks Pest Control

Updated January 27, 2015
Updated January 27, 2015
2.5

John Cook Sr

Takes too long to make any money, lots of hoops to jump through to get a chance to sell.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Cooks Pest Control

Pros

Health care, weekends and holidays off

Cons

Getting paid on the 15th and last day of the month, if you get paid that way check should be more, 13 month charge back's !!!! Having to sell 15,000 before you make any commission, if you make quota in 3 months you've paid for Your salary in your car but still no more money.

tell people up front with a have to go through.stop trying to sell the job and let people know what the job actually entails

Good potential, if you brown nose

Former Employee - Pest Tech in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Pest Tech in Memphis, TN

I worked at Cooks Pest Control full-time (more than a year)

Pros

If you get in with the right people, you have good potential to make a lot of money.

Cons

Money you earn is based on the type of accounts you are assigned, which are not up to you. So if you don't know the right person, then you won't get handed good accounts, hence less money.

The job itself is not bad, literally the only part I disliked, was the fact that certain accounts that were recently received, were given to certain technicians.

Good company, somehow falls short.

I worked at Cooks Pest Control

Pros

The ability to manipulate your schedule.
    Relatively low stress work environment.
    The values and culture of the company are a strong component of its success, but these values often don't seem to trickle down into certain branches. It isn't necessarily a bad job/place to work, but it definitely could be more effective.

Cons

Pay is quite low for the work and expectations
    Little to no assistance or direction from management
    Never received a performance review, or training on how to meet objectives expected. If I don't meet my goals, I'm ok with being counseled...but if you can't teach me how to correct my shortcomings on the job, how effective of a leader are you?
    Very little training or advice on how to manage your route
    Someone has to die or retire to free up advancement opportunities, at which point the buddy system is takes control over promotions

Cooks Pest Control - Horrible to work for & do business with

Former Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Dothan, AL
    Former Employee - OFFICE SPECIALIST in Dothan, AL

I worked at Cooks Pest Control full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Weekends off
    No nights
    Ok pay
    Technician were friendly

There really isn't much else to put but that not all districts are like this.

Cons

I was an employee at Cook's Pest Control - Dothan district. I was married in October 2013, shortly after they changed my name that I received my checks & everything in WITHOUT MY PERMISSION. Considering Cook's doesn't have direct deposit, this almost caused me a lot of problems, no-one would cash my check except the bank & even they were skeptical about doing it at first as I had not gotten my name changed yet. Cook's did NOT even ask me if I was going to change my name, I could have been keeping my last name. At first everything was great, then I guess my newness wore off. The two other women I worked in the office started treated me with a lot of disrespect, piled so much work on me that I couldn't finish, among other things. I have no doubt that this was intentional by the way I was being treated & things that were said to me. Plus the numerous employees that told me I was not they first person they ran off.

When I was out of work, they would not do any of my work for me, regardless of deadlines or importance. When I was out for 2 weeks for surgery I came back & had to finish all my work in half the time.

*Decisions they made that affected me were never discussed with me. I came back from my lunch hour one day & there was a note on my desk telling me that my lunch hour had changed effective the next day.

*They would not come to me about work-related problems, mistakes, etc. Instead they would talk loudly about them just to make sure I could hear.

*They gossiped, complained, & talked bad about everyone there, including the district manager. This created a very poor work environment.

*They would get attitudes with not just me, but other employees for no apparent reason. One of the older supervisor's there expressed to me that they did it to him & he did not know why or feel he deserved it. I felt the worse for him. But several employee's said the same.

*They were constantly telling me to do things one way, then changing it without notifying me I guess, because next thing I know, I was doing it wrong.

*They were constantly doing things like eating at their desk, but I could not. Company policy Im sure is that nobody is supposed to anyways.

*They would make decisions without even asking Sid. I was out during closeout & was responsible for 78'ing the accounts to send to collections. Not only was it not done, but when I got back & asked if I needed to go ahead & send them to collections & was told no to wait til next closeout. A few days later something was said to me by one of the managers & they asked Sid which said I needed to go ahead & do them.

*Any work they didn't want to do was handed to me, but they wouldn't do anything for me, even if it involved a customer. I was locked out of Easypay & asked if one of them could take a customer's payment. They refused & told me to write down their info & put it in later. A lot of customers do not like this, & it should have never been handled that way. I would never have told them no on something like this, & Im sure I would have Gotten in trouble if I would have.

*They had put so much work on me I could not even finish it all, yet they had time to stand around & talk, take personal phone calls, go outside & visit with children & such, check Ricky Stokes news, check the weather, etc. Not that I am complaining about being busy & having work to do, but everyone else should too, not just me. Or they could have used some of that time to take things back off of me so I could finish, but instead they were piling more on me intentionally, knowing I wouldn't finish.

*They never told me when anyone was going to be out on vacation, even them, even though I had to do their work when they were out.

I talked with Sid, the district manager, on 2 separate occasions about these issues & NOTHING was done as these things continued & some got worse.

On July 31st & Aug 1st I called out sick. Aug 1st being close-out Sid got mad & hung up on me!

When I got back on Monday, I was informed I was out of time, which I was already aware of. But treated like it was a problem, even though I had to use most of my time for surgery & recovery. He could choose to work with me on this but instead I was made to sign a paper that if I was out anymore, further action would be taken. With my continuing health problems this is unacceptable as I had dr appointments I need to go to & would not be able to in fear of losing my job. So I told him them that maybe the best thing for me to do was to start looking for another job because this was unfair. He said Yes, That was fine.

A few days later I was asked by Sid when my last day was. I told him that I have NOT put in a resignation yet, I would let him know when I was ready I would put in a notice. I was informed at that time that he would think about it & He would give me a date that was to be my last day.

A few days later I was approached & forced to sign up for an office specialist meeting in which I would have had to attend with the other two ladies in the office that I was having all the problems with. Again awful unfair, but was told it was mandatory. In which I expressed concerns that there were a lot of the office specialists that didn't attend the year before, in which he had no answer for, just insisted it was mandatory. I signed it but told him I didn't figure I would be there that long anyways & that I was still waiting on him for a last day. He then took it back & claims he was trying to be fair & give me a chance to turn in a date that was better for me. I again assured him that I had NOT turned in a notice yet, that it could be 2 weeks or 2 months before I was ready, but if he was to find a replacement before I was ready he could just fire me. Well that wasn't good enough, I needed to think about it over the weekend & give hima definite date on Monday, I was being forced to give a resignation even though I was not ready. I expressed how unfair I was being treated & he asked how. I told him I complained about the problems in the office & nothing was done, I can't even go to a dr appointment for the rest of the year without being afraid of what might happen, & now I am being forced to resign. The only one he said anything about was the being out, I was told maybe I should have handle my time better!. In which I reminded him of my surgery & all. Sid did not even have the decency to pull me into his office for all this, it was done in front of the other 2 ladies in the office plus one or two more employees. Very unprofessional since I was crying & everything from being so upset & poorly treated.

Only out 5 days sick! the rest was for Dr. appointments, vacation before surgery, & surgery. I cannot control having to go to the Dr or having surgery, so though my PTO time was used, it should have been understandable. I handled my time the best I could & did not waste any of it. And even though I didn't always have a Dr excuse for being out, I couldn't always afford to pay to go to the Dr. since I was the only one working. Sid also knew this, but no sympathy for me at all I guess. He always was concerned about everyone else & their families & problems but never mine.

Now I have just been denied unemployment because "I quit voluntarily". No I did not quit voluntarily, being told to put in a resignation is not quitting, that is getting fired but trying to cover his butt. I am pretty sure that a boss is not supposed to ask you to resign, that is a voluntary action which I did not do. I have my rights to look for another job if I want & turn in a 2 weeks or maybe more notice if I do, but again, I did not. Why would I quit voluntarily when I was the only one in the household that had a job? I hope that this can be taken care of, I am going to appeal it. Again, Thanks for your time.

I have also been told by several previous customers that the service was horrible as well, which I knew anyways, I had an inside look at it all & wouldn't recommend them to anyone!

Needs to address the proper management skills with this district and focus on the customer more and not play favorites

Poorly Compensated Sales Position

Current Employee - Sales Inspector in Decatur, AL
    Current Employee - Sales Inspector in Decatur, AL

I have been working at Cooks Pest Control full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work on your own the last half of your day.
    Meeting people and families.
    Great technicians and the company is great at pest control and termite protection.

Cons

Daily drive into office and waiting in line for a 15 min. check in. Arrive at 7:30 and rarely get back to your territory until 10:30.

Allow checking in over the phone, PC or smart phone. This would allow another 10-15 hours a week to canvas for business as well as save hundreds of dollars a month in fuel cost.

Nine years of 55-60 hours per week.

Current Employee - Residential Tech in Decatur, AL
    Current Employee - Residential Tech in Decatur, AL

I have been working at Cooks Pest Control full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

you can make extra money by turning in Gold Leads that sale. However you don't have time to get leads cause you are trying to get your number finished for the day on your route.

Cons

You have to collect your money or convince customer to go on bank draft. If your AR's are high... then your pay check will not be as much. It's not really a salary plus commission.... it is ALL commission. If your customer doesn't pay... you don't get paid.

Cut the paper work down and allow us to do our job without so much writing. Be considerate when we need a personal day... heck we already work 55-60 hours every week. Give us a cost of living raise every so often.

Controlling and take advantage of employees through poor job economy and the use of evangelical religion.

Former Employee - Pest Tech in Mobile, AL
    Former Employee - Pest Tech in Mobile, AL

I worked at Cooks Pest Control full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employment and health care with decent insurer.

Cons

Work more than 40 hours, only paid for 40 hours. Cook's prey on the uneducated to operate their business. "Jesus would support the company past 40 hours and not be expected to be paid overtime." - Words out of District Manager's mouth.

The executives need to shape up.

Shady Pratices

Current Employee - Technician in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Technician in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Cooks Pest Control full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Self directed work, good vehicles

Cons

Questionable payment practices with no evidence of payment amount provided, poor office atmosphere with drama usually created by management, poor leadership, poor marketing, shoddy equipment, chemical needs rarely met, encouraged to short cut service, inappropriate behavior by lower management, uninvolved upper management, cluless corporate, work not covered on vacation or sick days, poor benefits, overall unprofessionalism

Strong values taught, but not necessarily practiced by upper management

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Marietta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Marietta, GA

I worked at Cooks Pest Control full-time (less than a year)

Pros

A company that offers good training and teaches strong values.

Cons

Fickle.They have fired employees simply because the area manager does not like them and will try to avoid paying unemployment. They lie to state unemployment agency to avoid paying unemployment saying it was a performance issue when it was not. They also violate their own background policy of providing only position and dates of employment if they fire you.

If you are going to want to fire people based on false testimony or gossip of a personal nature, you should at least check with the employee to see if he can clear his name so that you are no simply adding to the unemployment rate.

tech

Former Employee - Route Tech in Knoxville, TN
    Former Employee - Route Tech in Knoxville, TN

I worked at Cooks Pest Control full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Able to work a dedicated route under your own supervision, good pay, company truck, paid training, quality materials, they stay current with pest control technology

Cons

not enough route assistants to cover accounts while on vacation so when I would go on vacation nobody would cover my accounts so I had to work way harder to make up the customers that were not serviced. The GM Greg usually only hires someone he feels "needs" the job

Cooks Pest Control Photos

parking lot for cooks trucks

+ Add Photo