Cooley Dickinson Hospital Reviews

Updated January 18, 2015
9 reviews filtered by
Carol M. Smith

1. I went for one job, but was given another which was confusing, but I ended up liking the job they gave me very much.

Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Northampton, MA
    Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Northampton, MA

I worked at Cooley Dickinson Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, small hospital, friendly people (mostly!).

Cons

In-house disagreements about staffing which were not worked out before I went on-site to perform the job for which I was hired.

Find ways to be sure that critical decision makers/staff are on board and supportive of hires being made. Have fail-safe measures to protect new employees from some of the in-house disagreements over clinical staffing.

2. Stifling

I worked at Cooley Dickinson Hospital full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Human resource department was strong.

Cons

Being disrespected by people in management was a hurdle unlike any other. Patients must be put before company politics and employees need to be valued. No room for advancement.

Communicate with all employees. Treat your employees with respect.

3. Fun environment but skewed towards the older generation.

Current Contractor - Financial Analyst in Northampton, MA
    Current Contractor - Financial Analyst in Northampton, MA

I have been working at Cooley Dickinson Hospital as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Fun people. Everyone there is energetic and tries to make the office a really fun place to work. Everyone I met on the first day remembered my name and had very cheerful greetings for me every morning. They really go out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Cons

It seems like there is a lot of under the surface tension, that gets addressed in hushed conversations and gossip. Kind of a red flag for me, but as long as you get your work done, it doesn't seem like you'll have an issue.

na na na na ana nana ana ananananan a nana ana nan ana na ana an ana na an anan ana na an an anannan an an a nna na a a nan al alal.

5. Good place for entry level jobs, get experience to move on.

I have been working at Cooley Dickinson Hospital

Pros

Is a rapidly growing organization, recent Mass General affiliation has created a better range of patient care.

Cons

Very limited room for job growth, upper management still stuck in "good ole' boy" mentality, favoritism abounds. No merit raises, only very low cost of living raise every year.

Get fresh management approach to managing people instead of just bean-counting.

6. not a keeper

Former Employee - Psychiatric Counselor in Northampton, MA
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Counselor in Northampton, MA

I worked at Cooley Dickinson Hospital full-time (more than a year)

Pros

experience was useful in helping shape how working in the field differs from what you learn in school

Cons

Not appreciated. While experience was useful it was the most useful in learning how I didn't want to behave and work in the field.

Provide more opportunity and support to direct care staff.

7. If it had not been for personalities that needed to control the situation I would still be there today.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Northampton, MA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Northampton, MA

I worked at Cooley Dickinson Hospital full-time (less than a year)

Pros

workplace in itself was up to date and expanding (2006) New wing being built.

Cons

Lack of teamwork. It was each man or woman for him/herself. There was nothing in place for lateral bullying.

management needs training on conflict management. Hopefully this has changed since my time there,

8. Receptionist

I have been working at Cooley Dickinson Hospital

Pros

Parking, working at your own pace

Cons

No overtime, having to make up for other people's work

9. A great local community hospital.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northampton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northampton, MA

I have been working at Cooley Dickinson Hospital

Pros

Great co workers who support each other and are there for the patients. The satisfaction of seeing a patient recover and go home.

Cons

Standing on concrete floors for 8 or 12 hours a day, Having a health insurance that is privatley funded so they have the right to deny services that should be covered by law.

Consider changing the way the health insurance policy is written so that services that were once deemed as not medically necessary can be covered.

10. OK place to work

Former Employee - Not Available. in Northampton, MA
    Former Employee - Not Available. in Northampton, MA

I worked at Cooley Dickinson Hospital

Pros

There are many good staff members who work hard to provide the necessary care for patients.

Cons

When I worked there, they seemed to be asking staff for their contribution to the hospital, yet spending money on a myriad of consultants. I thought that senior staff were employed because of their experience in specific areas. Why then is it necessary to bring in consultants for what seems like every little thing? Also, there was no system of merit raises, so that someone who was doing an outstanding job got the same raise as someone who, eg, could be on probation. Does that make sense?

Communicate with staff and treat them as adults. Don't have rules just for the sake of having them (such as not allowing office staff - who do not usually go on the wards - from wearing open toe sandals during the summer heat).