Cooley Dickinson Hospital

Updated July 10, 2014

3.2

Carol M. Smith
1 Rating

I went for one job, but was given another which was confusing, but I ended up liking the job they gave me very much.

Former Employee - Physician Assistant  in  Northampton, MA
    Former Employee - Physician Assistant in Northampton, MA

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, small hospital, friendly people (mostly!).

Cons

In-house disagreements about staffing which were not worked out before I went on-site to perform the job for which I was hired.

Find ways to be sure that critical decision makers/staff are on board and supportive of hires being made. Have fail-safe measures to protect new employees from some of the in-house disagreements over clinical staffing.

not a keeper

Former Employee - Psychiatric Counselor  in  Northampton, MA
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Counselor in Northampton, MA

Pros

experience was useful in helping shape how working in the field differs from what you learn in school

Cons

Not appreciated. While experience was useful it was the most useful in learning how I didn't want to behave and work in the field.

Provide more opportunity and support to direct care staff.

If it had not been for personalities that needed to control the situation I would still be there today.

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Northampton, MA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Northampton, MA

Pros

workplace in itself was up to date and expanding (2006) New wing being built.

Cons

Lack of teamwork. It was each man or woman for him/herself. There was nothing in place for lateral bullying.

management needs training on conflict management. Hopefully this has changed since my time there,

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Receptionist

Pros

Parking, working at your own pace

Cons

No overtime, having to make up for other people's work

A great local community hospital.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Northampton, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Northampton, MA

Pros

Great co workers who support each other and are there for the patients. The satisfaction of seeing a patient recover and go home.

Cons

Standing on concrete floors for 8 or 12 hours a day, Having a health insurance that is privatley funded so they have the right to deny services that should be covered by law.

Consider changing the way the health insurance policy is written so that services that were once deemed as not medically necessary can be covered.

OK place to work

Former Employee - Not Available.  in  Northampton, MA
    Former Employee - Not Available. in Northampton, MA

Pros

There are many good staff members who work hard to provide the necessary care for patients.

Cons

When I worked there, they seemed to be asking staff for their contribution to the hospital, yet spending money on a myriad of consultants. I thought that senior staff were employed because of their experience in specific areas. Why then is it necessary to bring in consultants for what seems like every little thing? Also, there was no system of merit raises, so that someone who was doing an outstanding job got the same raise as someone who, eg, could be on probation. Does that make sense?

Communicate with staff and treat them as adults. Don't have rules just for the sake of having them (such as not allowing office staff - who do not usually go on the wards - from wearing open toe sandals during the summer heat).

Worked for Cooley Dickinson Hospital? Contribute to the Community!