Cooley Godward Kronish

Updated May 5, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joe Conroy

unhappy associates, but high-quality work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-the best partners are really extraordinary litigators, extremely tough people -- if you become a favorite, you can learn and advance fast
    -biglaw pay

Cons-associates are almost uniformly miserable, many desperately so
    -the same partners who are the best lawyers are also abusive and horrible people
    -favoritism - huge differences in treatment of junior associates. if you don't get singled out for grooming early on, leave

Good people

Associate (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsGood people, highly respected firm, opens doors to interesting law careers. The work can be interesting but can also be boring, just depends. Some interesting tech clients. Good out of office culture.

ConsHaving to bill in 6 minute increments is a fact of life in big law firms. Bummer.

If you aren't an attorney, this isn't a place to have a growing career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are looking for a job to just do your thing and leave at 5pm, this place is for you.

ConsAs some others have said, this place does discriminate. After being told I was getting a promotion, twice, it was given to someone else. After the second time that happened, I left for better opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being an "all boys" club and let some women in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If You're Not a Partner -- Don't Work Here

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSalary; they will just about hire anyone

ConsNo advancement; in order to work on the better matters, you need to really kiss up to the senior partners. The associates and non-exempt staff are treatly horribly. The firm is so cheap that you can't get a writing tablet or a box of pens to work with. However, the partners line their pockets with gold.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread the wealth around and stop lining your pockets with gold. Gross misappropriate of funds in this firm.

Miserable and corrupt firm don't waste your time

Perm Staff Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCo-workers - salary is better because they pay more in trying to get people to stay

ConsManagement discriminates against their employees; no advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach and do not discriminate against employees. The firm offers no real advancement and if an employee makes any complaint, they will find themselves out the door - this firm discriminates against its employees as well. You would think being a law firm that they would follow the law and be more ethical but they are not. They are arrogant to the point that they believe they are above the law.

Great company to work for. Always felt like one big family.

Web Systems Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsNationwide firm, excellent benefits, fantastic salary.

ConsNo real cons to report. This was a great company to work for, before the Kronish merger, so hopefully not much has changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the vision and values from the Cooley Godward days!

BigLaw with Big Class and Big Clients

Patent Assistant (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsInteresting work, both large, successful clients and emerging industries and startups. Loved the people I worked with, and the lavish environment.

ConsTends to be a bit bureaucratic and snobbish sometimes, and my admin manager was watching the clock too much as opposed to paying attention to the quality of work being done by professional and paraprofessional staff.

Upstairs/Downstairs?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsFirm still has solid 'high tech, emerging markets' reputation. Some business-oriented and business-savvy partners.

ConsThere's an 'upstairs, downstairs' mentality amongst many in the partnership - if you're not a partner then get below stairs to the sweatshop. There used to be a 'Cooley culture' espousing collaboration and 'we are one-firm' mentality. Not anymore.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the firm as if it were a business, not a high school football team.

Solid firm for tech law

Attorney, 6th-Year (Former Employee) Washington, DC

ProsCGK provides excellent opportunities to work on very interesting technology law issues, along with related subject matter areas. It has a self-described "Cooley culture" that allows you to set your own work/life balance.

ConsIt can be a "who you know" not "what you know" kind of place at times. If you are not part of the inner circle, you may not get the good deals to work on or the opportunities for advancement that other may get.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to be a firm that focuses on the person rather than the bottom line and in so doing don't lose sight of each member of the Cooley team.

A typical law firm

Corporate Associate (Former Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsInteresting clients, lots of good experience, learn a lot in the first few years

ConsNo work/life balance, work really long hours

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be more straight forward with the associates.

Worked for Cooley Godward Kronish? Contribute to the Community!