Cooley Godward Kronish

Be The First To
Add Photos

Joe Conroy

Great Benefits

ProsGreat benefits, pay and treatment of staff

Conslack of work could be an issue moving forward

Cooley is a great place to work although there is nothing that makes it stand out from other big firms IMHO. Congenial

Paralegal (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCooley has a congenial office culture. The people are professional, courteous and respectful. I have stayed in touch with many of my former colleagues.

ConsThe day to day experience is typical of other big law firms. There is a fair amount of overtime and sometimes weekend work. Given the firm's history, I think the biggest fear is the possibility of layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope there will be no more major layoffs.

An exceptional place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsExcellent work; great opportunities to work with exciting new companies; less politics than at other firms

Consdemanding clients; long hours; sometimes can lack supervision

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very professional firm

Patent Scientist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsThey offer high salaries with experience.

ConsThey are a very fast-paced company often not focused on needs of new employees.

Better than most law firms but far from perfect.

Professional (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsExcellent vacation time which grows the longer you have been there. Most people are friendly. Environment is better than most other law firms.

ConsSlow to promote people. Managers have no desire to mentor employees. Management can be cutthroat. Each office seems to be run differently depending on the Partner in Charge of the office. Some administrative departments are unfairly compensated. Some people are fired over making one mistake while others that are lazy, poor performers are kept around.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management has been making questionable choices recently. Seems as though they are hiring their friends who are not right for the task at hand. Think about compensating your non exempt staff more in their bonuses.

Good firm if you work for the good partners

Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat clients, great salary and benefits, can count pro bono as billable hours

ConsSeveral partners are rude, condescending and refuse to mentor you or provide constructive criticism (rather they just yell or criticize). People won't hesitate to throw you under the bus to save themselves. Very much a boys club. Don't expect to have a life because you're expected to work all the time

Advice to Senior Managementwork on mentoring younger associates and provide more positive feedback and training

Cooley is a great place to work.

ProsCooley respects their employees and cares about their professional development. While each office is a bit different, the firm as a whole is a collegial place to work and the firm tries it best to promote a sense of team at all levels.

ConsFrom my individual experience, there are none worth noting

Advice to Senior ManagementNone worth noting

Amazing place to work... where the words Work Family actually make sense!

Legal Assistant (Current Employee) Santa Barbara, CA

ProsGreat work environment. You are never made to feel like you're less than competent simply because you don't know how to do something. Questions are answered with genuine desire to help and inform. Open communication is a very real thing at Cooley. Various fun-filled work events are held often.

ConsNone so far that I can think of.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue open communication between staff and attorneys. It feels great to feel like part of the team!

Smart People, but no "big" egos.

ProsThe work is interesting and you work for some big name clients. The firm tries hard to make sure that there are no "big" egos even though the people are all really smart and really good. Everyone works hard, including the partners, but the firm does not work their associates to death, like at other large firms. The Firm does not try to take itself too seriously. It is possible to keep a decent work/life balance

ConsI can't think of any.

Fast paced work with smart people

ProsYou get to work with lots of very smart people with very exciting clients in the high tech sector.

ConsWork is very fast paced and people can be very demanding. Also, the firm seems pretty cheap a lot of the time. For example, bonuses tend to be at or below market and things like IT infrastructure seems inadequate and/or slow. Work style varies a lot based on who you managed by.

Worked for Cooley Godward Kronish? Contribute to the Community!