Cooley Godward Kronish

Add Photos

Joe Conroy

If You're Not a Partner -- Don't Work Here

Associate (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsSalary; they will just about hire anyone

ConsNo advancement; in order to work on the better matters, you need to really kiss up to the senior partners. The associates and non-exempt staff are treatly horribly. The firm is so cheap that you can't get a writing tablet or a box of pens to work with. However, the partners line their pockets with gold.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpread the wealth around and stop lining your pockets with gold. Gross misappropriate of funds in this firm.

Miserable and corrupt firm don't waste your time

Perm Staff Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

ProsCo-workers - salary is better because they pay more in trying to get people to stay

ConsManagement discriminates against their employees; no advancement

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice what you preach and do not discriminate against employees. The firm offers no real advancement and if an employee makes any complaint, they will find themselves out the door - this firm discriminates against its employees as well. You would think being a law firm that they would follow the law and be more ethical but they are not. They are arrogant to the point that they believe they are above the law.

Great place to work if you don't plan on using your skills.

Paralegal (Current Employee)

ProsMostly friendly people. Good work location.

ConsNo career advancement. You spend all day everyday doing menial work. No sense in going to college to work here. Management only cares about attorneys.

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize your paralegal's skills or continue to lose good people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crazies, Cliques, and Kissing Ass

Paralegal (Former Employee) Reston, VA

ProsThe best reasons to work for these weirdos are the location and salary.

ConsIf you want to take a trip back to high school and deal with cliques and kissing ass then this place is for you. The people are absolutely crazy. I've never worked somewhere like that before. I would avoid it at all costs.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say something but my mom always told me not to say anything if you can't say something nice.

Good firm if you work for the good partners

Associate (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat clients, great salary and benefits, can count pro bono as billable hours

ConsSeveral partners are rude, condescending and refuse to mentor you or provide constructive criticism (rather they just yell or criticize). People won't hesitate to throw you under the bus to save themselves. Very much a boys club. Don't expect to have a life because you're expected to work all the time

Advice to Senior Managementwork on mentoring younger associates and provide more positive feedback and training

unhappy associates, but high-quality work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY

Pros-the best partners are really extraordinary litigators, extremely tough people -- if you become a favorite, you can learn and advance fast
    -biglaw pay

Cons-associates are almost uniformly miserable, many desperately so
    -the same partners who are the best lawyers are also abusive and horrible people
    -favoritism - huge differences in treatment of junior associates. if you don't get singled out for grooming early on, leave

If you aren't an attorney, this isn't a place to have a growing career.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIf you are looking for a job to just do your thing and leave at 5pm, this place is for you.

ConsAs some others have said, this place does discriminate. After being told I was getting a promotion, twice, it was given to someone else. After the second time that happened, I left for better opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being an "all boys" club and let some women in.

Great experience but no loyalty

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat corporate law experience and can develop as an attorney

ConsDo not have a lot of loyalty towards employees in tough economic times

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus more on employees ... and try to protect them during tough economic times

Cooley is a great place to work although there is nothing that makes it stand out from other big firms IMHO. Congenial

Paralegal (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsCooley has a congenial office culture. The people are professional, courteous and respectful. I have stayed in touch with many of my former colleagues.

ConsThe day to day experience is typical of other big law firms. There is a fair amount of overtime and sometimes weekend work. Given the firm's history, I think the biggest fear is the possibility of layoffs

Advice to Senior ManagementI hope there will be no more major layoffs.

Better than most law firms but far from perfect.

Professional (Current Employee) Palo Alto, CA

ProsExcellent vacation time which grows the longer you have been there. Most people are friendly. Environment is better than most other law firms.

ConsSlow to promote people. Managers have no desire to mentor employees. Management can be cutthroat. Each office seems to be run differently depending on the Partner in Charge of the office. Some administrative departments are unfairly compensated. Some people are fired over making one mistake while others that are lazy, poor performers are kept around.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management has been making questionable choices recently. Seems as though they are hiring their friends who are not right for the task at hand. Think about compensating your non exempt staff more in their bonuses.

Worked for Cooley Godward Kronish? Contribute to the Community!