Cooley Godward Kronish

Updated September 4, 2014
Updated September 4, 2014
3.8

Joe Conroy

Cooley's culture and its people make it stand out as a great place to work.

Former Employee - Paralegal  in  Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Washington, DC

I worked at Cooley Godward Kronish full-time for more than a year

Pros

Cooley strives to create a strong office culture, as well as an overall firm culture. There were social events, announcements about peoples' and teams' personal and professional achievements. Doors are open for you to pop in and ask questions. The promotion criteria was clearly laid out and transparent. Compensation increased regularly. My manager was very attentive to my concerns and was truly an ally.

Cons

The work-life balance depends on your group, their case load, and the partner's managing style. I worked with a particularly busy team for a micro-managing partner. She had high expectations, but she also recognized good work, rewarding it with more responsibility.

Cooley is a great place to work although there is nothing that makes it stand out from other big firms IMHO. Congenial

Former Employee - Paralegal  in  San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Paralegal in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Cooley Godward Kronish full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cooley has a congenial office culture. The people are professional, courteous and respectful. I have stayed in touch with many of my former colleagues.

Cons

The day to day experience is typical of other big law firms. There is a fair amount of overtime and sometimes weekend work. Given the firm's history, I think the biggest fear is the possibility of layoffs

I hope there will be no more major layoffs.

Great Benefits

I have been working at Cooley Godward Kronish

Pros

Great benefits, pay and treatment of staff

Cons

lack of work could be an issue moving forward

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

An exceptional place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Cooley Godward Kronish full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent work; great opportunities to work with exciting new companies; less politics than at other firms

Cons

demanding clients; long hours; sometimes can lack supervision

Better than most law firms but far from perfect.

Current Employee - Professional  in  Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Professional in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Cooley Godward Kronish full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent vacation time which grows the longer you have been there. Most people are friendly. Environment is better than most other law firms.

Cons

Slow to promote people. Managers have no desire to mentor employees. Management can be cutthroat. Each office seems to be run differently depending on the Partner in Charge of the office. Some administrative departments are unfairly compensated. Some people are fired over making one mistake while others that are lazy, poor performers are kept around.

Upper management has been making questionable choices recently. Seems as though they are hiring their friends who are not right for the task at hand. Think about compensating your non exempt staff more in their bonuses.

Very professional firm

Current Employee - Patent Scientist  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Patent Scientist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Cooley Godward Kronish full-time for less than a year

Pros

They offer high salaries with experience.

Cons

They are a very fast-paced company often not focused on needs of new employees.

Good firm if you work for the good partners

Current Employee - Associate  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Associate in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Cooley Godward Kronish full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great clients, great salary and benefits, can count pro bono as billable hours

Cons

Several partners are rude, condescending and refuse to mentor you or provide constructive criticism (rather they just yell or criticize). People won't hesitate to throw you under the bus to save themselves. Very much a boys club. Don't expect to have a life because you're expected to work all the time

work on mentoring younger associates and provide more positive feedback and training

Cooley is a great place to work.

I have been working at Cooley Godward Kronish full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cooley respects their employees and cares about their professional development. While each office is a bit different, the firm as a whole is a collegial place to work and the firm tries it best to promote a sense of team at all levels.

Cons

From my individual experience, there are none worth noting

None worth noting

Amazing place to work... where the words Work Family actually make sense!

Current Employee - Legal Assistant  in  Santa Barbara, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Assistant in Santa Barbara, CA

I have been working at Cooley Godward Kronish full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment. You are never made to feel like you're less than competent simply because you don't know how to do something. Questions are answered with genuine desire to help and inform. Open communication is a very real thing at Cooley. Various fun-filled work events are held often.

Cons

None so far that I can think of.

Continue open communication between staff and attorneys. It feels great to feel like part of the team!

Smart People, but no "big" egos.

I have been working at Cooley Godward Kronish full-time

Pros

The work is interesting and you work for some big name clients. The firm tries hard to make sure that there are no "big" egos even though the people are all really smart and really good. Everyone works hard, including the partners, but the firm does not work their associates to death, like at other large firms. The Firm does not try to take itself too seriously. It is possible to keep a decent work/life balance

Cons

I can't think of any.

Worked for Cooley Godward Kronish? Contribute to the Community!