Cooley Reviews

Joe Conroy

1. Case Assistant

Current Employee - Case Assistant
    Current Employee - Case Assistant

I have been working at Cooley full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful team of people to work with, many learning and educational advancement opportunities. Onsite training is a huge plus

Cons

there tends to be a lot of down time in between jobs and you are still expected to meet your billable hours- this can be stressful if you don't have any projects to work on. But on the up side, this does give you the opportunity to work with other offices and on pro bono cases

2. Pretty good

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reston, VA

I have been working at Cooley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a staff member - Cooley has a lot of benefits for a big firm while still feeling like a small firm. Pretty generous gym reimbursement, in office socials, etc.

Cons

Promotion potential can be tricky because a lot of departments are leanly staffed. Sometimes people can feel overworked, but mostly they just find it hard to get ahead.

Advice to Management

Better succession planning for staff. Get rid of some of the dead weight in departments.

3. Sr IT Operations Manager - West Region

Former Employee - Senior IT Operations Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Operations Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at Cooley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits with higher than other industry pay. Also a nice bonus program for staff. The firm is on sound financial ground and seems to be moving up. Culture of Cooley is rock solid.

Cons

Supporting attorneys is not for everyone. Can be a challenging and demanding environment and many IT staff are on call 7/24.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what they are doing. I enjoyed my time at Cooley and would definitely go back.

5. It's fine

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in Washington, DC

I have been working at Cooley (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am relatively will paid. The work I get can be interesting. It's a law firm gig, for good and for ill.

Cons

I just don't see what the long term plan is. The firm is gobbling up a bunch of smaller groups of lawyers but it all seems so haphazard.

Advice to Management

Help us understand what the goal is here other than just get bigger. Or if it is just "get bigger" above all else, just that that.

6. Legal/executive assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Very supportive management, ability to grow and enhance skills.

Cons

The only con is sometimes there is a hierarchy where attorneys are above staff instead of more of a team atmosphere.

Advice to Management

Encourage attorneys to treat staff more equally, especially the first years.

7. Great law firm

Current Employee - Associate Attorney in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Associate Attorney in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Collegial culture, great people; great location in SF

Cons

Demanding hours; bad work/life balance

8. games

Pros

Cool boss and paid lunches

Cons

Long hours and better pay

Advice to Management

More employees

9. A good firm overall

Current Employee - Senior Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Associate

Pros

Friendly colleagues, interesting projects, and decent pay package.

Cons

It's difficult to advance career.

10. Patent Prosecution Secretary

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Pros

GREAT PLACE TO WORK and there is no micromanagement.

Cons

Needs more patent prosecution training for those who have less than 5 years of IP knowledge.

Advice to Management

Promote more within the firm.

11. Assistant's View

I have been working at Cooley full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Mostly nice people, onsite cafe, office supplies, location, facilities and great IT staff (these guys really go out of their way to help you out). On a side note, I'm glad not to be part of IT, since they're only contacted when something goes awry. Outlook for the firm looks good. There were two layoffs a couple of years back, but work has been steady and busy for the most part. And unless you do something really dumb, chances are, you won't be fired (the first time around).

Cons

You work with attorneys. Some are nice, some are jerks and some intentionally go out of their way to demoralize you. Even the nice ones have their moments. They are all petty to some degree. Coming from two other law firms in SF, I can say that the upstairs/downstairs mentality is much less pronounced here. However, I feel that firm values are changing and Cooley may soon fall into the ranks of Wilson and the like. I know most associates. paralegals, and staff, myself included (obviously), feel under-appreciated and overworked. As a non-exempt employee, I find there is no benefit in working harder than my fellow assistants. Rewards are minimal best and pay seems to be solely based on seniority. No upward mobility, nor do they encourage promoting within, but it's a law firm so that's to be expected.

Advice to Management

Invest in management training or hire new management team. Most middle management seriously lack interpersonal skills which translates to poorly managed and unhappy staff. Mid-level associates and partners who parse out work should also be required to take some kind of management training. Yelling, blaming others, cursing, are not constructive ways of encouraging people to work harder or smarter nor does it play any role in training subordinates. There is a real disconnect between the partners and associates, and attorneys and staff. Mentorships and liaison positions should be voted upon, by the group that is being mentored or has recently been mentored. These positions should NOT be appointed by the managing partners, who are so at the top of the food pyramid that they are clueless as to the goings-on of lesser folk like me.

RSS Feed </> Embed