Cooper Concepts

10 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

*Best Summer Internship - and paid*

Former Employee - Marketing Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cooper Concepts as an intern for less than a year

Pros

With a concentration in marketing and business management in college, I wanted to find an internship that would allow me to gain real world experience in the industry. Cooper Concepts was like a second family! Even though I was only there a few months, I was able to establish long term friendships. The staff is very supportive and flexible, any question I ever had was answered. I learned a lot there, and was promoted pretty quickly. There's an awesome team environment with a competitive and fun atmosphere, which matches my athletic background.

Cons

If you're not a hard worker then it's possible but wouldn't be as easy to get promoted because you need to posses a great work ethic and apply what is learned throughout training.

Continue to offer paid internships, and keep the advancement structure and atmosphere the same!

Door to Door, 100% Commission

I worked at Cooper Concepts full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you like high-fives and screaming in an office space that may be a pro. The co-workers know each other well.

Cons

100% Commission, Door to Door, Pyramid Structure, revolving door regarding hiring and turnover. I prefer working 5 days a week, and they called for Monday-Saturday schedule. Not a professional work environment; seemed like they hire anyone.

Be honest and up front with people so that they don't waste their time.

Went to second interview - went door to door

Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing Consultant  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Entry Level Marketing Consultant in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cooper Concepts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Cool location but I only saw two offices
    The girl who interviewed me gave me a career advancement paper during lunch to clarify how promotions work
    She was also very friendly - invited me to company barbecue that evening

Cons

It is not a "marketing consultant" job - it is door to door sales (cold-calling) for about a year. I felt a little misled. I'd worked at a marketing firm previously, and this was completely not the same thing.
    they say it has paid training but it's only $150 for however long it takes you to get 10 sales
    I had to go door to door on my "second interview" to shadow how to change people's energy supplier
    It is commission based compensation

Be honest when recruiting: tell the people who are coming to interview that this is a door to door sales job

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Incredible growth opportunity and fun, fast-paced work environment

Former Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cooper Concepts full-time for more than a year

Pros

I had fun everyday I went to work.
    I learned a lot about marketing, sales, and leadership in the months I was at this position.
    I was able to be promoted quickly because I knew I would be rewarded for my hard work.
    The hours and pay are very reasonable and competitive.

Cons

It was hard to do this job when I became more constricted with my time scheduling. I really enjoyed my time here but found out I was not available enough to gain even more success.

STAY AWAY

I worked at Cooper Concepts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Ummmm, one time we had a grill out on the tiny 10ft by 10ft balcony after work.

Cons

pyramid scheme
    although some friendly people bust their hump and rarely get promoted, EVERYONE in this companies time and effort would be rewarded better and quicker elsewhere. Unfortunately most people working here, this is their first job and simply think they are really getting fast tracked on their career path. I honestly never write these reviews but I NEED to write this for any well adjusted and hard working people out their that might be considering this.
    Lastly, I myself am a sales representative, but most people here fit the bill of a cheesy car salesman most people would expect from D2D sales people.

STOP LYING! Be more transparent with your job openings too. Although I'm pretty sure if you were you wouldnt lure impressionable college grads into your doors.

Biggest Scam--look elsewhere

Former Employee - Entry Level Sales  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Entry Level Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cooper Concepts full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some people seem really happy and see this as a great opportunity for them. Nice people, potential to make friends

Cons

Commission based job with door to door sales. I spent days bothering business owners to switch to T-Mobile and get employees T-Mobile phones. Mostly trying to rip off small business owners.

Two pay options:
    1) $400 a week + 20% commission, but you must make $1800 a week in sales.

2) 28% commission + tiered bonuses (something like a $15 gas card)

So you could potentially spend 8 hours out in the freezing cold bothering people door to door and make less than minimum wage. Just save yourself the trouble.

Stop trying to sell yourself as a marketing firm looking for talented well-educated people.

Terrible scam

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Cooper Concepts

Pros

It can be fun if you work with the right people

Cons

They say your travel expenses i.e. gas, food dry cleaning, is all reimbursed. It's not! Its just deductible on your taxes and you don't really get that money back even though they say you do.
    You have to bring people out to lunch. Mandatory on your own dime. Did I mention you don't get that money back?
    They take 15% percent out of your check
    They tell you its easy to get promoted. Its not. You have to convince 5 people to move across the country with you and they all individually have to make $500 a week for 2 weeks in a row. It doesn't stop there. They say you make 1000.00 as asst manager salary a week. but you don't actually see that money. it goes into 'savings' to open up your own company. but don't worry, you won't ever get to open up your own company because you will need people to come with you. and they never do.
    They lie to you saying it takes people only a few months to become a manager. its not true. lots of people switch campaigns so while the spend a year selling one thing, they switch to another 'company' selling something else and get promoted in a few months. Do they tell you they spent a year doing this somewhere else? no. they say they got promoted in a few months.
    you are told to lie to people sell things. or at least not tell the whole truth.
    you are told you are not good anything and you are a loser if you can't do this job.
    you spend 2 hours in the morning playing stupid games and hearing the same speech you've heard over and over again. unpaid. and unnecesarry waste of time.
    If you go to any of the conferences or other offices, you will hear the same speeches by the owners there as well. basically all this says is that they don't know how to run their company. they will just give you motivational speeches to make you want to do your job that day that they've heard before. They have to do this because they know you won't want to do your job. because honestly who wants to walk into business's and press them to buy something? or who wants to knock on peoples homes and try to sell something you don't believe in?
    You will get constant complaints even after your sale because you ultimately had to lie to them to get them to buy into whatever you are selling
    This job is for people who don't have other options in life. If you have an education, do not take this job. you are better than that!

stop lying about what the job is and making it seem like a sunny day. you don't make as much money as you brag about.

Hard work, but rewarding

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cooper Concepts full-time for less than a year

Pros

I have worked at Cooper Concepts for the past four months. When I started I didn't have any sales experience, however I was looking for a position where I could use my past sales in restaurant and retail in a more professional setting. When I was applying for positions I my main concern was that I wasn't qualified for a sales and marketing position. What I love about my position is that I don't have to have previous experience and that they were willing to train me. Additionally, the manager is very hands on so I am constantly meeting with them in order to progress within the company.

Cons

Hardest part is that I am held accountable on a daily basis. The office environment is very goal oriented. This becomes difficult in the sense that everyone tries hard every day so i need to make sure I am on my game every day. This has helped me though to push forward and work harder in order to be part of the team.

Continue to work on a merit based system. However, sometimes it is important to get employees around other individuals other than those that trained them.

Couldn't imagine working anywhere else!

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Cooper Concepts full-time for less than a year

Pros

attending BBQ's, karaoke, professional sporting events, etc. The company is also involved with the community and philanthropy. Management and account managers are approachable and very supportive.
    There is great opportunity for advancement within the company. It's an entry level position so I was trained to know everything that I needed to be successful. I learn new skills and responsibilities on a weekly basis. Also, the structure is based off of no seniority so the timeline of an employee is not a determining factor for advancement, it's all merit based.
    Great position for anyone that feels they're competitive, hard working and outgoing, and looking for a change of pace.

Cons

It's important to set goals early on to give direction to your career path. You need to have short-term as well as long-term goals to maintain motivation in order to keep moving towards the end goal. Also it's very important to celebrate not only the big but small victories. You can't get anywhere if you don't know where you are going.

Keep up what you're doing because it's working. By far the most positive workplace I've ever been a part of. It's great to see the company is based from lead by example because it creates respect and allows everyone to be more relatable. Also, with the economy, it's great that you're able to provide so much opportunity.

Door to door sales

I worked at Cooper Concepts full-time for less than a year

Pros

They have high energy, people are friendly, and there's potential to get promoted very quickly and make a ridiculous sum of money. As you get promoted, you get paid more for each sale you make and have some other benefits. If you're good at door to door sales, you can get a ton of money.

Cons

It's door to door sales for pretty much everyone. If you get promoted, you have a few other responsibilities, but you still do door to door sales almost all the time. You get paid entirely by commission in the beginning. The hours were about 7:30-7:00 at the earliest and you need a car to drive to a designated territory to make sales.

Worked for Cooper Concepts? Contribute to the Community!