Cooper Industries

Updated September 3, 2014
Updated September 3, 2014

Cooper Industries Chairman, President, and CEO Kirk S. Hachigian
Kirk S. Hachigian

Pros
  • good benefits, great location, average pay, friendly atmosphere, balance with work and personal life, things are good between union and management (in 3 reviews)

• Good pay and benefits (besides time off) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance often lopsided (in a bad way) (in 5 reviews)

• Upper management makes decisions without understanding all of the consequences of their decision (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Company sinking after losing subsea

Former Employee - Operations  in  Camarillo, CA
    Former Employee - Operations in Camarillo, CA

I worked at Cooper Industries full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good pay, the employees on the floor are great to work with.

Cons

4 companies merged, still 4 separate companies with managers arguing in front of employees.

Too late- the recent removal of employees due to reduction in force- people still there are going to leave and are very disappointed.

Survey Indicates Lower Performers Rate Their Companies as Great Paces to Work

I worked at Cooper Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership IQ surveyed workers and found those with lower performance rated their employers as a great place to work. Looking at the ratings for Cooper, this explains the positive ratings

Cons

Cooper management puts a lot of work on high performers and lets the low performers off the hook. No wonder the lower performers are happy.

You can exceed expectations for awhile and receive recognition (which always brings more work), but you eventually get fed up and question why you're so stressed out and don't have a life outside of Cooper, then you can either burn out, decide to leave on your own or stay and try to bring some balance into your life (management frowns on this). This can result in being put on the "blocker" list which isn't a good thing and almost assures that you will get pushed toward the door.

This fire drill has run it's course.

Hurry Up Eaton!

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cooper Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Cooper brands are well known, giving credibility to sales and marketing
    Heavy investment in commercial resources and strategies
    Make your sales targets, get a bonus and not worry about profitability

Cons

Strong emphasis on "innovation" without rationalization and support of profitable legacy products.
    Not much cross communication and collaboration between functions, silo mentalities. The sales people can pretty much do what they want and everyone else is left to pick up the pieces.
    Favoritism is rampant, constructive feedback and criticism is not welcome, independent and critical thinkers will not prosper, management is very shallow and doesn't see far beyond the current quarter.
    Sadly, the comments about executive leadership profanity, tirades and outbursts are true. Very much a shoot the messenger mentality.

Eaton should assess all senior management and survey the business units about top issues. The Cooper approach sweeps anything we don't like to hear under the rug, or we punish the person that provides the feedback. Take the feedback head on and deal with it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

burned out

I worked at Cooper Industries full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Other than the paycheck I can't think of any. If I could maybe I would still be working there.

Cons

I've read the other reviews and some of them must be from another planet. In a big company there are going to be problems, but I was treated better in Army basic training than Cooper management treats a lot of their people.

I'm glad I fired you and left.

Great place to do a pharmaceutical study for any new anti-depressant and anxiety medication!

Current Employee - Supply Chain  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Houston, TX

I have been working at Cooper Industries

Pros

Real concerned about safety and the environment to the point of always being concerned about being sued all the time.

Cons

A strong armed management style that is relentless in making a person feel two inches tall with constant but subtle verbal abuse tied with strong profane language. Lead relentlessly complaining over issues

Time for a top down change?

Terrible

Former Employee - In Sales
    Former Employee - In Sales

I worked at Cooper Industries

Pros

Large company, known product divisions.

Cons

Company bought a smaller company Wheelock Inc and changed the name to Cooper Notification. Cooper then brought in their own people and fired most of the existing employees. They did not care about what individual employees had contributed to company's sales previously. Downgraded titles of salesmen. The Sales Director micromanaged them and took away even their one office day, used for follow ups and appointments. He plays favorites and hires and promotes his own people. He did not have any suggestions on how to increase sales in a bad economy.

Make the Sales Director and other middle managers meet the technical requirements required of salesmen. They should be competent in product knowledge as well. Hold their feet to the fire and do not allow them to blame salespeople for all their own faults and shortcomings.

Not recommended, highly unstable company with no future vision

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Cooper Industries

Pros

High learning Curve, nice office location and decent pay.

Cons

Pathetic senior management, no technical knowledge/insights from management, you are expected to know more within first few days of joining , compared to everyone who has been in the company for 10 yrs!

They hire people and fire whole teams after 3 months, saying that leadership has decided to move the entire team away from this location...is that a sick joke or HR has too much free time in conducting interviews for candidates, as they know that everyone just wants to leave the company soon?

In one word, run away, and join if you have no other option, as they will make you work like machines, pay like clerks and managers don't care about you, your life or shows any kind of respect.

Terrible experience.

Current Employee - Operations/Support/Lean  in  La Grange, NC
    Current Employee - Operations/Support/Lean in La Grange, NC

I have been working at Cooper Industries

Pros

Learn how to grind a business and people for the highest profits.

Cons

No acknowledgement for a job well done. Nothing is ever good enough. Morale is as low as I have ever seen a company be. Everything is falling apart. Every nickle spent has to be justified for immediate payback or it is no.

Think beyond the quarter. Invest in the business and in the people. Try to build a team.

Coopers answer is to move EVERYTHING to south America or China - Owners are whores

Former Employee - MVP Lean Six Sigma Manufacturing Engineer
    Former Employee - MVP Lean Six Sigma Manufacturing Engineer

I worked at Cooper Industries

Pros

I love manufacturing, and I was able to drive many projects and processes that helped the working personnel.

Cons

No matter what you do or how good you do it, your job will be exported just as soon as Cooper finds a way to do it

Invest in America and its workers. You exported tools to China and lost the Lowes account because of it. Cooper Execs are myopic idiots.

Not my favorite place to work.

Current Employee - Design Engineer
    Current Employee - Design Engineer

I have been working at Cooper Industries

Pros

This is a big company and you get a few perks because of that. Some of the people are friendly and capable of doing their jobs.

Cons

Management tends to be vindictive and hold grudges when you find fault with their plans. Communication is poor. They tend to just let things happen and see if you notice. Especially when it comes to pay cuts and cost increases for benefits packages.

Honest communication would go along way towards boosting morale. Don't be so full of yourselves that you are a $6 Billion/yr company that you think your customers care.

Worked for Cooper Industries? Contribute to the Community!