CooperVision

Updated January 5, 2015
Updated January 5, 2015
3.5

Daniel G. McBride

Pros
  • Good wellness program if you work for corporate but not R&D (in 10 reviews)

• They clearly believe in work-life balance and have a gym and wellness program that help weigh out the negatives (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • People who do not have industry expertise hold decision making power; they are ineffective leaders and bring down the morale (in 3 reviews)

• No stock options for positions below Director (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall, a great place to be.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

I have been working at CooperVision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

With not a lot of big thriving companies in Rochester, NY, CooperVision is a great place to be. They clearly believe in work-life balance and have a gym and wellness program that help weigh out the negatives.

Cons

Promotions and salary increases can be tough to get. Very top heavy with Sr. management and very few actually executing the work. Sr. management mostly in CA office with a clear desire to move more employees out there. Vacation time falls very short with an increase coming only after 5 full years of employment.

Too lean, need more entry to mid level employees. Too internally focused. Need to focus on needs of end customer.

A prison camp mentality - they beat you down until you end up quitting.

Former Employee - Field Sales
    Former Employee - Field Sales

I worked at CooperVision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Health care is descent. Products are ok but way to aged. No newly created products or r and d advances even though 300 plus good people make up that dept. oh yeah. FDA Recalls are very common. Check it out by doing a Google search.

Cons

Wolf pack mentality at Cooper - Upper mgmnt operate this way to silence anyone with a bright idea. Our way or hit the door pal.

Pay structure is horrible. Sales people are dis incentivized for trying to excel. All in the name of " "good for the company". Who care about you attitude. Stay away from this prison camp

One star rating is way to kind for this company

Shape up. You're acutely aware of what's going on. Remove the fear factor that is present if an employee speaks up. Promote those with an entrepreneurial mind. The "Stuffed shirts" that go along with your "game"shouldn't b rewarded w/ promotions unless you intentd to attract only the bottom feeders seeking and keeping employment

Poised for success if properly managed

I have been working at CooperVision full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job stability and great location

Cons

Limited opportunity for moving up

The hiring policy is not sound- some management authority is misusing power by hiring people with no background experiences in the medical device field. This is not a good trend for the future retention of good employees for the company.

Living the Values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at CooperVision full-time (more than a year)

Pros

This company lives by its values - dedicated, inventive, partners and friendly
    It's a growing successful company
    Great Wellness program, benefits and they strive to be on the best places to work list by making it a great place to work

Cons

Fast growth means change so you have to be adaptable and staffing is lean so it's a fast paced environment. But opportunity comes along with growth.

Doing Work to Help People Improve How They See Is Rewarding

Current Employee - Program Manager in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at CooperVision full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

At CooperVision, we're helping people see the world around them more clearly. We're not inventing ways to cure cancer. It's still rewarding to know your work is helping people see better, especially when you hear how it changes some people's lives. CooperVision cares about your quality of life. There is a serious investment from the top to foster health & wellness. It's really great working where people care about your health and wellness. The culture fosters open communication and feedback.

The everyday work is detailed, challenging and rewarding for the right people. Cooper provides training opportunities to improve and develop skills no matter where you're at right now. We have a lot of interesting people with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We have products that work well for patients and eye care providers. And we try new things to help our customers be successful. There are many people who have worked here for 10 - 20 years and beyond.

Cons

We need to do a better job of working together, collaborating even more effectively by utilizing rich, digital technologies to connect with each other.

Stay focused on the customer. Invest in what drives growth and helps our customers succeed. We need to accelerate. Champion adopting today's web technology to connect with each other.

Fantastic Employer!

I have been working at CooperVision full-time

Pros

CooperVision is everything I am looking for in an employer; focus on employee learning and development, challenging projects and a collaborative environment. Leadership from the top down values and appreciates employees and shows it through our fun and exciting events such as Picnics, Holiday Parties, Bowling and our Global Wellness Program.

Cons

Challenges are opportunities at CooperVision! One thing that is great about the culture at CVI is that if you recognize a challenge and present a solution; that solution is reviewed and considered. Your voice is really heard here.

The more Executives and Leaders get in front of employees and communicate- no matter what the topic- the better.

Balancing Growth & Execution - A Good Company

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Fairport, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Fairport, NY

I have been working at CooperVision full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I stumbled into this lesser know company a few years ago, and it has been a great experience ever since.

The People: You'd be hard pressed to find a coworker who wouldn't help you or listen to what you have to say.
    The Culture: Employee engagment is pretty high. Great Events. Company sponsored teams (I'm on two). Company Cares about customers and patients (and employees). Big Wellness Program. A good mix of fun, hard work, and sesnce of belonging.
    Career Development: The programs are there, but they aren't going to hand it to you. You have to ask for it and take control of your career.

Cons

No Employee Stock Purchase Plan
    Profit Sharing Should be the norm for all roles in NY

Continue to look for ways to rewards employees and continue to support a motivating work environment.

Coopervision is a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at CooperVision full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Health and healthy choices are encouraged including gym membership at local gym.
    Friendly co-workers.
    Great benefits.
    Small Company Feel
    Great commute if you live in the East Bay.

Cons

The system technology is behind other companies that I have worked for, but Coopervision is in the process of updating in the next 2-5 years.

Advertise the company more so that there is wider comapny name and brand recognition.

Good stepping stone

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juana Diaz, PR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Juana Diaz, PR

I have been working at CooperVision full-time

Pros

Comfortable work environment, most positions are very easy to learn and to execute.

Cons

Constant changing 12 hrs shifts doing monotonous work. Gets old very quickly. Very little growth opportunity and is mostly based on your assistance and not your knowledge or experience. Low salary wages with little or no raise.

Please listen more to what your employees have to say and do something about it, lots of unhappy people working for this plant and whats so unbelievable is that their needs are mostly easy things to comply with.

Great company, iffy management, and mindless labor.

Former Employee - Distribution Center Clerk in West Henrietta, NY
    Former Employee - Distribution Center Clerk in West Henrietta, NY

I worked at CooperVision as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Some of the best parts of working for Coopervision in the distribution facility is the fact that everyone understands how boring and monotonous the job is. Managment typically lets you isten to music through one headphone, as long as you keep your numbers up. Since the work I was doing was so mindless (picking) I typically listened to books on tape, worked my way though most the classics too! They also provide water on days that get too hot, and do events for employees like the Health Care carnival and bbq's.

Cons

The actual job was just boring. I was a picker so my day was spent putting boxes into other boxes. The facility is not climate controlled so expect to be freezing in the winter and burning hot in the summer. Some of the management had a high turnover rate, and some employees seemed to disappear despite sterling records.

Get into the sauce more often, many employees wish to see some of the middle management get their hands dirty every so often. There is a large, yet pragmatic divide between the office workers and warehouse workers at the facility that could use improvement.

CooperVision Response

May 23, 2014Sr. HR Generalist.com

With over 7,000 employees around the world, we provide a variety of career opportunities based on the best match between an individuals expereince and skill set and their interest in a particular ... More