Copart

Copart Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014

Copart CEO and Director A. Jayson Adair

A. Jayson Adair

Pros:
  • "ESOP, 401K, Good benefits, very stable company, great people, one big family"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Copart is relatively recession proof due to the core business model"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is absolutely clueless about how to successfully run a used car purchasing program"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are long hours, but that's to be expected in just about any job"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

....

I have been working at Copart

Prosa life learning experience, and you will learn about what are you capable of doing.

Conslong hours..10-12 hours day minimum

Very unstressfull career move that improved my quality of life.

Automotive Inspector (Current Employee)
Colton, CA

I have been working at Copart full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat company to work for, upward mobility is there for the choosing.

ConsI haven't found any yet.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse the employee forum more to your advantage.

Out of their Depth and Amateurish, but Strong Financials Mask It

IT Management (Former Employee)

I worked at Copart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFair pay, lots of work, constant change. Ambitious. Stable financially. Forced relocation to Dallas might be a plus for some.

ConsPolitics, zero accountability, goals often don't make sense. Staff not valued. Zero trust. Inability to deliver. Tendency to selectively copy larger companies without any understanding of the impact. All major IT initiatives over the last several years have been disastrous. Lots of outsourcing.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of the short term focus on making the financials look pretty, focus on a good product, strong teams and building a great company. Unless you're trying to sell the company, gutting it is going to leave you vulnerable in the future.

Too much turnover; no one wants to stay there

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Copart full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDedicated staff try to get work done; people care out the customer, they work very hard in the yards even though they are not appreciated by the leaders

ConsCEO and President have only ever worked at this company; they think every company is the same as them; too much top-down decision making; they don't live up to their stated values; especially cannot trust them.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop acting like you have all the answers; your paternalistic, anti-women attitude is disgusting

One of the worst career moves of my life

IT Department (Former Employee)
Fairfield, CA

I worked at Copart as a contractor for more than a year

ProsIts really hard to find something positive to say; there are some nice people working there but that's about it.

ConsTotal dysfunction and some of the worst management I've ever seen. In the year I was there, it was revealed that one Director had been arrested for fraud and another fired for sexual harassment. Just terribly toxic people running the place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe push to outsource is a huge mistake, the problems run deep and are being covered up by your middle managers.

Great Company to work for

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart full-time for less than a year

ProsThat you can talk with diffrent people. And work with a group of great people.

ConsYou can deal with some rude people as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay being yourself and helpful

Copart Direct Vehicle Purchasing Agent

Vehicle Purchasing Agent (Current Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Copart full-time for less than a year

ProsFast paced "boiler room" environment
Taught how to negotiate and close deals
Management really seems to want to help us succeed
Great team environment where everyone interacts throughout the day

ConsThere's a lot of pressure to hit your sales goals but if you have a strong sales background and know the industry this is not really a big issue. The quota to keep in good standing is quite high but not out of reach if you hustle.

sucks!

Decline to State (Former Employee)

I worked at Copart full-time for more than a year

ProsOk I need to use 20 words minimum - None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.None.
'nuff said

ConsCTO has no clue of what is needed to be done. Wants everything done yesterday but repairing a badly designed house takes long. That too with no diagrams or documents.

They brought in one of the Big 4 Consulting organizations - sacked them and sued them. Then brought another consulting organization - sacked them too and are suing them.
They brought in a third consulting organization for the website re-design - sacked them and got someone else. The redesign was delivered 6 months late and on linked in you will find everyone claiming credit for the project. HEY - what about the other 5 projects which are not seeing the light of the day? AIMOS? eh?

AIMOS was the redesign project for the backend database. Originally it was scheduled to have been delivered in October 2012. Then it became December 17, 2012. Now not only is it NOT going to be delivered in 2013 but the date in 2014 is also uncertain.

AIMOS could be a great case-study for how NOT to run a project.

Combined with a Network Operations Center being moved to an outsourced vendor from Nevada to TX. An auction company? What about Internet latency because from a single premise host of Auction engine and DB2 in the same location, you are moving to a SAP hosted in New Jersey and Auction hosted in TX?

Advice to Senior ManagementWhy not make Performance the criterion for keeping the TSS Directors in place? With such a fiasco, why are they still in their jobs?

Don't walk, run away from working at Copart Direct

Vehicle Purchasing Agent (Former Employee)

I worked at Copart full-time for more than a year

ProsPro? I was able to omit this joke of a company from my resume. It literally adds no value to any reputable automotive career. If you have a positive review of this department you are either a management pet or have had it really rough at previous jobs. Really rough.

ConsWorking long hours in a telemarketing phone room environment with useless middle management lackeys micromanaging every minute of your work days. Constant policy changes and no real vision from the senior management. A "wing it" atmosphere with no real structure or tools but plenty of reporting for performance management purposes. High performing agents are allowed to lie, cheat and steal from customers and other coworkers as long as they meet or exceed their quotas.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to think about more than 1 possible outcome resulting from your horrible knee jerk management style. Reversing new policies and changing your mind at the drop of a hat isn't the sign of a progressive forward thinking company, it just makes you look incompetent.

Good depending on where you worked for them...

Yard Manager (Former Employee)
Charleston, WV

I worked at Copart full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere is a good sense of community felt throughout the staff. They also offer many opportunities to advance. They also have good staff that is willing to help. Some of the best people to work for. They are down to earth and they are willing to help as much as they can. It was started from a source of humility and it still has that humble element to it.

ConsManagement is not well trained. That may be the price you pay with hiring from within. But the sense that your manager is intimated by you because you may take his job is not a motivator to improve work. At a corporate level there is HR intervention, however at the smaller yard to yard level there is nothing. Your manager paints the picture to HR not HR coming and seeing if Management is the issue.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, try and understand their concerns.

Worked for Copart? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Copart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Copart CEO A. Jayson Adair. All 96 reviews posted anonymously by Copart employees.