Copart

Copart Reviews

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Copart CEO Willis J. Johnson

Willis J. Johnson

Pros
  • It's your average 8-5 job but yeah you do overtime during the busy season just like any employee would(in 7 reviews)

• Copart is virtually a recession proof job, as long as people drive cars(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is absolutely clueless about how to successfully run a used car purchasing program(in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes there are long hours, but that's to be expected in just about any job(in 8 reviews)

Not great. Very hectic and unorganized group.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsYou won't be bored. Very busy.

ConsUnorganized; chaotic; no clear directions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

Apr 14, 2014

Thanks for your review--we certainly do have a fast-paced workplace. I noticed you indicated you were currently working with us as a contractor and I would be very interested in meeting to discuss ... More

Interesting industry & Managament

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat founding story. opportunities if you are a hardworker, good stepping stone to launch your career in management if you work it right.

Conspay is very average, benefits are average, leadership is sketchy at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your success was built on the backs of your employees, listen to and value your people in the field.

Apr 1, 2014

Thanks for your review--I appreciate your comments about Copart having opportunities for hard workers and our being a place to begin your career in management. I also noticed you indicated that you ... More

Great Opportunity, If You Appreciate It

General Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe culture of change and growth will either make you a strong and determined leader, or burnt out; the choice is yours.

Associate involvement is huge.

You can make a difference, just look up the stories of the founders and executives.

ConsHR is inept.

It is what you make it, so if you are lazy, bitter, or negative; you will fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work hard on what you do. Thank you for the opportunity.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Copart doesn't sugar coat

Operations Manager Trainee (Current Employee) Columbus, OH

ProsI really like working for Copart. I have been here for almost a year now and nothing has been a surprise to me. From the first conversation I had with a Copart recruit, they were very honest about the job. It's your average 8-5 job but yeah you do overtime during the busy season just like any employee would. The people I work with daily are good people they work hard. Employees get stressed and sometimes frustrated but that's any job and especially when a company such as us is growing.

This job is a job you want when you want hard working employees, when you want a challenge, and when you want to embrace change.

ConsCopart can be challenging because you have to be capable of wearing more than one hat. You don't just have one basic client/ customer. At Copart you have to please your sellers and your buyers. It can be stressful if you let it be. You have to enjoy what your doing because it will show through the quality of work your doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to the employees.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A Great Place to Grow

General Manager (Current Employee) Des Moines, IA

ProsGood basic business training - I was brought in as a management trainee and given an opportunity to learn about every aspect of business in my training.

Great growth opportunities - The company has and continues to grow; and Copart management have shown a commitment to promote deserving candidates from within.

An empowered sense of ownership - One of the greatest things about being a manager at Copart is the sense of ownership in running my own facility. If you like to tackle new challenges daily, then this is a good place to be.

The company is financially sound and continues to grow, so I would say there are very few places to pursue a career at this point.

ConsThe job can be challenging and is not definitely not for the timid.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere could be improved communication and interaction between Corporate and the field to give employees a greater sense of belonging.

Whirlwind

Call Center Representative (Former Employee) Fairfield, CA

ProsGreat company to work for. However the department I was in, was a new venture for Copart. This company holds auctions all over the world for vehicles. They are best known for insurance salvage vehicles. They also get clear title vehicles and even some clean classic cars.You must be a licensed dealer or get one to broker the deal for you. They charge a $25 one time membership fee and require a deposit to bid.

ConsThey dipped into trying to acquire salvage cars from Hurricane Katrina. They had a call center built to bring in more business for COPART. This department was very unorganized and expectations was unrealistic. Management was more concerned with numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSad to say due to the lack of proper training and concern. The entire department were laid off. Only two employees who came in from another department, were offered a transferred to a sister company out of state.

Apr 10, 2014

In mid-2013 the Company did acquire a business which included a call center and relocated call center services to the new facility resulting in the consolidation of a number of small, satellite call ... More

Challenging

Yard Supervisor (Current Employee) Hurricane, WV

ProsWhat i like working at Copart is that its fast paced, not much down time ever, The salary pays more than most business' do. Its and 8-5. M-F, weekends off

ConsTurn over can be high when GM's change, Not always appreciated for what you do.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to show more appreciation for its lower staff.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Your future is in your hands.

Management (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsESOP, 401K, Good benefits, very stable company, great people, one big family

ConsThere is nothing at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what we're doing.

I worked in the Human Resources department in the Fairfield, CA Headquarters. I had a very positive experience.

Human Resources (Former Employee) Fairfield, CA

ProsCopart has an amazing work environment, very nice, team oriented people. They are great at emphasizing life work balance.

ConsWHile it's overall a great environment, it is a bit of a boys club. Also, they are no longer located in Fairfield, California. They have relocated their headquarters to Texas.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management needs to get out of the old school, boys club mentality.

Great Place to Work

ProsESOP, 401K, Medical, good pay.

ConsCommunication needs improvement. IT department is very weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorrect communictaion

Worked for Copart? Contribute to the Community!