Copart

Copart Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Copart CEO and Director A. Jayson Adair

A. Jayson Adair

Pros:
  • "This company is mostly recession proof because of their contracts with car insurance companies"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Fast paced "boiler room" environment"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management is absolutely clueless about how to successfully run a used car purchasing program"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are long hours, but that's to be expected in just about any job"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place for high performers looking to grow

Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart full-time for more than a year

ProsFast paced work environment, management and Sr. leadership recognize you for your contributions to the company's success. Company offers excellent benefits with low deductibles or copays and a great stock plan for those willing to participate. Copart can be a career destination if you're willing to keep an open mind and are willing to work hard as a member of the team.

ConsRapid change can be somewhat frustrating at times and the company runs lean from a people perspective which can lead to some long hours from now and then.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to live the culture and demonstrate through action what the company values. Don't underestimate the "small stuff".

Challenging but rewarding place to be employed.

I have been working at Copart full-time for less than a year

ProsFast paced. Good hours, flexible employees

ConsCan't please or make everybody happy

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication with employees regarding job performance be it positive or negative.

A positive working environment that encourages growth

Leadership Development Program (Current Employee)

I have been working at Copart full-time for less than a year

ProsMy experience with Copart has been great. No day is the same and the opportunities to take on new tasks, while learning new things is endless. From the beginning during the interview process, Copart was thorough in providing answers to any question I had, while making sure the job was something you definitely had interest in. Once I was offered and accepted the job, I spent four weeks in Dallas training. The instructors were well read and always offered additional help if needed. The class offered a hands on approach that made the four weeks fly by. We had approximately fifteen students in the class and everyone was supportive to each other while learning in a collaborative environment. This was a major plus seeing the curriculum was new to all of us. Great people and I still stay in touch with many of them. I've since been assigned to a mentor yard and am nearing completion of this phase. Soon, I will begin to explore possibilities of where I'd like to go next as an Assistant General Manage. Its pretty exciting. The company gives you two weeks vacation, accrued once you've completed your first year and sick days as well. Overtime can be a part of the job, however, as I near completion of my first year, I can say most weekends I've had to myself. I think if you have the right attitude, a willingness to learn and relish the opportunity to take on new challenges, than Copart offers a great career path.

ConsMy experience has been positive, however, if there was one thing I'd consider as a "con", I'd like to see more communication between the trainee and management regarding progress throughout the training.

Apr 14, 2014

Thanks for your positive review--please do let us know if you see things you feel could be improved upon. Our employees play an important role in identifying and implementing changes to better the ... More

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fast paced, stay on your toes

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Copart full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of new initiatives.
They are willing to fund the new initiatives.
Treated with respect.
Good place to earn a living

ConsNever enough time as we are juggling numerous programs at once ( Can be a plus )

Advice to Senior ManagementMarketing and Design should give us the assets and look and feel, then get out of the way and let engineering choose the platform and technologies to complete that vsision.

Not great. Very hectic and unorganized group.

Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart as a contractor

ProsYou won't be bored. Very busy.

ConsUnorganized; chaotic; no clear directions.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet it together.

Apr 14, 2014

Thanks for your review--we certainly do have a fast-paced workplace. I noticed you indicated you were currently working with us as a contractor and I would be very interested in meeting to discuss ... More

Interesting industry & Managament

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Copart full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat founding story. opportunities if you are a hardworker, good stepping stone to launch your career in management if you work it right.

Conspay is very average, benefits are average, leadership is sketchy at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your success was built on the backs of your employees, listen to and value your people in the field.

Apr 1, 2014

Thanks for your review--I appreciate your comments about Copart having opportunities for hard workers and our being a place to begin your career in management. I also noticed you indicated that you ... More

Great Opportunity, If You Appreciate It

General Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Copart full-time for more than a year

ProsThe culture of change and growth will either make you a strong and determined leader, or burnt out; the choice is yours.

Associate involvement is huge.

You can make a difference, just look up the stories of the founders and executives.

ConsHR is inept.

It is what you make it, so if you are lazy, bitter, or negative; you will fail.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work hard on what you do. Thank you for the opportunity.

Copart doesn't sugar coat

Operations Manager Trainee (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH

I have been working at Copart full-time for less than a year

ProsI really like working for Copart. I have been here for almost a year now and nothing has been a surprise to me. From the first conversation I had with a Copart recruit, they were very honest about the job. It's your average 8-5 job but yeah you do overtime during the busy season just like any employee would. The people I work with daily are good people they work hard. Employees get stressed and sometimes frustrated but that's any job and especially when a company such as us is growing.

This job is a job you want when you want hard working employees, when you want a challenge, and when you want to embrace change.

ConsCopart can be challenging because you have to be capable of wearing more than one hat. You don't just have one basic client/ customer. At Copart you have to please your sellers and your buyers. It can be stressful if you let it be. You have to enjoy what your doing because it will show through the quality of work your doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to the employees.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

A Great Place to Grow

General Manager (Current Employee)
Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Copart full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood basic business training - I was brought in as a management trainee and given an opportunity to learn about every aspect of business in my training.

Great growth opportunities - The company has and continues to grow; and Copart management have shown a commitment to promote deserving candidates from within.

An empowered sense of ownership - One of the greatest things about being a manager at Copart is the sense of ownership in running my own facility. If you like to tackle new challenges daily, then this is a good place to be.

The company is financially sound and continues to grow, so I would say there are very few places to pursue a career at this point.

ConsThe job can be challenging and is not definitely not for the timid.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere could be improved communication and interaction between Corporate and the field to give employees a greater sense of belonging.

Whirlwind

Call Center Representative (Former Employee)
Fairfield, CA

I worked at Copart full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat company to work for. However the department I was in, was a new venture for Copart. This company holds auctions all over the world for vehicles. They are best known for insurance salvage vehicles. They also get clear title vehicles and even some clean classic cars.You must be a licensed dealer or get one to broker the deal for you. They charge a $25 one time membership fee and require a deposit to bid.

ConsThey dipped into trying to acquire salvage cars from Hurricane Katrina. They had a call center built to bring in more business for COPART. This department was very unorganized and expectations was unrealistic. Management was more concerned with numbers.

Advice to Senior ManagementSad to say due to the lack of proper training and concern. The entire department were laid off. Only two employees who came in from another department, were offered a transferred to a sister company out of state.

Apr 10, 2014

In mid-2013 the Company did acquire a business which included a call center and relocated call center services to the new facility resulting in the consolidation of a number of small, satellite call ... More

Worked for Copart? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Copart reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Copart CEO A. Jayson Adair. All 97 reviews posted anonymously by Copart employees.