Copart Reviews

Updated April 9, 2015
170 reviews filtered by
2.7
Jay Adair

Pros
  • It's your average 8-5 job but yeah you do overtime during the busy season just like any employee would (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits and diverse working conditions, and job security (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is absolutely clueless about how to successfully run a used car purchasing program (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes there are long hours, but that's to be expected in just about any job (in 8 reviews)

1. Customer Service Representative

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gainesville, GA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Gainesville, GA

I have been working at Copart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Working hours.
    Starting wage rate.
    Opportunities to get new knowledge everyday.
    Management does great at the Gainesville Office. They very kind and supportive.
    Co-workers are great people to work with and very supportive also.
    Great benefits.

Cons

For me, I did not find any cons until now, except for the raise policy does not give you much opportunity to increase your income unless getting a promotion.

Advice to Management

None at this time.

2. Good experience to learn and freedom to code

Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Intern - Software Engineer Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart as an intern

Pros

Provides opportunity to learn and try new technologies. You get a chance to meet the higher management and they recognize your work.

Cons

Low pay, Interns are paid on the basis they punch in and punch out. The app that they use is very bad and it a trouble using it everyday to log your hours.

Be careful..........Make sure you have the right "fit" with your manager

I worked at Copart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Promotional opportunities, busy, solid company financially, esop program

Cons

Cronyism, lots of managers but few leaders. Its interesting to read all the comments from current and former employees, especially those with negative comments and I can assure you, I have seen it all and had some of it happen to me. From the bullying, to making up stories to fire someone. This usually happens when there is a management change and they want you gone. Often the oldest, dirtiest trick in the book is employed....just like breaking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend, the manager will often start a fight/disagreement over the most mundane, non-issue/policy, which on any given day is repeated/violated in every yard(or in other terms selective enforcement) and start the documentation process or if successful in engaging you in an argument, fire you on the spot for insubordination. Or, use the some of the highly subjective audits(E&S, FQR,SQR etc) to give the appearance your yard is a mess and in some cases effect a pay plan. There really isn't a way around this. You are told there is an arbitration process but in reality it is a farce. Contrary to the Corporate responses to these issues, fear of retaliation is real due to what I term "unholy alliances" and very little has been done to address the issues. When I was employed, there were times when I could not believe some of things that were going on in the region, that were unaddressed by Sr Mgrs. In the end, it is simply a matter of management style and culture within your region. And with all due respect to the former employees, do not expect any thing to come of these posts. "if they weren't listening to you when you were employed, they certainly are not going to listen to you while no longer employed" Your responses are all viewed from a "disgruntled employee" point of view and get little or no traction. With all this being said, sometimes the best thing to do is move on. It isn't a crime or a violation of policy to have a management style that is contrary to what you believe in. But with the turnover rate being what it is(please see below), maybe the people who purport to be so sharp and are such great managers and say "it cant be me or my fault" take a little closer look in the mirror

Advice to Management

Please see above. Maybe some of these are reasons why the turnover rate is 70+% for yard employees and 40+% for inside. When certain audit scores are missed, managers all too often "beat up" or bully their people which sets off a chain reaction of "poor pay" "too much work" "not appreciated" etc. Instead of putting in stop gap "new testing" policies and procedures to identify "better" hires, try improving the quality of your existing managers, both at the GM and RM levels...Are they really that bad at hiring?? Thank you for listening.

5. Copart is a great place to work;

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Copart full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I love the office culture and workload. I got along well with my co-workers and managers. The people here were knowledgeable about their job. I work in software development and the workload is neither too light nor too heavy.

Cons

My pay is not that high for a software engineer. Software engineers at other companies make much more than me.

Inconsiderate multi billion dollar company who ruins people's lives. (Corporate office)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Addison, TX

I worked at Copart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The CEO is a very nice man, but he doesn't know how shady his employees are.

Cons

I am pregnant, in order to save mine and my child's life I have had to have 2 EMERGENCY surgeries. While I was working at copart is when these surgeries occurred, I had doctors notes and kept in contact with my boss daily to keep him updated on my return. Let me reinstate, I could have died or my baby Could have died if I didn't not get these surgeries. The day of my return from my second surgery, I was fired. At 4 months pregnant, had just been through hell, and I was fired. I then applied for unemployment and was approved since the state found that copart did not have a good reason to fire me, in total they would end up paying me around 5000 in unemployment, but instead of wanting to cough up the measly 5000 out of thier fat wallets, they are appealing my unemployment with the state. me and my husband and son are now having to move because we can't afford our house, no one will hire me because I'm pregnant, we are constantly worried about putting food on the table, copart has destroyed a family and they can't even pay me unemployment for a few months? Thanks copart for making this pregnancy even harder than it has been.

Advice to Management

Don't mess up your employees work while they are out with life threatening illnesses and then try to blame it on them when they return to work and then fire them to cover it up. Karma will get you for that.

7. Nice company

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Martinez, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Martinez, CA

I worked at Copart

Pros

Busy work, Answering In bound and making outbound calls. General Office

Cons

No growth opportunity. Management seems to not have enough to do, while the employees bust their hump.

Advice to Management

Work harder to show approval of employee success and advancement. Better Pay and raises!

great at first, then the restructuring and personal vendetta(s) from middle management turn the environment toxic.

Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Dallas, TX

I worked at Copart full-time (less than a year)

Pros

very fast pace, and the majority of people are willing to knowledge share with different projects that allowed you to better understand the overall scope of the office.

Cons

middle management much rather look for reasons (irrelevant to your responsibilities) to 'out you' or 'talk about you to other middle management' than to explore fixes to the overall environment and fight against upper management which would make the company run so much smoothly. you will spend more time spinning the wheels and looking over your shoulder than actually accomplishing any project wise.

very much a slow reactive rather than proactive environment.

Advice to Management

stop sticking your heads in the sand and plugging your ears saying 'no, no, no, no' to change and actually listen to the suggestions put forth many times by the people who are actually doing the work and getting their hands dirty.

you can change from reactive to proactive in a short period of time.

Don't tow for them

Former Contractor - Owner Operator of A Towing Company in Hollywood, MD
    Former Contractor - Owner Operator of A Towing Company in Hollywood, MD

I worked at Copart as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Plenty of car to tow

Cons

Not enough pay for picking up cars no pay for dry runs no pay for two location pick up

Advice to Management

Pay more to pick up cars pay a percent of dry runs and two location pick up listen more to the needs and you may keep tow companies towing for you trucks don't run for free

Run as fast as you can.

Former Employee - General Manager
    Former Employee - General Manager

I worked at Copart

Pros

Absolutely nothing I saw since I was there.

Cons

Lots of turnover, fly-bys. peanuts for the amount of hours you have to work.

Advice to Management

treat the employees at the yards with some respect.

Horrible

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I worked at Copart full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

None, The only thing that I liked were the hours

Cons

Not friendly or caring towards associates. Managers are rude and disrespectful don't care about their associates as people.