Copart

ww2.copart.com

Copart Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Jay Adair

Pros
  • It's your average 8-5 job but yeah you do overtime during the busy season just like any employee would (in 7 reviews)

• Copart is virtually a recession proof job, as long as people drive cars (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is absolutely clueless about how to successfully run a used car purchasing program (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes there are long hours, but that's to be expected in just about any job (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A billion dollar company struggling to operate like a billion dollar company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsChallenging work environment at the Yards and at Corporate office. Hard working respectful environment. Executive leadership has risen through the ranks and has a clear understanding of the business. Unique business model. Copart is poised for US and international growth and is financially solid.

ConsCorporate office personnel are very scared after a series of layoffs scaling back certain business areas. Credible Fear of more reductions in force is now sickening the corporate office work productivity and the physical health of some employees. Some leadership seem to be embracing a "when they're down kick 'em harder" mentality to do more work with less personnel.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate has reached a tipping point after the last series of layoffs. Some understandable. But, in 10 years I've never seen it so bad. Personnel, new and old, are so scared of future layoffs that industry leading professionals who love Copart are close to leaving. If you plan to keep people or lay people off please communicate these expectations honestly and early. People feel like they're not valued. Our word is our bond. It is much better to lay out clear expectations than leaving your employees in fear and affecting productivity and your bottom line.

Nice place to work

Communications (Former Employee) Fairfield, CA

ProsGrowing company, good company culture (in theory if not practice), constant striving to make technology and market placement better, which leads to enthusiasm from portion of workforce that wants to be with growing company.

ConsManagement always takes care of management first, with little regard to affect on labor -- including big company move from Texas to California.

Advice to Senior ManagementReally believe what you say you believe. It's obvious that key company values are all secondary to profit.

Copart, a Java centric shop needs to shed it's lackluster big dopey company image.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Fairfield, CA

ProsGood support from co-workers. Pays on time. Engineering management has there act somewhat together.

ConsCommute not the best. Java centric shop so if you develop with something else you are on your own. Unrealistic project dates etc. Not invented here syndrome...

Advice to Senior ManagementCopart needs to shed it's lackluster big dopey company image. Engineering needs to be modernized by using Agile methodolgies etc.

Jul 23, 2014Vice President Human Resources

As you probably have seen, we're taking steps to make sure employees DO get more engaged and that their ideas for improving our company are heard. If you haven't had a chance to attend any of our ... More

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love it

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Tampa, FL

ProsPay, the hours, work life

Conspersonal growth, time off policies

Advice to Senior Managementwork-life balance, personal growth

THANKS!

Anonymous

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-company culture
    -HR Department
    -GM's are great

ConsMicromanagement
    Top Heavy
    No open door policy

Jul 23, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for your review and for the props of the HR Department! I noticed you mentioned a lack of an open-door policy in your "Cons" and would welcome a call to discuss how we do make an effort to ... More

Toxic, hilarious, unprofessional

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNone that I can think of

ConsAll the worst work environment/experience attributes will be experienced in a single day

Advice to Senior ManagementNone that I can think of

Senior Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe projects were exciting and challenging. I met many talented and dedicated peers, in the process gaining knowledge of various platforms that integrated with the AS/400.

ConsMany different managers that did not have the same common interest. Moving HQ from California to Texas left many hard decisions for most employees

Technology Leader

Technology Manager (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsI can't really say anything pro about this company outside of the fact that they have a pretty good hold on the marketplace for what they do

Cons1) horrible CEO
    10) no bonus outside of VP or higher levels
    11) no vacation for entire first year

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit

Jul 24, 2014Vice President Human Resources

I was sorry to read that you were unable to find anything "pro" to say about your time with Copart, and after reading your post I wanted to attempt to address a few of the points you raised in hopes ... More

A Great Place to Work with a Market Innovator

Pros8-5 or 6pm and weekends off, good benefits and good health insurance company is extremely well capitalized and continues to innovate and grow. This company places a high value on integrity and tries to do the right thing when the inevitable problem pops up

ConsHaven't found any yet ... only been with the company for 4 months.

Jul 23, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Welcome to the Team! With 4 months in, you're probably getting acclimated and I want to encourage you to be an ACTIVE PLAYER -- If you have questions about the business, or ideas on how to make our ... More

much better than what i expected - LDP

Leadership Development Program (Current Employee)

ProsThe people are amazing at the yards. It is always exciting and something new. Stock plan. Leadership Development Program is new but definitely going places. New suggestions are heard. The hourly employees really are the ones who make going in everyday bearable.

ConsYard employee turnover. Corporate does not allow GMs to venture out and be creative to do things they think will better the company. Stress of being fired for not meeting unrealistic goals set by corporate. Take advantage of salaried employees by limited lunches to less than half hour often.

Advice to Senior ManagementBenefits could be better. Mostly the unrealistic goals/standards for audits needs to be changed because each yard has its own individual problems/issues/benefits that do not fit the guidelines. Salaried employees should be allowed to take at least 30 minute lunch breaks instead of being told to get back to work when they have to go in early and usually stay late.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Jul 23, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to post--With regard to your comment about the turnover in the Yard, I'd love the opportunity to talk with you about ideas you have to improve the experience for our yard ... More

Worked for Copart? Contribute to the Community!