Copart Reviews

Updated August 21, 2014
Updated August 21, 2014

2.9

Jay Adair

Pros
  • It's your average 8-5 job but yeah you do overtime during the busy season just like any employee would (in 7 reviews)

• Copart is virtually a recession proof job, as long as people drive cars (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is absolutely clueless about how to successfully run a used car purchasing program (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes there are long hours, but that's to be expected in just about any job (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Communications  in  Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Communications in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Copart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Growing company, good company culture (in theory if not practice), constant striving to make technology and market placement better, which leads to enthusiasm from portion of workforce that wants to be with growing company.

Cons

Management always takes care of management first, with little regard to affect on labor -- including big company move from Texas to California.

Really believe what you say you believe. It's obvious that key company values are all secondary to profit.

Aug 6, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for being willing to recommend us to a friend!

ERP implementation timeline unrealistic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Copart for more than a year

Pros

Solid IT work group. Good business model.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of ERP conversion. Layoff of the wrong people at the wrong time.
    Disappointing benefits.

Listen to the people who are/will be doing the actually work.

A billion dollar company struggling to operate like a billion dollar company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging work environment at the Yards and at Corporate office. Hard working respectful environment. Executive leadership has risen through the ranks and has a clear understanding of the business. Unique business model. Copart is poised for US and international growth and is financially solid.

Cons

Corporate office personnel are very scared after a series of layoffs scaling back certain business areas. Credible Fear of more reductions in force is now sickening the corporate office work productivity and the physical health of some employees. Some leadership seem to be embracing a "when they're down kick 'em harder" mentality to do more work with less personnel.

Corporate has reached a tipping point after the last series of layoffs. Some understandable. But, in 10 years I've never seen it so bad. Personnel, new and old, are so scared of future layoffs that industry leading professionals who love Copart are close to leaving. If you plan to keep people or lay people off please communicate these expectations honestly and early. People feel like they're not valued. Our word is our bond. It is much better to lay out clear expectations than leaving your employees in fear and affecting productivity and your bottom line.

Aug 4, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for your post. I'd like to take a moment to address the concerns you noted in your "cons" section as there has been a great deal of change in the Corporate office over the past year or so ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Copart, a Java centric shop needs to shed it's lackluster big dopey company image.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Copart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good support from co-workers. Pays on time. Engineering management has there act somewhat together.

Cons

Commute not the best. Java centric shop so if you develop with something else you are on your own. Unrealistic project dates etc. Not invented here syndrome...

Copart needs to shed it's lackluster big dopey company image. Engineering needs to be modernized by using Agile methodolgies etc.

Jul 23, 2014Vice President Human Resources

As you probably have seen, we're taking steps to make sure employees DO get more engaged and that their ideas for improving our company are heard. If you haven't had a chance to attend any of our ... More

Love it

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Copart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Pay, the hours, work life

Cons

personal growth, time off policies

work-life balance, personal growth

THANKS!

No clue of future technology direction

Former Employee - IT Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Copart full-time for less than a year

Pros

Can't think of many pros. Couple of genuine folks in IT management but no power to change anything.

Cons

Expectation to work overtime without being compensated. No paid time off for first year. No flexibility of working remotely. Constant change of direction causes confusion and loss of productivity. Rude and unprofessional behavior from ERP director and false promises.

Management needs to figure out the end goal and cost involved before hiring full time employees for projects. If are not certain then bring contractors and avoid firing full time employees. Ruined multiple people's lives by their lack of direction. Top execs need to empower their managers and directors to give them more decision making power.

Aug 28, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for taking time to post and I am sorry to read of your dissatisfaction with your experience while employed with Copart. I can truly appreciate your frustration in the fact that the decision ... More

Anonymous

I worked at Copart

Pros

-company culture
    -HR Department
    -GM's are great

Cons

Micromanagement
    Top Heavy
    No open door policy

Jul 23, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for your review and for the props of the HR Department! I noticed you mentioned a lack of an open-door policy in your "Cons" and would welcome a call to discuss how we do make an effort to ... More

Toxic, hilarious, unprofessional

I worked at Copart full-time

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

All the worst work environment/experience attributes will be experienced in a single day

None that I can think of

Senior Analyst

I worked at Copart

Pros

The projects were exciting and challenging. I met many talented and dedicated peers, in the process gaining knowledge of various platforms that integrated with the AS/400.

Cons

Many different managers that did not have the same common interest. Moving HQ from California to Texas left many hard decisions for most employees

Technology Leader

Former Employee - Technology Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Copart full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't really say anything pro about this company outside of the fact that they have a pretty good hold on the marketplace for what they do

Cons

1) horrible CEO
    2) horrible CMO
    10) no bonus outside of VP or higher levels
    11) no vacation for entire first year

Quit

Jul 24, 2014Vice President Human Resources

I was sorry to read that you were unable to find anything "pro" to say about your time with Copart, and after reading your post I wanted to attempt to address a few of the points you raised in hopes ... More

Worked for Copart? Contribute to the Community!