Copart Reviews

Updated September 11, 2014
Updated September 11, 2014
2.9

Jay Adair

Pros
  • It's your average 8-5 job but yeah you do overtime during the busy season just like any employee would (in 7 reviews)

• Copart is virtually a recession proof job, as long as people drive cars (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is absolutely clueless about how to successfully run a used car purchasing program (in 9 reviews)

• Sometimes there are long hours, but that's to be expected in just about any job (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Toxic, hilarious, unprofessional

I worked at Copart full-time

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

All the worst work environment/experience attributes will be experienced in a single day

None that I can think of

Technology Leader

Former Employee - Technology Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Copart full-time for more than a year

Pros

I can't really say anything pro about this company outside of the fact that they have a pretty good hold on the marketplace for what they do

Cons

1) horrible CEO
    2) horrible CMO
    10) no bonus outside of VP or higher levels
    11) no vacation for entire first year

Quit

Jul 24, 2014Vice President Human Resources

I was sorry to read that you were unable to find anything "pro" to say about your time with Copart, and after reading your post I wanted to attempt to address a few of the points you raised in hopes ... More

Senior Analyst

I worked at Copart

Pros

The projects were exciting and challenging. I met many talented and dedicated peers, in the process gaining knowledge of various platforms that integrated with the AS/400.

Cons

Many different managers that did not have the same common interest. Moving HQ from California to Texas left many hard decisions for most employees

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

much better than what i expected - LDP

Current Employee - Leadership Development Program
    Current Employee - Leadership Development Program

I have been working at Copart full-time

Pros

The people are amazing at the yards. It is always exciting and something new. Stock plan. Leadership Development Program is new but definitely going places. New suggestions are heard. The hourly employees really are the ones who make going in everyday bearable.

Cons

Yard employee turnover. Corporate does not allow GMs to venture out and be creative to do things they think will better the company. Stress of being fired for not meeting unrealistic goals set by corporate. Take advantage of salaried employees by limited lunches to less than half hour often.

Benefits could be better. Mostly the unrealistic goals/standards for audits needs to be changed because each yard has its own individual problems/issues/benefits that do not fit the guidelines. Salaried employees should be allowed to take at least 30 minute lunch breaks instead of being told to get back to work when they have to go in early and usually stay late.

Jul 23, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to post--With regard to your comment about the turnover in the Yard, I'd love the opportunity to talk with you about ideas you have to improve the experience for our yard ... More

A Great Place to Work with a Market Innovator

I have been working at Copart full-time for less than a year

Pros

8-5 or 6pm and weekends off, good benefits and good health insurance company is extremely well capitalized and continues to innovate and grow. This company places a high value on integrity and tries to do the right thing when the inevitable problem pops up

Cons

Haven't found any yet ... only been with the company for 4 months.

Jul 23, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Welcome to the Team! With 4 months in, you're probably getting acclimated and I want to encourage you to be an ACTIVE PLAYER -- If you have questions about the business, or ideas on how to make our ... More

Copart is a great place to work. They do a lot for us, and the people are wonderful

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative

I have been working at Copart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I love Copart. I wish I could stay, but I need to work on starting my career now that I have completed my degree. The people are great, both fellow employees and the customers you interact with every day. The health insurance is pretty good. Days off accrue if you don't use them, which is pretty awesome.

Cons

Retirement benefits are pretty poor. There isn't much room for growth, unless you are interested in management. Like all customer service positions, things can get pretty hectic, and you might need to really work to keep a level head.

Jul 23, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Congrats on getting your degree! We hate to see you go--Have you considered staying with Copart and pursuing our Leadership Development Program especially developed for recent college graduates ... More

CSR

I worked at Copart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy job. Repetitive, cannot mess up job.

Cons

The pay is terrible. Works employees like slaves

Corporate needs to stop sending ridiculous requests for yards to follow. Try working there for a day!

Great company to own stock in, poor place to work with little structure at corporate level & top down leadership

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Copart full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is a strong business with solid growth potential and the ability to expand globally. It is a recession proof business as well. There is a fast pace and decisions are taken quickly - no big committees, just sr. leadership buy in and you can go. The leadership really knows their business from top to bottom which is refreshing - no business school execs at Copart - they can drive a loader!

Cons

Compensation is poor, bonus is not structured and based on sr. leadership's mood about you, all decisions are taken by President and CEO, there is not trust or delegation - even small expenses require presidential approval. There is no planning framework or strategy as leadership runs the place by the seat of their pants and changes directions quickly and not always wisely. There is a good ol boys club atmosphere and if you can get in that club you can make a bunch of money - but its a tough club to crack and only a very few of the top insiders get there - those guys make tons of money.

Do some better planning, share the wealth with a structured bonus program and profit sharing. It's a good company to own stock in and it wouldn't take much to make it a great place to work - take the effort to do so guys!

Nightmare

Former Employee - Senior Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Copart full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company provided decent benefits, and provided work-life balance in areas outside of IT. Free coffee was in abundance.

Cons

I have recently worked in the Dallas office, in the IT area, and am certainly glad to be out of there.

After talking to several folks I have come to the conclusion that this company is very unfit to stay in business, especially if they use technology to run their business. The IT area is in complete chaos. Too many individuals in upper management with hardly any meaningful knowledge, who are in the habit of letting people go on their whims and fancy and then they get rewarded with huge cash bonuses. Quite a few are related to someone higher up.

Now about the IT area – This Company decided to implement a SAP System to handle their entire operations. Two different vendors failed because of wants rather than needs. The Company decided to take on this endeavor the third time with in-house expertise headed by a very rude, non-understanding individual and who never listened to any of his people. Upper level management was blind to not see the disastrous path that was being followed. There was no process in place and nothing was documented. Repeated indications were in vain. The path to failure was put in place by management from day 1. When D-Day arrived to declare project schedules and anticipated budgets based on requirements, they did a complete U turn letting go several people including myself, some of which had to go back to their home country with no future. The IT area has written off several Million USD. They have handed out undeserving promotions and cash bonuses.

The management did not care about people’s lives and project protocols that need to be followed. In fact the project team was being pushed to look into creating long work weeks and also work on weekends. Some individuals seem to know it all about working thru the SAP implementation.

A former employee!

Please see thru the smoke screen. The world is a lot greener on the other side.

Aug 28, 2014Vice President Human Resources

While the reviewer is correct in the fact that the company decided to change direction on its major IT project, it should be noted that Copart took an active role in assisting employees who were ... More

An opportunity that changed my thinking

Current Employee - Manager  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I'm having the opportunity to learn about everything inside the company, not only about my own department.

Cons

Sometimes you need to do things by yourself, even if is expected that somebody else do, doesn't matter what kind of labor is, otherwise, the fault will fall over you.

Teach all the time, but listen is necessary

Worked for Copart? Contribute to the Community!