Copart

Employer Engaged

Worst ever

Current Employee - Yard Manager
    Current Employee - Yard Manager

I have been working at Copart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can work at this place until they hall you by ambulance from over work and no pay. They've bought all the competition and have a complete monopoly on the salvage auto auction business.

Cons

Low pay, brutal hours. Copart could careless about their employees and work life balance. Work life balance was a joke - all work and NO life. Employees work like dogs and managers are morons which revolve out the door quickly - 23 GM's in 6 months. Then they bring in a new idiot. Manager's also do their best to rip off and miss lead their customers when possible. Many customer lost thousands of dollars buying cars that were not advertise truthfully.

Hire some GM's that at least have some empathy(and brains) for the employees that are currently treated as though they work in a sweat shop. Upper management is a criminal operation.

Dec 2, 2014Vice President Human Resources

I was very disappointed to read your review and can sense you are very frustrated with the work environment. We certainly do not want any of our employees to work themselves to the breaking point ... More

CSR

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bridgeton, MO
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Bridgeton, MO

I worked at Copart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits and diverse working conditions, and job security.

Cons

The needs to be a time period of training and not learn as you go. The amount of information needed is staggering and few seem to know the majority of their job details.

Implement a solid training period.

Sep 9, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for your input--I would be interested in learning more about what areas of training you feel were overlooked in order to improve our processes--please drop me a note at ... More

Terrible/absent leadership all around; employees treated unfairly

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart full-time

Pros

Unique business model...that's about it.

Cons

Leadership only looks out for themselves. Middle management is incompetent. Technology is old and dying. Employees are pigeon-holed into positions and never get promoted. They claim it's a flat organization but yet they are so top heavy it's a joke. Tech team is packed into basement and other areas of the office like sardines with no personal space whatsoever while executives and directors sit in their ivory tower offices and do nothing relying on the worker-bees underneath them giving them no credit when things go well. But when things go bad, they are sure to call you out on it. And don't expect HR to come to the rescue either...they are most unfriendly group in the company and terrible at communicating. Employees don't even get proper performance reviews and raises and bonus are given out based on popularity and 'fit'. This company is reactive and is always chasing problems vs. being proactive.

This is 2014 -- Invest in your technology and people. You are losing good talent due to poor management, lack of leadership and company vision. Before you decide to expand your business into other countries and making acquisitions, make sure your house is in working order first. Right now, Copart is nothing but a house of cards.

Oct 2, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for taking the time to fill out a review. I'm sorry to learn that your experience with Copart thus far has been anything but rewarding. While rapid expansion in staff during 2013 and the ... More

Dont get your hopes up!

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Copart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Pros. theres overtime....when they feel the need to use you...decent benifit package

Cons

upper managment (RGM and above) has no clue..they are out of touch with the staff....making a complaint about harrassment, safety issues, unfair practices are a JOKE..HR is not at the yards giving GMs all the power if their RGMs back them....every six months its firing season...TRAINING OF ANY POSITION IS NON EXISTENT...learn as you go if you dont pick it up....YOUR FIRED...poor performance...its at will employment!

Place a HR supervisor at every yard to deal with complaints...impliment and follow training procedures...GMs should be graded by staff anonymously to see if they are approachable with a open door policy, if there training methods are working to get the most out of each employee, is the GM fair and unbiased not showing favortism...etc;

Oct 2, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for your response. The Company is committed to providing our employees with a workplace free of harassment, where they can come to work in safe environment and be treated fairly and ... More

Deceptive Business Practices Growing Pains

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Copart as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

If you are looking for part time work but dont plan on a future here

Cons

Not very good at handling customer issues.

Management lacks the skills and the leader to deal with their client base. Open to the public and a lot of unsophisticated buyers who are regularly taken advantage of.

Don't relocate

I worked at Copart full-time

Pros

Excellent training at corporate.

Worked with quality managers until they were terminated.

Cons

High management turn over rate. Business is driven by insurance companies. Insurance companies manipulate Copart.
    The true side of insurance companies comes out. They expect service beyond their SLAs and contracts. Insurance companies behave like jealous children with unrealistic demands. Every insurance company is jealous of the other. You see why rates are so high.

Need turn around leadership.

ERP implementation timeline unrealistic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Copart (more than a year)

Pros

Solid IT work group. Good business model.

Cons

Unrealistic expectations of ERP conversion. Layoff of the wrong people at the wrong time.
    Disappointing benefits.

Listen to the people who are/will be doing the actually work.

A billion dollar company struggling to operate like a billion dollar company.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Copart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging work environment at the Yards and at Corporate office. Hard working respectful environment. Executive leadership has risen through the ranks and has a clear understanding of the business. Unique business model. Copart is poised for US and international growth and is financially solid.

Cons

Corporate office personnel are very scared after a series of layoffs scaling back certain business areas. Credible Fear of more reductions in force is now sickening the corporate office work productivity and the physical health of some employees. Some leadership seem to be embracing a "when they're down kick 'em harder" mentality to do more work with less personnel.

Corporate has reached a tipping point after the last series of layoffs. Some understandable. But, in 10 years I've never seen it so bad. Personnel, new and old, are so scared of future layoffs that industry leading professionals who love Copart are close to leaving. If you plan to keep people or lay people off please communicate these expectations honestly and early. People feel like they're not valued. Our word is our bond. It is much better to lay out clear expectations than leaving your employees in fear and affecting productivity and your bottom line.

Aug 4, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for your post. I'd like to take a moment to address the concerns you noted in your "cons" section as there has been a great deal of change in the Corporate office over the past year or so ... More

Nice place to work

Former Employee - Communications in Fairfield, CA
    Former Employee - Communications in Fairfield, CA

I worked at Copart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Growing company, good company culture (in theory if not practice), constant striving to make technology and market placement better, which leads to enthusiasm from portion of workforce that wants to be with growing company.

Cons

Management always takes care of management first, with little regard to affect on labor -- including big company move from Texas to California.

Really believe what you say you believe. It's obvious that key company values are all secondary to profit.

Aug 6, 2014Vice President Human Resources

Thanks for being willing to recommend us to a friend!

Copart, a Java centric shop needs to shed it's lackluster big dopey company image.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Copart full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good support from co-workers. Pays on time. Engineering management has there act somewhat together.

Cons

Commute not the best. Java centric shop so if you develop with something else you are on your own. Unrealistic project dates etc. Not invented here syndrome...

Copart needs to shed it's lackluster big dopey company image. Engineering needs to be modernized by using Agile methodolgies etc.

Jul 23, 2014Vice President Human Resources

As you probably have seen, we're taking steps to make sure employees DO get more engaged and that their ideas for improving our company are heard. If you haven't had a chance to attend any of our ... More